Jeff Wills said:
I recall that Shimano offered a 5-speed crank mounted transmission a couple years back- but
that's a fuzzy memory, and it was Japan-market-only. I have no idea whether it was ever sold
anywhere else.
Also, back in the 1970s there was a 3-speed crank/transmission setup that was made by Dana (better
known for car/truck differentials). It had a large cast aluminum housing and a very small chainring,
and two cables for the twist shifter. My father put one on my rescued-from-the-trash Schwinn
Stingray. It worked well, but it was definitely not for weight weenies.
When I outgrew it, I continued the weird drivetrain kick with a 1977 Schwinn Caliente (Positron II
rear derailleur and front freewheeling).
Now, instead of weird drivetrains, I've graduated to weird frames (recumbents).
--
Russ [email hidden] the wabbit to despam "The Segway: revolutionizing
the way people get hit by cars." -Robert Canon