UK and Europe · Public discussion

Bottom gear on a Dawes Galaxy

Started by vernon · · Last activity · 26 posts · 910 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
2 July 2005
Last activity
5 July 2005
Original author
vernon
Posts
26
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
910
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 26
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I currently have a 22 tooth granny ring and a 28 tooth rear sproket on my
    Dawes Galaxy giving a bottom gear of around 21 inches. Is there any point
    in investing in a cassette with a 32 tooth sprocket to get an 18" bottom
    gear?

    What bottom gears do the tourers use here on u.r.c. ?

  2. vernon said:

    I currently have a 22 tooth granny ring and a 28 tooth rear sproket on my
    Dawes Galaxy giving a bottom gear of around 21 inches. Is there any point
    in investing in a cassette with a 32 tooth sprocket to get an 18" bottom
    gear?

    What bottom gears do the tourers use here on u.r.c. ?

    Depends how slow you can cycle and still stay upright IME. My hill
    climbing is limited by balance and not by gear inches (assuming a
    reasonably low gear is available)

    --
    Tony

    "I did make a mistake once - I thought I'd made a mistake but I hadn't"
    Anon

  3. vernon said:

    I currently have a 22 tooth granny ring and a 28 tooth rear sproket on my
    Dawes Galaxy giving a bottom gear of around 21 inches. Is there any point
    in investing in a cassette with a 32 tooth sprocket to get an 18" bottom
    gear?

    What bottom gears do the tourers use here on u.r.c. ?

    Yow! That's way lower than anything I've ever had on either a tourer or
    an MTB, for loaded touring including in mountainous terrain such as the
    Schwarzwald, the Alps, and central Italy.

    In North Wales on a 1983 tourer having a 42/34 (35 inch?) granny gear
    I learned to discipline myself _not_ to use bottom gear on some of the
    passes. It simply induced me to go too slowly, get impatient, speed
    up, and get knackered (I've never been fit enough to carry on past the
    point where I'm panting). And that was also carrying full camping gear.

    --
    Nick Kew

  4. "Nick Kew" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    vernon said:

    I currently have a 22 tooth granny ring and a 28 tooth rear sproket on


    my

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Dawes Galaxy giving a bottom gear of around 21 inches. Is there any


    point

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    in investing in a cassette with a 32 tooth sprocket to get an 18" bottom
    gear?

    What bottom gears do the tourers use here on u.r.c. ?

    Yow! That's way lower than anything I've ever had on either a tourer or
    an MTB, for loaded touring including in mountainous terrain such as the
    Schwarzwald, the Alps, and central Italy.

    In North Wales on a 1983 tourer having a 42/34 (35 inch?) granny gear
    I learned to discipline myself _not_ to use bottom gear on some of the
    passes. It simply induced me to go too slowly, get impatient, speed
    up, and get knackered (I've never been fit enough to carry on past the
    point where I'm panting). And that was also carrying full camping gear.

    I have a mental crossover point where I compare the cycling speed with
    walking speed and if there's a close match I will get off and push *but*
    sometimes there is a psychological victory to be had if you can just crest
    the summit of a long drag. I am not frightened of getting off to push. I
    had
    some longish walks on the Ron Kitching memorial ride last weekend :-) I
    am just wondering if there is anything to be gained by having an even lower
    gear than I already have. Being less porky and carrying less gear is
    probably
    a better solution I think on reflection.

  5. in message <[email hidden]>, Tony Raven

    (') said:
    vernon said:

    I currently have a 22 tooth granny ring and a 28 tooth rear sproket
    on my
    Dawes Galaxy giving a bottom gear of around 21 inches. Is there any
    point in investing in a cassette with a 32 tooth sprocket to get an
    18" bottom gear?

    What bottom gears do the tourers use here on u.r.c. ?

    Depends how slow you can cycle and still stay upright IME. My hill
    climbing is limited by balance and not by gear inches (assuming a
    reasonably low gear is available)

    From mountain biking experience, on a hill steep enough to use that gear
    your main problem will be keeping the front wheel on the ground.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
    ;; Our modern industrial economy takes a mountain covered with trees,
    ;; lakes, running streams and transforms it into a mountain of junk,
    ;; garbage, slime pits, and debris. -- Edward Abbey

  6. Quoted message said:

    From mountain biking experience, on a hill steep enough to use that gear
    your main problem will be keeping the front wheel on the ground.

    Ah but I'm a lard ass and any assistance that will help to battle gravity is
    welcome :-)

    Have been giving the matter some though since originally posting the
    message. What
    I'd like to do has more to do with what I think I'd like to do and that is
    to conquer more
    hills than I currently do. As someone who had peaked at 24 stone when first
    returning
    to cycling *all* hills were a challenge at the beginning.

    My weight has been roller coastering over the past few years and
    encouragingly is on
    a downward trend at the moment and is just above 20 st. I'm coming round to
    the idea
    that further weight loss and packing less gear in my panniers may well have
    a similar
    effect to lowering the bottom gear. I now have a new question...

    what percentage weight loss would offer the same advantage as going from a
    21" gear to 18" ?

    I hope it's not a direct(ly?) proportional relationship...losing a seventh
    of my bodyweight is not
    an option over the next five weeks..

  7. vernon <[email hidden]> wrote:

    : what percentage weight loss would offer the same advantage as going from a
    : 21" gear to 18" ?

    Very little I suspect. Loosing only a few kilos makes an ernormous difference
    on the hills.

    Certainly loosing 5 kilos would be *way* more difference than that. I suspect
    that as little as a couple of kilos would make that much difference.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune PGP/GPG Key: http://www.clune.org/pubkey.txt
    The struggle of people against power is the struggle
    of memory against forgetting - Milan Kundera

  8. vernon said:

    I currently have a 22 tooth granny ring and a 28 tooth rear sproket
    on my Dawes Galaxy giving a bottom gear of around 21 inches. Is
    there any point in investing in a cassette with a 32 tooth sprocket
    to get an 18" bottom gear?

    What bottom gears do the tourers use here on u.r.c. ?

    I don't exactly qualify as a "tourer" but I have a bike that does :-)
    ......24 x 30: gets me and a heavy load of luggage up some very steep
    hills. But you should have whatever *you* want. It's always worth
    experimenting with gears.

    Note: an "MTB" rear mech will probably be needed for a 32T.

    Re balance: Mountain bikers manage 22x32 (and that's with a 26" wheel) so
    why shouldn't tourers too?

    ~PB

  9. Quoted message said:

    I don't exactly qualify as a "tourer" but I have a bike that does :-)
    .....24 x 30: gets me and a heavy load of luggage up some very steep
    hills. But you should have whatever *you* want. It's always worth
    experimenting with gears.

    Weight loss as mentioned elsewhere in the thread might be a viable
    alternative.

    Quoted message said:


    Note: an "MTB" rear mech will probably be needed for a 32T.

    I think the Alivio that I have fitted is an MTB mech

    Quoted message said:


    Re balance: Mountain bikers manage 22x32 (and that's with a 26" wheel) so
    why shouldn't tourers too?

    The more that I think about the gearing the more I see it as a 'security
    blanket' issue
    the hills that currently make me get off and push are likely to be the same
    hills that
    I get off and push for regardless of the gearing as I'm sure that some of
    the hill climbing
    problems I have are in my head and I tire mentally before I tire physically.
    The thought
    that I could conquer more hills with lower gearing may well be pie in the
    sky. Besides,
    weightloss is a healthier alternative :-)

  10. "vernon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I currently have a 22 tooth granny ring and a 28 tooth rear sproket on my
    Dawes Galaxy giving a bottom gear of around 21 inches. Is there any point
    in investing in a cassette with a 32 tooth sprocket to get an 18" bottom
    gear?

    What bottom gears do the tourers use here on u.r.c. ?

    I have 22 front and 34 rear. I find I need it riding mountains with four
    panniers and a tent. Still have to push on occasions.

    Ken.

  11. vernon said:

    The more that I think about the gearing the more I see it as a
    'security blanket' issue
    the hills that currently make me get off and push are likely to be
    the same hills that
    I get off and push for regardless of the gearing as I'm sure that
    some of the hill climbing
    problems I have are in my head and I tire mentally before I tire
    physically. The thought
    that I could conquer more hills with lower gearing may well be pie in
    the sky.

    I'm not sure you'd get off and push if cycling was physically easier than
    walking, and that point does come when the hill is steep enough and the
    gear low enough.

    Quoted message said:

    Besides, weightloss is a healthier alternative :-)

    Bad news: some of us skinny geezers find climbing hard work too :-)

    ~PB

  12. Pete Biggs <p@honeydewbiggs{remove_melon}.tc> wrote:

    : Bad news: some of us skinny geezers find climbing hard work too :-)

    "It never gets any easier, you just go faster". Greg LeMond.

    --
    Arthur Clune PGP/GPG Key: http://www.clune.org/pubkey.txt
    The struggle of people against power is the struggle
    of memory against forgetting - Milan Kundera

  13. vernon said:

    I currently have a 22 tooth granny ring and a 28 tooth rear sproket on my
    Dawes Galaxy giving a bottom gear of around 21 inches. Is there any point
    in investing in a cassette with a 32 tooth sprocket to get an 18" bottom
    gear?

    Quoted message said:

    What bottom gears do the tourers use here on u.r.c. ?

    Mine's just under 23" on the Streetmachine (30 -> 34 driving a 26"
    wheel). It's got me up everything I've ever tried short of some
    silly off-road on gravel, with full camping gear. It's a heavy
    bike to start with, and 4 panniers full makes it quite a tank, and
    I'm not exactly a bean-pole either. When I re-gear it, though,
    I'll take it down to about 19", but do bear in mind it *is* a fair
    bit heavier than the Galaxy and I can't stand up on the pedals even
    if I want to.

    Roos has just geared her Fiero down with the front chainmwheel
    going from 52 to 42 before it hits the DualDrive 11-34 and 20"
    wheel, which gives about 18-19" at the bottom IIRC. However, that
    hasn't completely solve her problems with hills to the extent she'd
    hoped because you've still got to do the work, and she's had most
    of her cycling career in a country with no hills. The fact remains
    that the best way to get good at hills is do lots of hills :-(

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  14. Simon Brooke said:

    From mountain biking experience, on a hill steep enough to use that gear
    your main problem will be keeping the front wheel on the ground.

    The tourer's perspective isn't as steep, but may well involve
    several miles of it over a day with more the next day and 4
    panniers full of camping gear.
    IME the MTB equivalent of a Nasty touring hill is a moderate (by
    MTB standards) slope but a long one, on a grass meadow without a
    track through it... Any given meter of travel is not a technical
    problem, but a few hundred of those meters do sap energy and have
    me clicking through to the low gears.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  15. "Arthur Clune" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    vernon <[email hidden]> wrote:

    : what percentage weight loss would offer the same advantage as going from


    a

    Quoted message said:

    : 21" gear to 18" ?

    Very little I suspect. Loosing only a few kilos makes an ernormous


    difference

    Quoted message said:

    on the hills.

    Certainly loosing 5 kilos would be *way* more difference than that. I


    suspect

    Quoted message said:

    that as little as a couple of kilos would make that much difference.


    I did an Audax today and am 4.5 kg lighter than I was last week. I found
    the hills easier going
    and was faster in my opinion on nearly all of them.. Now if I could lose the
    weight of my
    camping gear before I do LEJOG I migh be able to complete it at the
    mid-range Audax speeds :-)

    Vernon

  16. "Arthur Clune" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Pete Biggs <p@honeydewbiggs{remove_melon}.tc> wrote:

    : Bad news: some of us skinny geezers find climbing hard work too :-)

    "It never gets any easier, you just go faster". Greg LeMond.


    I can never aspire to compare myself with the likes of LeMond but i did
    find myself, at times today,
    travelling faster than I normally would for the same exertion on an Audax
    ride. Perhaps if I dropped
    8 stone a better comaparision could be made :-)

  17. vernon <[email hidden]> wrote:

    : I can never aspire to compare myself with the likes of LeMond but i did
    : find myself, at times today,
    : travelling faster than I normally would for the same exertion on an Audax
    : ride.

    It does make a lot of difference doesn't it? And it'll only get better as
    you continue to lose the weight

    : Perhaps if I dropped
    : 8 stone a better comaparision could be made :-)

    Sadly, even when you weigh the same as the pros, the lack of lungs and legs
    shows ;(

    --
    Arthur Clune PGP/GPG Key: http://www.clune.org/pubkey.txt
    The struggle of people against power is the struggle
    of memory against forgetting - Milan Kundera

  18. vernon said:

    What bottom gears do the tourers use here on u.r.c. ?

    Speedmachine: 24/34, 559 wheel = 17"
    Mountain bike: 22/34, 559 wheel = 16"
    Trice: 24/34, 406 wheel = 13"

    --
    Dave Larrington - <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/>
    Never tie your shoelaces in a revolving door.

  19. Arthur Clune said:

    : Perhaps if I dropped
    : 8 stone a better comaparision could be made :-)

    Sadly, even when you weigh the same as the pros, the lack of lungs and legs
    shows ;(

    True enough, but an 8 stone lighter version of Vernon would kick the
    current one's [censored] on any hill.

    --
    Dave...

    Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the
    future of the human race. - H. G. Wells

  20. Dave Larrington said:
    vernon said:

    What bottom gears do the tourers use here on u.r.c. ?

    Speedmachine: 24/34, 559 wheel = 17"
    Mountain bike: 22/34, 559 wheel = 16"
    Trice: 24/34, 406 wheel = 13"


    Help the thicko out please. . .

    My old MTB has 28/38/48 and 14/16/18/21/24/28/32 gears. I was hoping to
    use it for touring now that I've acquired a full suspension rig for the
    hills. I was a bit worried that, with road tyres, I'd not have a high
    enough top gear for decent speed. However, I'm now also worried that the
    weight of any luggage will result in not enough low gear either. Am I
    missing something?

    (and where do these 17"/16" figures come from?

    druidh

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.