Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

BR tomorrow ...anyone ... anyone ... Bueller?

Started by DaveB · · Last activity · 10 posts · 648 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
28 October 2006
Last activity
29 October 2006
Original author
DaveB
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
648
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Round The Bay is over, magpies are going back into hibernation, good day
    forecast, anyone coming out for a ride in the hills. Daylight savings
    starts tonight but I refuse to acknowledge that till Monday so I'll be
    at the starting point 7:30 winter time/8:30 summer time.

    DaveB

  2. pass - 148kms today in the hail, rain, hills... I'm having a sleep in!

  3. Forecast for Sunday: Fine. Some morning cloud clearing to a mostly sunny afternoon with light to moderate southerly winds.

    We may be heading somewhere, not sure, for a spin. The Bloke maybe going for a longer spin, as he's ceased tapering since the last 200km Alpine. Also not sure where he's heading either, possibly Kingslake?

    BTW - the hail this morning was bit of a *novelty*. 😉

  4. cfsmtb said:

    Forecast for Sunday: Fine. Some morning cloud clearing to a mostly sunny afternoon with light to moderate southerly winds.

    We may be heading somewhere, not sure, for a spin. The Bloke maybe going for a longer spin, as he's ceased tapering since the last 200km Alpine. Also not sure where he's heading either, possibly Kingslake?

    BTW - the hail this morning was bit of a *novelty*. 😉

    Not where I was it wasn't!

  5. I'm in! free at last...

  6. cfsmtb said:

    BTW - the hail this morning was bit of a *novelty*. 😉

    I'll give ya bloody *novelty*.....Mt Macedon, 8am this morning riding over the top & it starts snowing, -1 deg...oh well, methinks...could be worse...& tho it did get worse....next minute its hailing bloody golf balls!....Now I reckon me Met strad is awesome because of the huge vents for airflow....I didn't reckon on getting concussion from being attacked by golf balls!...bloody *novelty*...I reckon another few hours & a few more stiff scotches (strictly medicinal you understand!) I might be able to feel me nose again!

  7. Hitchy said:

    I'll give ya bloody *novelty*.....Mt Macedon, 8am this morning riding over the top & it starts snowing, -1 deg...oh well, methinks...could be worse...& tho it did get worse....next minute its hailing bloody golf balls!....Now I reckon me Met strad is awesome because of the huge vents for airflow....I didn't reckon on getting concussion from being attacked by golf balls!...bloody *novelty*...I reckon another few hours & a few more stiff scotches (strictly medicinal you understand!) I might be able to feel me nose again!

    You needed to wait until today. Cold, but not hailing. Mt Donna Buang was lovely for my first ride up there this morning.

    Ritch

  8. On 2006-10-29, ritcho (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

    Quoted message said:


    Hitchy said:

    I'll give ya bloody *novelty*.....Mt Macedon, 8am this morning riding
    over the top & it starts snowing, -1 deg...oh well, methinks...could be
    worse...& tho it did get worse....next minute its hailing bloody golf
    balls!....Now I reckon me Met strad is awesome because of the huge
    vents for airflow....I didn't reckon on getting concussion from being
    attacked by golf balls!...bloody *novelty*...I reckon another few hours
    & a few more stiff scotches (strictly medicinal you understand!) I might
    be able to feel me nose again!

    You needed to wait until today. Cold, but not hailing. Mt Donna Buang
    was lovely for my first ride up there this morning.

    I ended up doing a 150.06km ride (ok, I admit it, I did a few laps
    around town when I realised I'd get home with 146km on the clock).

    I went up to Baradine to have morning tea, then when I got back to
    Bugaldie, I decided to go for a lap around the warrumbungles -- I knew
    there was a road, and a sign said 57km to the national park (ie, I
    would arrive at the park after having done 125km, with only another
    40km to home past the observatory. But I took a "short cut"[1]. This
    "short cut" saw me do about 31km of very poor condition dirt road. 1
    puncture later, and a motorist who pulled up whilst I was fixing it
    said "geez, you're a long way from Timor road. You probably just want
    to go back into town and then come out the other way instead. Oh
    well, the dirt road finishes in 10-12km, then you've got another 20 to
    go". After 13km, I finally found the turnoff and bitumin. 44km of
    very very slow lumpy and/or very soft dirt, on a road bike. Poor
    bike. That works out to about 80km, of sealed road, doesn't it --
    well when you calculate that you've got to go up and down every
    corrugation 🙂 I bonked somewhere along there, and was averaging about
    15km back into town on the bitumin. Ha, mum said the last part would
    be easy -- all downhill. Except the several km long gradual climb
    that I was doing at 12km/h.

    So only took off 15 or so km from my intended route, added about 30km
    of dirt on my intended route, and didn't get to go around the
    warrumbungles, as my "short cut" veered to the north of the mountain
    range, bringing me back where I turned off originally. Maybe next
    time, eh?

    I ended up being out on the bike pretty much all day -- 6 hours in the
    end, plus a bit extra sunshine when eating and fixing all of 3
    punctures (two of which because previous patches had failed -- it's
    very hard to make a clean patch when there's red dirt getting every).

    [1] Well, not really -- only had a memory of a very vague map to go
    on, and had no idea whether my turnoff would be signposted, or where I
    was otherwise meant to turn off. But I did look at the direction the
    road seemed to be going in, and noted that the bungles *seemed* to be
    petering out.

    --
    TimC
    "If American bicycle advocacy leaders had championed the civil rights
    movement, the "Dream" would have been reserved seating in the back
    of the bus." - Jack R. Taylor

  9. On 2006-10-29, TimC (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

    Quoted message said:

    I ended up doing a 150.06km ride (ok, I admit it, I did a few laps
    around town when I realised I'd get home with 146km on the clock).

    http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Coonabarabran-baradine-bugaldie-warrumbungles-tootle

    136km, because I deliberately didn't put in my doublings-back (mostly
    on dirt road, dammit). I'm surprised that I managed to find on the
    map what I'm pretty sure is the exact route I took. It's amazing just
    how little I was off getting the right route just by looking at where
    the sun was. If only the road continued on through that scrub... just
    a little further 🙂

    I should duplicate that, and modify it with the route I *intended* to
    take (removing the baradine visit, because baradine's not all that
    great 🙂

    I might visit the intended route in the car (hmm, maybe not the
    observatory car, unless I can work in some mneumonic, eg
    S(ite)-H(ome)-S(afari), in the logbook, and clean the car afterwards),
    because I remember quite a fair bit of dirt on even the road I was
    meant to take -- if there's dirt also getting to that road, then it
    might just be a bit too much dirt for my liking.

    Now, I now need to go ravage a kangaroo. Tootly pips!

    --
    TimC
    That's why I love VoIP. You don't get people phoning up to complain that the
    network is down. -- Peter Corlett in ASR

  10. "TimC" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On 2006-10-29, TimC (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

    Quoted message said:

    I ended up doing a 150.06km ride (ok, I admit it, I did a few laps
    around town when I realised I'd get home with 146km on the clock).

    http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Coonabarabran-baradine-bugaldie-warrumbungles-tootle

    136km, because I deliberately didn't put in my doublings-back (mostly
    on dirt road, dammit). I'm surprised that I managed to find on the
    map what I'm pretty sure is the exact route I took. It's amazing just
    how little I was off getting the right route just by looking at where
    the sun was. If only the road continued on through that scrub... just
    a little further 🙂

    I should duplicate that, and modify it with the route I *intended* to
    take (removing the baradine visit, because baradine's not all that
    great 🙂

    I might visit the intended route in the car (hmm, maybe not the
    observatory car, unless I can work in some mneumonic, eg
    S(ite)-H(ome)-S(afari), in the logbook, and clean the car afterwards),
    because I remember quite a fair bit of dirt on even the road I was
    meant to take -- if there's dirt also getting to that road, then it
    might just be a bit too much dirt for my liking.

    Now, I now need to go ravage a kangaroo. Tootly pips!


    You so need to get a girlfriend...

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.