Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Brake caliper pivot nut / shoulder nut question

Started by Spizz · · Last activity · 6 posts · 2,260 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
16 September 2009
Last activity
17 September 2009
Original author
Spizz
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,260
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Greetings all

    A question from a first time bike builder that I am sure has a simple answer. ( I just want to be sure I am doing this task correctly) :

    I am fitting a Dura Ace BR-7800 caliper to an Easton EC70 carbon fork.

    With regards to selecting the correct "pivot nut" / "sunken nut" length, the Shimano documentation states to " use nuts of the appropriate length which can be turned six times or more ".

    Question is: (looking at attached pic.), should the surface that the pivot nut contacts the aperture in the fork be at its head (red arrow) or at its end (blue arrow) ? ... or does it not matter ? 😕

    Cheers
    Spizz

  2. Spizz said:

    Greetings all

    A question from a first time bike builder that I am sure has a simple answer. ( I just want to be sure I am doing this task correctly) :

    I am fitting a Dura Ace BR-7800 caliper to an Easton EC70 carbon fork.

    With regards to selecting the correct "pivot nut" / "sunken nut" length, the Shimano documentation states to " use nuts of the appropriate length which can be turned six times or more ".

    Question is: (looking at attached pic.), should the surface that the pivot nut contacts the aperture in the fork be at its head (red arrow) or at its end (blue arrow) ? ... or does it not matter ? 😕

    Cheers
    Spizz

    Blue arrow goes into the fork.

  3. Spizz said:

    Greetings all

    A question from a first time bike builder that I am sure has a simple answer. ( I just want to be sure I am doing this task correctly) :

    I am fitting a Dura Ace BR-7800 caliper to an Easton EC70 carbon fork.

    With regards to selecting the correct "pivot nut" / "sunken nut" length, the Shimano documentation states to " use nuts of the appropriate length which can be turned six times or more ".

    Question is: (looking at attached pic.), should the surface that the pivot nut contacts the aperture in the fork be at its head (red arrow) or at its end (blue arrow) ? ... or does it not matter ? 😕

    Cheers
    Spizz

    The blue end goes first into the hole. As the Shimano blurb says, you should be able to get the nut on the bolt with 6 turns. When torqued appropriately. The red end of the nut should be partially or fully recessed into the rear of the fork.

  4. Thank you for the quick replies.
    Yes, definitely the blue end goes first in the hole. (would be impossible to tighten it the other way around!)

    To clarify, which end should bottom out first? The flanged part at the head (red), or the end closer to the caliper (blue) ?

    Cheers
    Spizz

  5. Can't help you[img]meiguozhuji.net6.gif[/img]

  6. The red end has to be bottom first, else the brakes won't remain in position.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.