Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Brake drop: Campag vs Shimano?, etc.

Started by Pete Biggs · · Last activity · 11 posts · 1,428 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
28 April 2003
Last activity
29 April 2003
Original author
Pete Biggs
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,428
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Of the current ranges of dual pivot front brake calipers, which make allows the pads to be set
    the lowest?

    Officially, Campag say 42 - 52mm, Shimano: 49mm (centre?), but what about the reality in practice?

    Any problem with filing the bottom of the slot a bit? Dangerous?

    Do Shimano calipers work well with Campag levers?

    I want to fit a good front brake to an old bike with mudguards (fenders) and 27" front wheel. I
    reckon a modern Campag caliper would provide the reach for this, but would also like enough reach
    for a 700c wheel in future - without resorting to bodges or any CrappyBrand deep-drop types if can
    be avoided.

    Currently, the bike has a Weinnman centre-pull and I'll soon be fitting Ergo levers. I know the
    combination of those two is supposed to be reasonable (levers being more important than calipers and
    all that), but would still prefer a modern d/p for the lighter-action and also to get better cable
    routing (would be a sharp bend from handlebar to cable hanger otherwise). But still any
    comments/ideas on using the centre-pulls in my situation would be appreciated.

    note. Drilling the (531) forks should be no problem (hopefully!) to take allen key-type brakes if
    necessary.

    cheers ~PB

  2. Quoted message said:

    allows the pads to be set the lowest?

    Officially, Campag say 42 - 52mm, Shimano: 49mm (centre?), but what about the reality in practice?

    Shimano makes "long reach" (47mm to 57mm) dual pivot brakes. Checkout :
    peterwhitecycles.comBrakes.asp

  3. Quoted message said:

    Shimano makes "long reach" (47mm to 57mm) dual pivot brakes. Checkout :
    peterwhitecycles.comBrakes.asp

    Thanks very much, but do they otherwise work as well as the normal-reach ones?

    ~PB

  4. Please note that I would still like the info on standard reach calipers because I'm not sure I'll
    need long reach ones. The standard brakes will be easier and cheaper for me to buy.

    ~PB (UK)

  5. "Pete Biggs" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Shimano makes "long reach" (47mm to 57mm) dual pivot brakes. Checkout :
    peterwhitecycles.comBrakes.asp

    Thanks very much, but do they otherwise work as well as the normal-reach ones?

    ~PB

    I've had these on my audax bike for the last five years and I think they work pretty damn good.
    However, I haven't ridden any other road bikes so don't know how they compare. Paul.

  6. Pete Biggs <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Shimano makes "long reach" (47mm to 57mm) dual pivot brakes. Checkout :
    peterwhitecycles.comBrakes.asp

    Thanks very much, but do they otherwise work as well as the normal-reach ones?

    I wouldn't think you would be able to tell the difference in use. Any difference will be just
    down to the extra reach, so both should be the same at the same reach (48mm ish) - you'll loose
    some leverage even between the top and bottom of the adjustment slot on the same brake,
    theoretically speaking.

    No need to go to the US for them - they are widely available here - you may also be able to find
    some of the old stock RX100s or 105s as a cheaper alternative to the new models (or more expensive
    in the case of the Bandits of Bridgwater)

    Filing the slots should be OK, within reason (don't go right through)

    Lots of folk sell all-Campag Audax bikes, except for Shimano deep drop brakes.

    Spa Cycles are advertising the RX100 deep drop brakes in nut fitting at £45, which would save the
    possibility of getting the fork crown drilling wrong, and a Tektro 47-57 dual pivot brake at £30,

    Andrew

  7. "Pete Biggs" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Of the current ranges of dual pivot front brake calipers,


    which make

    Quoted message said:

    allows the pads to be set the lowest?

    Officially, Campag say 42 - 52mm, Shimano: 49mm (centre?),


    but what about

    Quoted message said:

    the reality in practice?

    Any problem with filing the bottom of the slot a bit?


    Dangerous?

    Quoted message said:


    Do Shimano calipers work well with Campag levers?

    I want to fit a good front brake to an old bike with


    mudguards (fenders)

    Quoted message said:

    and 27" front wheel. I reckon a modern Campag caliper


    would provide the

    Quoted message said:

    reach for this, but would also like enough reach for a


    700c wheel in

    Quoted message said:

    future - without resorting to bodges or any CrappyBrand


    deep-drop types if

    Quoted message said:

    can be avoided.

    Currently, the bike has a Weinnman centre-pull and I'll


    soon be fitting

    Quoted message said:

    Ergo levers. I know the combination of those two is


    supposed to be

    Quoted message said:

    reasonable (levers being more important than calipers and


    all that), but

    Quoted message said:

    would still prefer a modern d/p for the lighter-action and


    also to get

    Quoted message said:

    better cable routing (would be a sharp bend from handlebar


    to cable hanger

    Quoted message said:

    otherwise). But still any comments/ideas on using the


    centre-pulls in my

    Quoted message said:

    situation would be appreciated.

    note. Drilling the (531) forks should be no problem


    (hopefully!) to take

    Quoted message said:

    allen key-type brakes if necessary.

    cheers ~PB

    A. E. Bike - aebike.compage.cfm - lists some long reach/57mm
    double pivot road calipers - including Shimano R-600's and some cheaper Tektro
    521A/521AG. Their prices are not bad....

  8. "Pete Biggs" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Please note that I would still like the info on standard reach calipers because I'm not sure I'll
    need long reach ones. The standard brakes will be easier and cheaper for me to buy.

    ~PB (UK)

    A confusion in terminology- current "long-reach" is the same as the old standard reach. The new
    "standard" reach is the same as the old "short" reach. If the vertical distance between the center
    bolt and the center of the brake pad is less than 57mm, you can use any of the current crop of
    longer-reach dual pivot calipers: harriscyclery.netpage.cfm
    harriscyclery.netpage.cfm
    harriscyclery.netpage.cfm
    harriscyclery.netpage.cfm
    harriscyclery.netpage.cfm

    I dunno about the availability of the Tektro calipers in the U.K.

    Jeff

  9. Update: I've worked out that a long-reach front brake isn't required - even for a 700c wheel.

    I'd like to try using the spare _rear_ Campag Avanti d/p I've already got using the tricks described
    at: sheldonbrown.comgloss r.html ...But I'll need either a extra-extra-long nut or
    an alternative way or securing the mudguard. Help!! :-)

    The longest recessed nut I know of is 18mm (shaft). That isn't enough (but I'm not yet sure what
    will be; just a few more mm should do). Are there any longer than 18mm?

    ~PB

  10. Pete Biggs said:

    I'd like to try using the spare _rear_ Campag Avanti d/p I've already got using the tricks
    described at: sheldonbrown.comgloss r.html ...But I'll need either a
    extra-extra-long nut or an alternative way or securing the mudguard. Help!! :-)

    On second thoughts, that'll be over-ambitious and possibly dangerous for a brake with such a short
    bolt. I think the SB tips are for front brakes only!

    Drat, thought that was a really cheap & good solution for a moment :-(

    ~PB

  11. In uk.rec.cycling Pete Biggs <[email hidden]> wrote:

    : Drat, thought that was a really cheap & good solution for a moment :-(

    I suggest that the best (and still pretty cheap) solution would be some long-reach Shimano
    dual-pivots. I've got some (which I'm not willing to part with I'm afraid!) and they work every bit
    as well as the short-reach ones (and I've got Record brakes on the race bike..)

    It means that you'll be running the blocks in the middle of the range, not the extreme which will
    just make life soooo much less faffy.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune clune.orgclune.org Power is delightful. Absolute power is absolutely delightful -
    Lord Lester

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.