rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Brakes on a Coker?

Started by Daytripper63 · · Last activity · 17 posts · 505 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
4 November 2005
Last activity
8 November 2005
Original author
Daytripper63
Posts
17
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
505
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–17 of 17
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. What all do you use your brakes for on your uni? BESIDES STOPPING or
    SLOWING DOWN?
    This is my thought sometimes when freemounting my coker, if a curb is
    present I will butt the tire against for easier mounting but if I had a
    brake could I just grab the brake to stop the wheel just like if I were
    against the curb... Is this a reality? Is anyone doing this or ?

    --
    Daytripper63
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Daytripper63's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10789
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44487

  2. i think it would work well...just find someone witha coker with brake
    and try it before spending the money

    --
    trials_uni

    You can't get up and try it again if you don't fall first.
    -Phil
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    trials_uni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10953
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44487

  3. I don't know how much that would help...it might help a little, but I
    think its a little bit unnecessary if you can just static mount, and
    anyone can static mount with practice.

    <threadjack>
    I'm thinkin about getting a brake for my coker. would it be possible
    to mount the brake lever on my GB4 handle, instead of needing to get a
    new seat post with a brake mount on it? then my hand would already be
    in the right position anyway, I wouldn't need to reach under and grab
    it.
    </threadjack>

    --
    James_Potter

    to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

    michael atkinson
    mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
    President of the '_MRIS_' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    James_Potter's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3807
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44487

  4. It doesn't work the same way, because with the brake applied the frame
    cannot move freely about the wheel. In order for the frame to go from
    angled back to vertical with the brake applied the wheel (and cranks)
    would have rotate forward.

    --
    ThisGuyIKnow
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ThisGuyIKnow's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10203
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44487

  5. ThisGuyIKnow said:

    It doesn't work the same way, because with the brake applied the frame
    cannot move freely about the wheel. In order for the frame to go from
    angled back to vertical with the brake applied the wheel (and cranks)
    would have rotate forward.

    ooh, thats a good point...so it wouldn't just hold the wheel still, it
    would hold the wheel still in relation to the frame and seat. and
    while you're mounting, you -need- the frame/seat to move up over the
    wheel.

    --
    James_Potter

    to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

    michael atkinson
    mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
    President of the '_MRIS_' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    James_Potter's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3807
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44487

  6. ThisGuyIKnow said:

    It doesn't work the same way, because with the brake applied the frame
    cannot move freely about the wheel. In order for the frame to go from
    angled back to vertical with the brake applied the wheel (and cranks)
    would have rotate forward.

    Ahh I knew if I asked someone would have the answer! THANKS
    I was just wondering if there was any other benefit to brakes on a
    coker but I guess not so with that I think my legs are good enough for
    slowing down and dont see a current need for the brakes.(unless someone
    can tell/show me why)

    --
    Daytripper63
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Daytripper63's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10789
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44487

  7. Brakes are for going down hill more easily

    --
    ThisGuyIKnow
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ThisGuyIKnow's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10203
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44487

  8. ThisGuyIKnow said:

    Brakes are for going down hill more easily

    I think I would rather get the leg workout, i like the feel of the
    torque when going down hill and trying to hold it back

    --
    Daytripper63
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Daytripper63's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10789
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44487

  9. You obviously haven't yet had the pleasure of riding down any *long* or
    *steep* hills. The ones where you either get sore later, or get
    rubber-legged trying to hold the uni back. If you do this regularly,
    you'll really appreciate a brake. Roseville hills = small/easy. Try
    riding up and down El Dorado Hills, Auburn or similar for good
    examples.

    My commute (Carmichael to Rancho Cordova) is pretty flat; no brake
    needed. But I like having it there for those occasions when I'm on the
    big hills.

    You should be able to mount using the brake. It wouldn't be any
    different than a regular static mount, depending how much you let the
    wheel move when doing one of those. But I don't know anyone who does it
    that way.

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com" -- www.unicycling.com

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/) -- 'USA Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    johnfoss's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/832
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44487

  10. It may be useful to have a brake for really steep grades, but in
    general, you can go down some pretty steep inclines without a brake as
    long as you look well ahead, and let the wheel 'roll' under you. If
    you're tensing all the way down a hill, your legs will feel like jelly
    at the bottom, and you really will need a brake. Braking should be
    done in bursts, so yank hard on your handle and put as much pressure on
    the pedal to slow down when you need to (eg around cornesrs), but when
    just going straight, look ahead, relax, and let the wheel roll. Your
    legs will thank you, and you might not need a brake.

    --
    GizmoDuck

    o-kO
    'www.adventureunicyclist.com' (http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/) -
    check out my new and improved website
    'Laos Unicycle Tour' (http://www.laosunitour.org)
    'New Zealand Unicycle Federation' (http://www.unicycle.org.nz)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GizmoDuck's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/794
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44487

  11. johnfoss said:

    You should be able to mount using the brake. It wouldn't be any
    different than a regular static mount, depending how much you let the
    wheel move when doing one of those. But I don't know anyone who does it
    that way.

    But in a static mount the pedals stay more or less horizontal, and the
    seat post moves about 45 degrees. To static mount with the brake
    activated the pedals would have to roll 45 degrees forward as the
    seatpost moves to vertical.

    Obviously it would be possible, but would actually be harder than a
    regual static mount, since the pedals and seatpost would have to move
    together.

    --
    ThisGuyIKnow
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ThisGuyIKnow's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10203
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44487

  12. Daytripper63 said:

    What all do you use your brakes for on your uni? BESIDES STOPPING or
    SLOWING DOWN?

    I never use my brake for stopping or slowing down...that's the quickest
    path to a flight over the front bar. I apply it at the start of a hill
    so I can remain at the speed I'm already traveling. The advantage of
    the brake is it allows you to maintain a smooth pedaling cadence down
    the hill, versus fighting the hill in half pedal increments.

    And yes, it can be beneficial when trying to remount on a steep
    downhill, although there is a certain touch you need to develop. Or at
    least I did. The first few times I tried it, my key learning was I
    needed to try it a few more times.

    --
    tomblackwood

    Tailgate at your own risk...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tomblackwood's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3762
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44487

  13. James_Potter said:

    I don't know how much that would help...it might help a little, but I
    think its a little bit unnecessary if you can just static mount, and
    anyone can static mount with practice.

    <threadjack>
    I'm thinkin about getting a brake for my coker. would it be possible
    to mount the brake lever on my GB4 handle, instead of needing to get a
    new seat post with a brake mount on it? then my hand would already be
    in the right position anyway, I wouldn't need to reach under and grab
    it.
    </threadjack>

    Here's how I did it. I brazed on a short piece of tubing for the brake
    lever to the GB handle. It works great the lever position works well
    with either hand, but the lever sticks out and is the first thing to
    hit the ground when droped. I had a shorter lever that didn't but I
    didn't like the reach of the lever so I put this one back on. (since I
    have a V brake I can switch levers)

    I am planning to extend one or both of the handles and put a bumper on
    the end to prevent breaking my lever but for now I an just being extra
    carefull not to drop it.

    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
    |Filename: brake.jpg |
    |Download: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/10510 |
    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    Tellurider

    There's a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tellurider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4972
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44487

  14. While walking around.

    One of the handiest things about a brake is actually when walking or
    standing still, holding the seat. Being able to lock the wheel with
    one hand gives vastly more control when standing on a pavement talking
    to people or waiting to cross etc.

    I now get a little shot of frustration when walking or standing with
    another uni, sans brake - I reach my fingers under the saddle handle
    and meet thin air, as the wheel slides away, forcing some kind of
    effort to be applied just to hold the thing at a stop.

    It's useful for riding down hills too. 🙂

    Sam

    --
    redwelly
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    redwelly's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4518
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44487

  15. ThisGuyIKnow said:

    But in a static mount the pedals stay more or less horizontal, and the
    seat post moves about 45 degrees. To static mount with the brake
    activated the pedals would have to roll 45 degrees forward as the
    seatpost moves to vertical.

    That's right; not preferred over a regular static mount, but probably
    doable.

    For Gizmoduck:
    I know you like to go fast, but on the long and/or steep hills I'm
    thinking of (such as in San Francisco), we're talking rolling up to 60+
    kph in a very short distance! I don't like pedaling fast *and* holding
    the wheel back at the same time. I'm sure more practice can make it
    easier, but I like to keep it below my personal running speed on a long
    downhill. 🙂

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com" -- www.unicycling.com

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/) -- 'USA Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    johnfoss's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/832
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44487

  16. johnfoss said:

    For Gizmoduck:
    I know you like to go fast, but on the long and/or steep hills I'm
    thinking of (such as in San Francisco), we're talking rolling up to 60+
    kph in a very short distance! I don't like pedaling fast *and* holding
    the wheel back at the same time. I'm sure more practice can make it
    easier, but I like to keep it below my personal running speed on a long
    downhill. 🙂

    True, but most downhills down to about 6-8% grades can be successfully
    'rolled' if the road is wide and you can look well enough ahead. Short
    cranks help too 🙂

    I like to think more like a bicyclist when riding a Coker- you would
    not consider falling at all, as there is no way you can run out of it
    if you UPD off a bike.

    --
    GizmoDuck

    o-kO
    'www.adventureunicyclist.com' (http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/) -
    check out my new and improved website
    'Laos Unicycle Tour' (http://www.laosunitour.org)
    'New Zealand Unicycle Federation' (http://www.unicycle.org.nz)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GizmoDuck's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/794
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44487

  17. i have a coker without a brake, but i have used one with a brake before,
    in fact, thats how i learnt to mount: doing kind of a rolling mount and
    slamming the brakes on to lock up the wheel sending the frame and seat
    (with me on top of it!) upwards, to above the wheel. this may only work
    for short, light people like myself, but it helped.

    now i can freemount easily and dont really see how a brake can be
    useful because it locks up too easily and sends you careering down the
    hill (you were trying to gracefully ride down) on your head/rear end.

    Cheers,

    Max

    --
    max_pfeifer

    what do you give to the man who has everything? ...Nothing!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    max_pfeifer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7644
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44487

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.