Braking while turning?

Bill Sornson wrote:
> Bill Baka wrote:
>
>> ... I like going downhill at 60 MPH or more if I can

> On what bike do you do this -- with no cyclometer, IIRC?
>
> Sorry, Bill, gotta call BS...again.
>
> BS, BS

I have a computer on my main mountain bike and have clocked 50.2 MPH on
a hill that was nowhere near as steep as one highway descent I took
without it so I guess I will have to go back and try again.
BTW, I give a flying F**k about your posts or opinions anymore.
Have a crappy day,
Bill Baka

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 16:50:17 GMT, Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:

>Bill Sornson wrote:
>> Bill Baka wrote:
>>
>>> ... I like going downhill at 60 MPH or more if I can

>> On what bike do you do this -- with no cyclometer, IIRC?
>>
>> Sorry, Bill, gotta call BS...again.
>>
>> BS, BS
>>

>I have a computer on my main mountain bike and have clocked 50.2 MPH on
>a hill that was nowhere near as steep as one highway descent I took
>without it so I guess I will have to go back and try again.
>BTW, I give a flying F**k about your posts or opinions anymore.
>Have a crappy day,
>Bill Baka

Yeah! How DARE you challenge Billy's veracity.

And BTW, that 50.2 MPH was with full knobby's running 34 psi and the
rear brake was dragging. When Billy says, "flying F**k," he's not
kidding.

Bill Baka wrote:
> Bill Sornson wrote:
>> Bill Baka wrote:
>>
>>> ... I like going downhill at 60 MPH or more if I can

>> On what bike do you do this -- with no cyclometer, IIRC?
>>
>> Sorry, Bill, gotta call BS...again.
>>
>> BS, BS
>>

> I have a computer on my main mountain bike and have clocked 50.2 MPH
> on a hill that was nowhere near as steep as one highway descent I took
> without it so I guess I will have to go back and try again.
> BTW, I give a flying F**k about your posts or opinions anymore.
> Have a crappy day,
> Bill Baka

More BS, BS

(On a /road/ bike with skinny tires, I've not yet hit 50 mph. Came close on
Montezuma Grade, but it was very windy AND wind-y; also a very cold day.)

I'd like to think I could easily reach 50+ mph on a nice steep hill that's
fairly straight -- but until I do it...

But good to know you do it /routinely/ on your mountain bike, Iron Bill!
You're an inspiration to us all!

LOL

BS, BS

Bill Sornson wrote:
> Bill Baka wrote:
>> Bill Sornson wrote:

>>> On what bike do you do this -- with no cyclometer, IIRC?
>>>
>>> Sorry, Bill, gotta call BS...again.
>>>
>>> BS, BS
>>>

>> I have a computer on my main mountain bike and have clocked 50.2 MPH
>> on a hill that was nowhere near as steep as one highway descent I took
>> without it so I guess I will have to go back and try again.
>> BTW, I give a flying F**k about your posts or opinions anymore.
>> Have a crappy day,
>> Bill Baka

> More BS, BS
>
> (On a /road/ bike with skinny tires, I've not yet hit 50 mph. Came close on
> Montezuma Grade, but it was very windy AND wind-y; also a very cold day.)
>
> I'd like to think I could easily reach 50+ mph on a nice steep hill that's
> fairly straight -- but until I do it...
>
> But good to know you do it /routinely/ on your mountain bike, Iron Bill!
> You're an inspiration to us all!
>
> LOL
>
> BS, BS

It's a steep hill that is a ***** to ride, and I have conceded to
gravity more than once and walked the final few hundred feet. Then it
goes down a bit and up even more to the top at 985 feet. I haven't
measured the incline but it is steep. On that one I can hit 45 sitting
up and not pedaling, which I can't anyway since the MTB top gear is 46/11.
Bill Baka

Bill Baka wrote:
> Bill Sornson wrote:
>> Bill Baka wrote:

>>> I have a computer on my main mountain bike and have clocked 50.2 MPH
>>> on a hill that was nowhere near as steep as one highway descent I
>>> took without it so I guess I will have to go back and try again.
>>> BTW, I give a flying F**k about your posts or opinions anymore.
>>> Have a crappy day,
>>> Bill Baka

>> More BS, BS
>>
>> (On a /road/ bike with skinny tires, I've not yet hit 50 mph. Came
>> close on Montezuma Grade, but it was very windy AND wind-y; also a
>> very cold day.) I'd like to think I could easily reach 50+ mph on a nice
>> steep hill
>> that's fairly straight -- but until I do it...
>>
>> But good to know you do it /routinely/ on your mountain bike, Iron
>> Bill! You're an inspiration to us all!
>>
>> LOL
>>
>> BS, BS

> It's a steep hill that is a ***** to ride, and I have conceded to
> gravity more than once and walked the final few hundred feet. Then it
> goes down a bit and up even more to the top at 985 feet. I haven't
> measured the incline but it is steep. On that one I can hit 45 sitting
> up and not pedaling, which I can't anyway since the MTB top gear is
> 46/11. Bill Baka

So all you had to say was, "I'd like to go downhill at 60 MPH if I could",
rather that your claim that you do. HTH

Bill Sornson wrote:
> Bill Baka wrote:
> > Bill Sornson wrote:

> >> On what bike do you do this -- with no cyclometer, IIRC?
> >>
> >> Sorry, Bill, gotta call BS...again.
> >>
> >> BS, BS
> >>

> > I have a computer on my main mountain bike and have clocked 50.2 MPH
> > on a hill that was nowhere near as steep as one highway descent I took
> > without it so I guess I will have to go back and try again.
> > BTW, I give a flying F**k about your posts or opinions anymore.
> > Have a crappy day,
> > Bill Baka

> More BS, BS
>
> (On a /road/ bike with skinny tires, I've not yet hit 50 mph. Came close on
> Montezuma Grade, but it was very windy AND wind-y; also a very cold day.)
>
> I'd like to think I could easily reach 50+ mph on a nice steep hill that's
> fairly straight -- but until I do it...
>
> But good to know you do it /routinely/ on your mountain bike, Iron Bill!
> You're an inspiration to us all!
>
> LOL
>
> BS, BS

I've heard from a riding buddy that on descents during Ride the Rockies
that he has reached speeds as high as 66 mph. He is crazy enough to do
it.

Check the map book here for this year's course:
http://ridetherockies.com/MapBook06.pdf

Poncha Pass on day 5 looks pretty steep.
I guess its more a matter of how straight the road is so that you'd
keep off of the brakes.

-bdbafh

On 30 Aug 2006 11:39:44 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>Bill Sornson wrote:
>> Bill Baka wrote:

>> > I have a computer on my main mountain bike and have clocked 50.2 MPH
>> > on a hill that was nowhere near as steep as one highway descent I took
>> > without it so I guess I will have to go back and try again.
>> > BTW, I give a flying F**k about your posts or opinions anymore.
>> > Have a crappy day,
>> > Bill Baka

>> More BS, BS
>>
>> (On a /road/ bike with skinny tires, I've not yet hit 50 mph. Came close on
>> Montezuma Grade, but it was very windy AND wind-y; also a very cold day.)
>>
>> I'd like to think I could easily reach 50+ mph on a nice steep hill that's
>> fairly straight -- but until I do it...
>>
>> But good to know you do it /routinely/ on your mountain bike, Iron Bill!
>> You're an inspiration to us all!
>>
>> LOL
>>
>> BS, BS

>I've heard from a riding buddy that on descents during Ride the Rockies
>that he has reached speeds as high as 66 mph. He is crazy enough to do
>it.

Billy Baka don't need no stinkin' Rockies to get to 50 & 60 MPH.

>Check the map book here for this year's course:
>http://ridetherockies.com/MapBook06.pdf
>
>Poncha Pass on day 5 looks pretty steep.
>I guess its more a matter of how straight the road is so that you'd
>keep off of the brakes.
>
>-bdbafh

Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:
> In my case I am very nearsighted and if I have to look up from a total tuck
> every thing goes blurry looking over the top of my glasses.

Get contact lenses. I'm moderatly myopic (about -4 diopter in each eye) and am
always more comfortable descending fast when wearing soft contacts than when
wearing glasses, especially if the road is rough. You need razor sharp distance
vision for this.

--
Bill Bushnell
http://pobox.com/~bushnell/

In article <[email protected]>,
"Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> writes:

>> I have a computer on my main mountain bike and have clocked 50.2 MPH
>> on a hill that was nowhere near as steep as one highway descent I took
>> without it so I guess I will have to go back and try again.
>> BTW, I give a flying F**k about your posts or opinions anymore.
>> Have a crappy day,
>> Bill Baka

> More BS, BS
>
> (On a /road/ bike with skinny tires, I've not yet hit 50 mph. Came close on
> Montezuma Grade, but it was very windy AND wind-y; also a very cold day.)
>
> I'd like to think I could easily reach 50+ mph on a nice steep hill that's
> fairly straight -- but until I do it...
>
> But good to know you do it /routinely/ on your mountain bike, Iron Bill!
> You're an inspiration to us all!

It's all in the "aero tuck".

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tom Kunich writes:
>> Jobst, are you forgetting that it is pretty difficult to get a bike
>> with the handlebars anywhere near high enough these days of small
>> size bikes and threadless forks?

>> When your handlebars were 1" below your seat a person could ride the
>> drops and tilt his head back far enough to look ahead even on steep
>> hills. When the fashion and components started forcing you to have a
>> handlebar 3"-4" below the seat a lot of people cannot tilt their
>> heads back enough from the drops (another 3" drop) to see far enough
>> forward.

> I have no difficulty doing that even when tucked in, chin on thumb at
> stem level, which I do on all top speed descents where braking is not
> required. That's a lot lower than hands in the hooks, braking.
>
> Excuses, excuses, ex... You might think these guys are old and stiff
> the way they sound.

I've seen you before and you can't tell me you've been stiff in years.

[email protected] wrote:

> I've heard from a riding buddy that on descents during Ride the Rockies
> that he has reached speeds as high as 66 mph. He is crazy enough to do
> it.
>
> Check the map book here for this year's course:
> http://ridetherockies.com/MapBook06.pdf
>
> Poncha Pass on day 5 looks pretty steep.

Actually, Poncha is not steep whatsoever. It is straight, but
I doubt nearly steep enough to allow for 50 mph. Maybe with
a huge tailwind and drafting off a semi.

What a great, weird course though. I love the backroad route
from Durango to Pagosa Springs. I don't think there are any
ultra high speed grades in there but I could be wrong. La Magna
Pass (Chama-Alamosa) won't do the trick.

> I guess its more a matter of how straight the road is so that you'd
> keep off of the brakes.

It has to be both straight and steep for 50-60 mph on a bike.
I believe your friend topped 60 on Ride the Rockies, but not
on this particular course.

Robert

Bill Sornson wrote:

> More BS, BS
>
> (On a /road/ bike with skinny tires, I've not yet hit 50 mph. Came close on
> Montezuma Grade, but it was very windy AND wind-y; also a very cold day.)
>
> I'd like to think I could easily reach 50+ mph on a nice steep hill that's
> fairly straight -- but until I do it...
>
> But good to know you do it /routinely/ on your mountain bike, Iron Bill!
> You're an inspiration to us all!
>
> LOL

The fastest I've ever rolled on a bike was on my trail
bike. 60 mph from the top of Rist Canyon to Stove Prairie,
west of Fort Collins, CO. Three of us together, a bit of
drafting going on.

I've topped 50 several times on my road bike but never
got close to 60. Come to think of it I descended Rist Canyon
to S.P. on my road bike once or twice and didn't approach 60.

Just an observation. Now back to our regularly scheduled
Bill-bashing.

Robert

Bill Sornson wrote:
> Bill Baka wrote:
>> Bill Sornson wrote:

>>> More BS, BS
>>>
>>> (On a /road/ bike with skinny tires, I've not yet hit 50 mph. Came
>>> close on Montezuma Grade, but it was very windy AND wind-y; also a
>>> very cold day.) I'd like to think I could easily reach 50+ mph on a nice
>>> steep hill
>>> that's fairly straight -- but until I do it...
>>>
>>> But good to know you do it /routinely/ on your mountain bike, Iron
>>> Bill! You're an inspiration to us all!
>>>
>>> LOL
>>>
>>> BS, BS

>> It's a steep hill that is a ***** to ride, and I have conceded to
>> gravity more than once and walked the final few hundred feet. Then it
>> goes down a bit and up even more to the top at 985 feet. I haven't
>> measured the incline but it is steep. On that one I can hit 45 sitting
>> up and not pedaling, which I can't anyway since the MTB top gear is
>> 46/11. Bill Baka

> So all you had to say was, "I'd like to go downhill at 60 MPH if I could",
> rather that your claim that you do. HTH

There are a few hills that are steep enough for 60 MPH but to get to
them I have to crawl my way up hill while sharing a major highway with
semis and SUVs. The semis are not a problem since they are crawling up
about as fast as I am, but the SUVs all have it floored and are doing
about 45 up that grade. It's a serious danger, more than even I like to
play with since the road was literally blasted out of rock and there is
not even a hint of a bike safety area. The rock cliff actually meets the
white line for about 300 feet on that steep right hander on the way up.
On the way down I am going fast enough to take the lane just like a car
and nobody has honked yet on the few times I made it up there.
60 MPH or more is definitely a possibility on that road.
California, highway 20 between The Englebright dam turnoff and the Rough
and Ready turnoff. Get a topo map and look it up, I am not giving you
the pointer.
Maybe later in the year when it cools off a bit. BTW, my mountain bike
now has slicks on it at 55 PSI since the knobbies never really help that
much anyway.
Bill Baka

Bill Bushnell wrote:
> Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:
>> In my case I am very nearsighted and if I have to look up from a total tuck
>> every thing goes blurry looking over the top of my glasses.

> Get contact lenses. I'm moderatly myopic (about -4 diopter in each eye) and am
> always more comfortable descending fast when wearing soft contacts than when
> wearing glasses, especially if the road is rough. You need razor sharp distance
> vision for this.

I wish I could but I have tried them and my eyes don't like them.
Bill Baka

[email protected] wrote:
> Bill Sornson wrote:
>
>> More BS, BS
>>
>> (On a /road/ bike with skinny tires, I've not yet hit 50 mph. Came close on
>> Montezuma Grade, but it was very windy AND wind-y; also a very cold day.)
>>
>> I'd like to think I could easily reach 50+ mph on a nice steep hill that's
>> fairly straight -- but until I do it...
>>
>> But good to know you do it /routinely/ on your mountain bike, Iron Bill!
>> You're an inspiration to us all!
>>
>> LOL

> The fastest I've ever rolled on a bike was on my trail
> bike. 60 mph from the top of Rist Canyon to Stove Prairie,
> west of Fort Collins, CO. Three of us together, a bit of
> drafting going on.
>
> I've topped 50 several times on my road bike but never
> got close to 60. Come to think of it I descended Rist Canyon
> to S.P. on my road bike once or twice and didn't approach 60.
>
> Just an observation. Now back to our regularly scheduled
> Bill-bashing.
>
> Robert

There is only one section that I ride anywhere near routinely that I can
hit 50 on but it does have some corners that I probably should not try
to go that fast on. The boat ramp road to Englebright reservoir is over
20% and you could probably hit over 65 on that one but there are too
many twists and turns to even think about it, and the bottom goes
straight into the water. It is a little over a quarter mile and so steep
that I have to walk the bike back up. I can't ride it even with a super
granny 20/28 since even standing as far over the bars as possible one
good hard pedal will flip me over. I did see both a Semi tractor unit
and one of those huge pickups with 4 wheels in the back so they are
probably there to haul up the heavier boats.
Like I said "I could hit 60+, then a tree", so I am not trying.
I did notice going down my rims were scorching hot at the bottom.
Bill Baka

Bill Baka wrote:
> Bill Sornson wrote:
>> Bill Baka wrote:

>>> It's a steep hill that is a ***** to ride, and I have conceded to
>>> gravity more than once and walked the final few hundred feet. Then
>>> it goes down a bit and up even more to the top at 985 feet. I
>>> haven't measured the incline but it is steep. On that one I can hit
>>> 45 sitting up and not pedaling, which I can't anyway since the MTB
>>> top gear is 46/11. Bill Baka

>> So all you had to say was, "I'd like to go downhill at 60 MPH if I
>> could", rather that your claim that you do. HTH
>>

> There are a few hills that are steep enough for 60 MPH but to get to
> them I have to crawl my way up hill while sharing a major highway with
> semis and SUVs. The semis are not a problem since they are crawling up
> about as fast as I am, but the SUVs all have it floored and are doing
> about 45 up that grade. It's a serious danger, more than even I like
> to play with since the road was literally blasted out of rock and
> there is not even a hint of a bike safety area. The rock cliff
> actually meets the white line for about 300 feet on that steep right
> hander on the way up. On the way down I am going fast enough to take
> the lane just like a car and nobody has honked yet on the few times I
> made it up there. 60 MPH or more is definitely a possibility on that
> road. California, highway 20 between The Englebright dam turnoff and the
> Rough and Ready turnoff. Get a topo map and look it up, I am not
> giving you the pointer.
> Maybe later in the year when it cools off a bit. BTW, my mountain bike
> now has slicks on it at 55 PSI since the knobbies never really help
> that much anyway.
> Bill Baka

The point, Bill, is that you claimed to do it regularly ("I like going 60
MPH or more"). I bet you've never been over 40 (although I know you're
convinced otherwise).

Saying a hill should provide conditions that would produce certain speeds
and actual practice are two drastically different things. (For example, I
should be able to hit 50 MPH on Torrey Pines grade, but seldom even approach
40 due to ubiquitous coastal headwinds. I get as aero as I can and pedal in
53-12 and then max out -- look down, pfft, 36.7 or something. Maybe during
a Santa Ana... yeah, yeah, THAT's the ticket!)

Bill Sornson wrote:
> Bill Baka wrote:
>> Bill Sornson wrote:

>>> So all you had to say was, "I'd like to go downhill at 60 MPH if I
>>> could", rather that your claim that you do. HTH
>>>

>> There are a few hills that are steep enough for 60 MPH but to get to
>> them I have to crawl my way up hill while sharing a major highway with
>> semis and SUVs. The semis are not a problem since they are crawling up
>> about as fast as I am, but the SUVs all have it floored and are doing
>> about 45 up that grade. It's a serious danger, more than even I like
>> to play with since the road was literally blasted out of rock and
>> there is not even a hint of a bike safety area. The rock cliff
>> actually meets the white line for about 300 feet on that steep right
>> hander on the way up. On the way down I am going fast enough to take
>> the lane just like a car and nobody has honked yet on the few times I
>> made it up there. 60 MPH or more is definitely a possibility on that
>> road. California, highway 20 between The Englebright dam turnoff and the
>> Rough and Ready turnoff. Get a topo map and look it up, I am not
>> giving you the pointer.
>> Maybe later in the year when it cools off a bit. BTW, my mountain bike
>> now has slicks on it at 55 PSI since the knobbies never really help
>> that much anyway.
>> Bill Baka

> The point, Bill, is that you claimed to do it regularly ("I like going 60
> MPH or more"). I bet you've never been over 40 (although I know you're
> convinced otherwise).
>
> Saying a hill should provide conditions that would produce certain speeds
> and actual practice are two drastically different things. (For example, I
> should be able to hit 50 MPH on Torrey Pines grade, but seldom even approach
> 40 due to ubiquitous coastal headwinds. I get as aero as I can and pedal in
> 53-12 and then max out -- look down, pfft, 36.7 or something. Maybe during
> a Santa Ana... yeah, yeah, THAT's the ticket!)

I did not say I do it regularly, only that I would like to try with a
speedometer on the bike. The 50 MPH is about the normal for the descent
I make normally where gravity does all the work for me. That is on a
lightly used road that does have turns but no tight ones. I 'think' I
can hit 60 on the highway because it is a lot steeper and straighter. In
fact I may have hit it last year when I braved the "bike lane = rock
cliff" part of it. It is just too dangerous to ride up there routinely.
I may be crazy but I am not stupid. With the 46/11 I can pedal up to
about 30 on a straight and 35 drafting a big gravel semi but in both
cases the burst of that much energy leaves me,in your words, pfft.
As for wind, it seems to die around here once I get over about 200 feet
over the valley floor, so maybe different mountain terrain.
Bill Baka

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 20:41:53 GMT, Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:

>Bill Sornson wrote:
>> Bill Baka wrote:

>>> There are a few hills that are steep enough for 60 MPH but to get to
>>> them I have to crawl my way up hill while sharing a major highway with
>>> semis and SUVs. The semis are not a problem since they are crawling up
>>> about as fast as I am, but the SUVs all have it floored and are doing
>>> about 45 up that grade. It's a serious danger, more than even I like
>>> to play with since the road was literally blasted out of rock and
>>> there is not even a hint of a bike safety area. The rock cliff
>>> actually meets the white line for about 300 feet on that steep right
>>> hander on the way up. On the way down I am going fast enough to take
>>> the lane just like a car and nobody has honked yet on the few times I
>>> made it up there. 60 MPH or more is definitely a possibility on that
>>> road. California, highway 20 between The Englebright dam turnoff and the
>>> Rough and Ready turnoff. Get a topo map and look it up, I am not
>>> giving you the pointer.
>>> Maybe later in the year when it cools off a bit. BTW, my mountain bike
>>> now has slicks on it at 55 PSI since the knobbies never really help
>>> that much anyway.
>>> Bill Baka

>> The point, Bill, is that you claimed to do it regularly ("I like going 60
>> MPH or more"). I bet you've never been over 40 (although I know you're
>> convinced otherwise).
>>
>> Saying a hill should provide conditions that would produce certain speeds
>> and actual practice are two drastically different things. (For example, I
>> should be able to hit 50 MPH on Torrey Pines grade, but seldom even approach
>> 40 due to ubiquitous coastal headwinds. I get as aero as I can and pedal in
>> 53-12 and then max out -- look down, pfft, 36.7 or something. Maybe during
>> a Santa Ana... yeah, yeah, THAT's the ticket!)
>>

>I did not say I do it regularly, only that I would like to try with a
>speedometer on the bike. The 50 MPH is about the normal for the descent
>I make normally where gravity does all the work for me. That is on a
>lightly used road that does have turns but no tight ones. I 'think' I
>can hit 60 on the highway because it is a lot steeper and straighter. In
>fact I may have hit it last year when I braved the "bike lane = rock
>cliff" part of it. It is just too dangerous to ride up there routinely.
>I may be crazy but I am not stupid. With the 46/11 I can pedal up to
>about 30 on a straight and 35 drafting a big gravel semi but in both
>cases the burst of that much energy leaves me,in your words, pfft.
>As for wind, it seems to die around here once I get over about 200 feet
>over the valley floor, so maybe different mountain terrain.
>Bill Baka

This Doofus probably got a used computer from some junkpile, never
calibrated it and its set in kilometers.

Bill Baka wrote:
> Bill Sornson wrote:
>> Bill Baka wrote:

>>> There are a few hills that are steep enough for 60 MPH but to get to
>>> them I have to crawl my way up hill while sharing a major highway
>>> with semis and SUVs. The semis are not a problem since they are
>>> crawling up about as fast as I am, but the SUVs all have it floored
>>> and are doing about 45 up that grade. It's a serious danger, more
>>> than even I like to play with since the road was literally blasted out
>>> of rock and
>>> there is not even a hint of a bike safety area. The rock cliff
>>> actually meets the white line for about 300 feet on that steep right
>>> hander on the way up. On the way down I am going fast enough to take
>>> the lane just like a car and nobody has honked yet on the few times
>>> I made it up there. 60 MPH or more is definitely a possibility on
>>> that road. California, highway 20 between The Englebright dam
>>> turnoff and the Rough and Ready turnoff. Get a topo map and look it
>>> up, I am not giving you the pointer.
>>> Maybe later in the year when it cools off a bit. BTW, my mountain
>>> bike now has slicks on it at 55 PSI since the knobbies never really
>>> help that much anyway.
>>> Bill Baka

>> The point, Bill, is that you claimed to do it regularly ("I like
>> going 60 MPH or more"). I bet you've never been over 40 (although I
>> know you're convinced otherwise).
>>
>> Saying a hill should provide conditions that would produce certain
>> speeds and actual practice are two drastically different things. (For
>> example, I should be able to hit 50 MPH on Torrey Pines grade,
>> but seldom even approach 40 due to ubiquitous coastal headwinds. I
>> get as aero as I can and pedal in 53-12 and then max out -- look
>> down, pfft, 36.7 or something. Maybe during a Santa Ana... yeah,
>> yeah, THAT's the ticket!)

> I did not say I do it regularly, only that I would like to try with a
> speedometer on the bike. The 50 MPH is about the normal for the
> descent I make normally where gravity does all the work for me. That
> is on a lightly used road that does have turns but no tight ones. I
> 'think' I can hit 60 on the highway because it is a lot steeper and
> straighter. In fact I may have hit it last year when I braved the
> "bike lane = rock cliff" part of it. It is just too dangerous to ride
> up there routinely. I may be crazy but I am not stupid. With the
> 46/11 I can pedal up to about 30 on a straight and 35 drafting a big
> gravel semi but in both cases the burst of that much energy leaves
> me,in your words, pfft. As for wind, it seems to die around here once I
> get over about 200
> feet over the valley floor, so maybe different mountain terrain.
> Bill Baka

You wrote, quote: "I like going downhill at 60 MPH or more". That would be
like me posting, "I like making love to Elizabeth Hurley". While it's true
that I'd like to (sell your soul like to), it's dishonest saying I like it
as if it's ever happened.

Hope that's clear enough... BS

R Brickston wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 20:41:53 GMT, Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I did not say I do it regularly, only that I would like to try with a
>> speedometer on the bike. The 50 MPH is about the normal for the descent
>> I make normally where gravity does all the work for me. That is on a
>> lightly used road that does have turns but no tight ones. I 'think' I
>> can hit 60 on the highway because it is a lot steeper and straighter. In
>> fact I may have hit it last year when I braved the "bike lane = rock
>> cliff" part of it. It is just too dangerous to ride up there routinely.
>> I may be crazy but I am not stupid. With the 46/11 I can pedal up to
>> about 30 on a straight and 35 drafting a big gravel semi but in both
>> cases the burst of that much energy leaves me,in your words, pfft.
>> As for wind, it seems to die around here once I get over about 200 feet
>> over the valley floor, so maybe different mountain terrain.
>> Bill Baka

> This Doofus probably got a used computer from some junkpile, never
> calibrated it and its set in kilometers.

Talking about yourself now, Brick?
You are the definition of 'wasted bandwidth'.
Bill Baka