I have recently purchased a 1990's Merckx bicycle and would like to build it up
with a 48x34 chainset. However, the frame includes a brazeon front derailleur
and I understand that these typically do not permit the derailleur to slide
down far enough to accomodate such small chainrings. Short of cutting off the
brazeon and employing a clamp on front derailleur, does anyone have any
suggestions or know of some adapter? Thanks in advance for your help.
Cycling Equipment · Public discussion
Brazeon FD and Smaller Chainrings?
Thread navigation
Jump through the discussion
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- Cycling Equipment
- Published
- 12 April 2004
- Last activity
- 14 April 2004
- Original author
- David White
- Posts
- 6
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 1,282
- Views / 30 days
- 0
- Topics
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
David White said:
I have recently purchased a 1990's Merckx bicycle and would like to
build it up with a 48x34 chainset. However, the frame includes a brazeon
front derailleur and I understand that these typically do not permit the
derailleur to slide down far enough to accomodate such small chainrings.
Short of cutting off the brazeon and employing a clamp on front
derailleur, does anyone have any suggestions or know of some adapter?Just remove it.
No extreme measures, just file it carefully so as not to
remove any metal from the seat tube. Touch up the paint and
use a clamped changer.--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971 -
Quoted message said:
white
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
have recently purchased a 1990's Merckx bicycle and would like to
build it up with a 48x34 chainset.
However, the frame includes a brazeon front derailleur
and I understand that these typically do not permit the derailleur to slide
down far enough to accomodate such small chainrings.Peter Chisholms wisely asked:
Quoted message said:
Have ya tried it? I have installed a 50/34 and braze-on and it still had room
to lower it further.Good point. If you do the math, you'll see that for every 2 teeth off
the big ring, the derailer only needs to move down 1/?" (8 mm.)However, as I've said before, front derailer braze-ons are the work of
SATAN!Sheldon "Try Before You Buy" Brown
+-----------------------------------------------+
| I'll be appearing as Preposteros in |
| Gilbert & Sullivan's Thespis at M.I.T. |
| April 9-10,15-17 http://web.mit.edu/gsp/www |
| http://sheldonbrown.com/music.html |
+-----------------------------------------------+
Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com -
Sheldon Brown said:
Good point. If you do the math, you'll see that for every 2 teeth off
the big ring, the derailer only needs to move down 1/?" (8 mm.)4mm, not 8mm.
Tom Ace
-
Sheldon Brown said:
However, as I've said before, front derailer braze-ons are the work of
SATAN!I knew some guy who insisted on having a braze-on FD mount on his custom
Reynolds 753 frame. Sure enough, a couple months later the seat tube
failed at that point. (Yes, the builder was 753 certified).--
-John ([email hidden])
-
Frequently a braze on will permit you to get the front derailleur low
enough. Sometimes a little filing at the bottom of the slot works.
OR, get a 50t chainring.David White said:
I have recently purchased a 1990's Merckx bicycle and would like to build it up
with a 48x34 chainset. However, the frame includes a brazeon front derailleur
and I understand that these typically do not permit the derailleur to slide
down far enough to accomodate such small chainrings. Short of cutting off the
brazeon and employing a clamp on front derailleur, does anyone have any
suggestions or know of some adapter? Thanks in advance for your help.
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.