General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Breakfast NOT!!

Started by Michael \Dog3\ Lonergan · · Last activity · 171 posts · 2,388 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
10 May 2006
Last activity
19 May 2006
Original author
Michael \Dog3\ Lonergan
Posts
171
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,388
Views / 30 days
12

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 101–120 of 171
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Gregory Morrow" <[email hidden]>
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    That cornbread sounds good, I think I'll make it this weekend. And
    yeah, it is COLD and windy and rainy, a high of 48 and 50 mph winds
    tonight and tomorrow...at least it's been a warm spring up 'til now.

    The cornbread was good. I had to use a can of soup. I *thought* I was
    running out of time because Steven was due home at 10pm. I'll never learn.
    He never gets home on time.

    Quoted message said:


    [Being the Jezebel of the Corn Belt that I am, I had to treat myself
    to a long hot beauty bubble bath this evening...]

    I have not taken a bath in years. Steven takes a long soak once a week.
    He's had to do this since his auto accident right after 9/11.

    Quoted message said:


    I am making fried chicken with mashed and cornbread dressing for the
    gang on Sunday night, hopefully it will be the last "cold - weather"
    food I'll have to make for a whiles...

    Hell, what time is dinner. I'll take the train up 😉

    Quoted message said:


    I am also making stock on Saturday, that's another "cold weather"
    thang that will help to warm up the house...

    I did stock a week or so ago. I bought a ton of chickens on sale and
    cooked 'em up. I also made a thicker stew like concoction which I can
    throw in whatever veggies and make noodle soup with.

    Michael

    --
    "The first zucchini I ever saw I killed it with a hoe."
    John Gould, Monstrous Depravity, 1963

  2. OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email hidden]>
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:


    Or just buy a trap yourself.
    It's probably not going to be the last time you have wildlife problems
    so it would be worth the investment.

    I saw your other post. 50 MILES? Lardy... This is the second real nuisance
    we've had with wildlife. An opossum was hanging from a garage rafter for
    weeks and weeks when we first moved into the house. It was meaner than [censored]
    and would hiss at me like a cat when I would go out to go to work in the
    morning. I finally threw suet on the back patio and slammed the door on it
    but I had to sit up most of the night. It never came back.

    Michael

    --
    "The first zucchini I ever saw I killed it with a hoe."
    John Gould, Monstrous Depravity, 1963

  3. "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email hidden]>
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:


    Or just buy a trap yourself.
    It's probably not going to be the last time you have wildlife
    problems so it would be worth the investment.

    I saw your other post. 50 MILES? Lardy... This is the second real
    nuisance we've had with wildlife. An opossum was hanging from a
    garage rafter for weeks and weeks when we first moved into the house.
    It was meaner than [censored] and would hiss at me like a cat when I would
    go out to go to work in the morning.

    You don't play baseball, hey?

    I would have used the sucker for a Pinyata!!

    --
    Peter Lucas
    Brisbane
    Australia

    At this spectacle even the most gentle must feel savage, and the most
    savage must weep.

    Turkish Officer
    400 Plateau
    24May1915

  4. Steve Wertz said:

    My cat brought me a lizard tail one day. Lizard tails are still
    "alive" and moving long after they depart the lizard - that keeps
    the cat occupied while the rest of the lizard gets away.

    It took me a minute to figure out what this thing was that was
    flopping around on the ground. Totally trippy, man.

    -sw

    Man, it is trippy! I once caught a blue-tailed skink in the TN
    mountains and its tail came off - I knew it might happen, but it still
    freaked me out that it was dancing around for minutes afterward. Yuck!
    -L.

  5. LucasP said:

    Old Mother Ashby <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    -L. said:

    Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

    >Ramsey woke me up early this morning. Missy decided to go outside so
    >I went to walk her. Not before I took a couple of eggs outta the
    >fridge to fry up for breakfast. When I walked out the back door there
    >was another beheaded rabbit. GAG... It spoiled my breakfast. I
    >don't know why Bart beheads the rabbits.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    Because he *wuvs* you!

    Is Bart a cat? I has a cat once who brought me a mouse head every day
    - sometimes just the head, sometimes the head and shoulders. Once the
    nose, only. It is a sign of affection, you know - sharing food.

    -L.


    Our Miss P disdains mice as too easy, I think. She specialises in baby
    possums - on one occasion still alive! After she gets them home she
    tends to either behead or disembowel them, which is a bit of a bugger
    to clean up.

    Rumpole is too lazy to hunt. He once dragged home an adult possum as
    big as himself, but it had almost certainly died of natural causes.

    I'm all in favour of cats keeping the vermin down, but I do wish they
    wouldn't bring their work home to show you!

    Unfortunately, they don't just kill vermin.

    They are notorious for killing native wildlife as well.

    This will most likely put us at odds, but I'm all in favour of cats
    being registered, spayed, compulsory bell wearing, and a compulsory
    curfew of a night time.

    I have a dog. She is registered, she is spayed, she is not allowed (by
    law) to wander *anywhere* (except 'off leash' areas) unless she is on a
    leash and I have a plastic bag with me to pick up her [censored]. If I leave
    her off her lead, and let her down into the yard (unfenced) to munch on
    a bone in the sun (whilst keeping an eye on her from the front deck), I
    can cop a $150 fine if the council dog catcher comes past. If I'm
    walking her on a lead, and I don't have a plastic bag, it's a $75 fine.

    If she is in a yard with a fence, but the gate is open..... $150 fine.


    We are not at odds at all. I am also all in favour of desexing,
    registration and keeping the animals in at night, for both dogs and
    cats. And I would not dream of letting the dogs out the front
    unsupervised, they both have the road sense of a brick.

    I will not put collars on the cats, though. We tried that some years
    ago, and despite the manufacturer's claim that the collar would break if
    caught, one occasion Tosh came home minus his collar with serious
    abrasions to his neck, and on another occasion he came home still
    wearing the collar and with serious abrasions.

    If I lived in an area with significant native wildlife I wouldn't keep
    cats. Around here all we've got is possums. They may be protected, but
    they're anything but endangered and they are considerable pests. I don't
    lose any sleep over the cat killing a few. The major native birds here
    are lorikeets (fast becomng pests and too difficult for the cat to get
    hold of) and wattle birds. That'll be the day when the cat gets a wattle
    bird, they're almost as ferocious as magpies! The birds they bring home
    - usually almost uninjured - are sparrows and sometimes pigeons.

    Christine

    Christine

    Christine

  6. Michael \'Dog3\' Lonergan said:

    I saw your other post. 50 MILES? Lardy... This is the second real nuisance
    we've had with wildlife. An opossum was hanging from a garage rafter for
    weeks and weeks when we first moved into the house. It was meaner than [censored]
    and would hiss at me like a cat when I would go out to go to work in the
    morning. I finally threw suet on the back patio and slammed the door on it
    but I had to sit up most of the night. It never came back.

    LOL It reminded my of a friend who saw a dead opossum on her back porch and
    waited for her husband to get home from work to dispose of the carcass. When
    he came home it was gone, so she assumed that a dog or something had taken the
    carcass. I told her that it probably walked away. No no. she had poked it with
    a broom handle and made sure it was dead. It never reacted at all. She didn't
    believe me that it had been ... playing opossum.

  7. Dave Smith <[email hidden]>
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:


    LOL It reminded my of a friend who saw a dead opossum on her back
    porch and waited for her husband to get home from work to dispose of
    the carcass. When he came home it was gone, so she assumed that a dog
    or something had taken the carcass. I told her that it probably walked
    away. No no. she had poked it with a broom handle and made sure it was
    dead. It never reacted at all. She didn't believe me that it had been
    ... playing opossum.

    I am telling you. I'd NEVER poke the suckers with a broom handle or any
    other object. This opossum was on the small side but mean as hell. They
    can leap too. It was living on the dry cat food I stored in the garage to
    feed the feral cats out back.

    Michael

    --
    "The first zucchini I ever saw I killed it with a hoe."
    John Gould, Monstrous Depravity, 1963

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,

    LucasP said:

    Did some more checking....... did you know that "Skunk Shot Gel" was
    actually invented by some Aussies??!!

    http://blogcritics.org/archives/2003/12/08/215749.php

    And has been put to good use in the US :-)

    Read NY Times story
    Skunk Shot
    A smelly solution
    Skunk Shot, an odorous gel developed by Victoria University scientists,
    has become police issue in several US cities, including LA and Richland
    County, Colombia. Originally designed as a cat and dog repellent, Skunk
    Shot is being used by US police to combat drug use and prostitution in
    abandoned buildings.
    (24 July 2004)

    That's a cool idea! <lol>
    --
    Peace!
    Om

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]"
    -- Jack Nicholson

  9. In article <[email hidden]>,

    LucasP said:

    OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Michael \'Dog3\' Lonergan said:

    OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email hidden]> news:Omelet-
    [email hidden]:

    >
    > On line.
    > Where else? <G>
    >
    > It can be googled for from hunting supplies...
    > Even as well packaged as it comes, you know when you get the box...

    I would do anything to keep this raccoon out of my garage but I don't
    want to hurt it. Does the oil repel cats?

    Only if you squirt them with it!

    Why don't you just trap the racoon?

    Quoted message said:

    Or just buy a trap yourself.
    It's probably not going to be the last time you have wildlife problems
    so it would be worth the investment.

    LOL!! Here in Brissy, our possums are supposed to be a protected animal.
    We have to trap, or get someone to trap them, and then release them in
    the near vicinity. A good lurk for "Peter the Possum Man"!! (Not me
    BTW!!) because they *always* come back!!

    Awhile back I trapped a couple on the southside for a friend....... as I
    was driving up the northside to release them (because those northern
    Brisbanites deserve it!!), I passed a ute on the Story Bridge going
    south. He had a couple of possum traps in the back with critters in
    them!!
    The [censored] was dumping his friken animals on my turf!!

    :-)

    <lol>

    Karma at play no? ;-D

    I always released trapped pests at the local lake.
    Plenty for them to eat and drink there.
    --
    Peace!
    Om

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]"
    -- Jack Nicholson

  10. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Michael \'Dog3\' Lonergan said:

    OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email hidden]>
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Michael \'Dog3\' Lonergan said:

    > Hee!
    > No, her "crate" is her doghouse on the front covered porch. It has
    > a cage door and I'll just close that to discipline her.
    >
    > I never hit my dog......

    Interesting. I have always been told to not use the crate as a
    punishment tool. Does it work?

    Somewhat. It works at least for a few hours.
    Jewely HATES to be locked up. She's a very active dog.
    I usually restrict it to an hour or less.

    Border collies are a handful. One of the neighbors has a pure bred and it
    is wild as a March hare 😉 He's always on his leash and the owner's and
    children really take care of him.

    They are a handful indeed. Very active and they need a fenced yard.
    IMHO chaining a BC is just wrong...

    She is hyper but very smart! She will not leave the yard at all if the
    gate gets left open. It's happened a couple of times accidently and she
    stays put. Good girl! :-)

    I have a very large fenced yard but I do run that hotwire around the
    border of the fence as she was damaging it. I give her plenty of toys to
    chew on but it does not always correct the problem with her chewing on
    the landscaping.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:


    Yeah, I smack the table or floor too.
    I also use water pistols on the cats!

    Gets them from a distance. <G>

    Neither of my cats are afraid of the water pistol technique. One time Hoot
    opened her mouth and took a drink.

    <snicker> Sounds like my Cocaktoo. She LOVES to be sprayed/squirted and
    it's part of her regular care.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:


    Cool!
    Ever tried water pistols?

    Not on any of the dogs we've had. The Scotties were perfect gentlemen.
    Missy was way hard to control and I had to take her to ground twice for
    challenging me. After the 2nd time she knew who was the Alpha [censored] in the
    house and has behaved well since then. The chow personality comes out now
    and then but usually I give her the "look" and it cools her heels. She's
    never been exposed to children except for company and I isolate her if we
    have guests with kids. I just don't trust her to not freak out and nip one
    of them.

    I use the "grab the throat and growl" technique on the two lab/chows.
    They _never_ challenge me and always submit. ;-)

    I do NOT allow them around kids tho'. One of them bit my housekeepers
    little boy once. :-( Now I kennel them whenever there are going to be
    "strangers" in the yard. They are kept out back and there is a gate
    between the front and back yards.

    I had the back gate open once and both decided it'd be fun to rush the
    gate and bounce into the front yard where they were not allowed.

    Both of them promptly hit the fence border and ran smack into the
    electric wire! <eg>

    They never, ever violated the open gate again!

    Quoted message said:


    Michael


    --
    Peace!
    Om

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]"
    -- Jack Nicholson

  11. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Michael \'Dog3\' Lonergan said:

    OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email hidden]>
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:


    Or just buy a trap yourself.
    It's probably not going to be the last time you have wildlife problems
    so it would be worth the investment.

    I saw your other post. 50 MILES? Lardy... This is the second real nuisance
    we've had with wildlife. An opossum was hanging from a garage rafter for
    weeks and weeks when we first moved into the house. It was meaner than [censored]
    and would hiss at me like a cat when I would go out to go to work in the
    morning. I finally threw suet on the back patio and slammed the door on it
    but I had to sit up most of the night. It never came back.

    Michael

    50 miles is what I was told by the local Wildlife rescue people.
    Racoons are very smart and are territorial. They can and will travel a
    long ways.

    Possums don't have to be taken that far. I take them to the local river
    about 5 miles away after nocking an ear for ID.

    I've never had one return.
    --
    Peace!
    Om

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]"
    -- Jack Nicholson

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Dave Smith said:
    Chuck Kopsho said:

    Eeeewwww, you ate road kill?

    I knew a cop who used to pick up all sorts of fresh road
    kill, take it home and eat it. Any time there was a report
    about a dead deer he would be the first one there. Nothing
    wrong with fresh road kill.

    The word "fresh" being the key. ;-)
    With one exception, I've only eaten "roadkill" I hit myself so it was
    dressed out within an hour or so. The exception was a warm, limp,
    freshly killed deer I picked up on my way home from work. It can't have
    been there more than 1/2 hour I'd say. Rigor sets in pretty quickly IME.
    --
    Peace!
    Om

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]"
    -- Jack Nicholson

  13. Old Mother Ashby said:

    We are not at odds at all. I am also all in favour of desexing,
    registration and keeping the animals in at night, for both dogs and
    cats. And I would not dream of letting the dogs out the front
    unsupervised, they both have the road sense of a brick.

    As long as animals are illed for lack of homes in the US, I think all
    animals should be neutered - breeding stock as well. Approx 25% of the
    animals we received at the HS in Indy were purbred.

    Quoted message said:


    I will not put collars on the cats, though. We tried that some years
    ago, and despite the manufacturer's claim that the collar would break if
    caught, one occasion Tosh came home minus his collar with serious
    abrasions to his neck, and on another occasion he came home still
    wearing the collar and with serious abrasions.

    Microchips are the way to go. I worked as a vet tech at a high-volume
    feline specialty clinic. We had a kitten come in with a serious
    degloving injury to her chin - I won't share the gorey details, but she
    had tried to get loose from her collar which was stuck in a fence and
    damn-near pulled her head off. It was a "break-away" collar - which
    didn't perform. We were able to repair her injurty but she looked as
    if her head had been reattached at the jawline.

    Quoted message said:


    If I lived in an area with significant native wildlife I wouldn't keep
    cats. Around here all we've got is possums. They may be protected, but
    they're anything but endangered and they are considerable pests. I don't
    lose any sleep over the cat killing a few. The major native birds here
    are lorikeets (fast becomng pests and too difficult for the cat to get
    hold of) and wattle birds. That'll be the day when the cat gets a wattle
    bird, they're almost as ferocious as magpies! The birds they bring home
    - usually almost uninjured - are sparrows and sometimes pigeons.

    Not only that, but disease is rampant here in the US. FeLV, FIV and
    FIP are all serious diseases, and no vaccinations are 100% effective.
    Nothing sadder than a cat dying of FeLV or FIP.

    -L.

  14. OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    .
    Racoons are very smart and are territorial. They can and will travel a
    long ways.

    Possums don't have to be taken that far. I take them to the local river
    about 5 miles away after nocking an ear for ID.

    I've never had one return.

    How do you manage that? So you catch them in a cage, take them to the river and
    then let them out 10 minutes later?

  15. LucasP said:

    LucasP <[email hidden]> wrote in news:Xns97C17CC70ED7E9999999@
    203.50.5.233:

    Quoted message said:

    OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email hidden]> wrote in news:Omelet-
    [email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    LucasP <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > > A spray bottle of skunk oil works pretty good too. <eg>
    > > I've used it on the neighbors dogs to keep them at least off the
    > > fenceline.
    >
    >
    > Hmmmmmmm, and where does one buy skunk oil....... or do you milk


    your

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > own?
    >
    > --
    > Peter Lucas

    On line.
    Where else? <G>

    Did some more checking....... did you know that "Skunk Shot Gel" was
    actually invented by some Aussies??!!

    http://blogcritics.org/archives/2003/12/08/215749.php

    And has been put to good use in the US :-)

    Read NY Times story
    Skunk Shot
    A smelly solution
    Skunk Shot, an odorous gel developed by Victoria University scientists,
    has become police issue in several US cities, including LA and Richland
    County, Colombia. Originally designed as a cat and dog repellent, Skunk
    Shot is being used by US police to combat drug use and prostitution in
    abandoned buildings.
    (24 July 2004)

    Sounds like a great thing for use by labor activists.
    Odor is a great weapon.

    Quoted message said:


    --
    Peter Lucas

    --Bryan

  16. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Dave Smith said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    .
    Racoons are very smart and are territorial. They can and will travel a
    long ways.

    Possums don't have to be taken that far. I take them to the local river
    about 5 miles away after nocking an ear for ID.

    I've never had one return.

    How do you manage that? So you catch them in a cage, take them to the river
    and
    then let them out 10 minutes later?

    Trap. (Havahart box trap, canned cat food bait)

    Don pair of welders gloves.

    Remove from trap, notch ear with a sharp pair of nail scissors.

    Drop into carry cage.

    Take to river, open cage door and wait for them to leave. Does not take
    long.

    Possums are not that dangerous to handle. I'd never try to notch a
    racoon.

    After the first half dozen or so possums, I quit ear notching.
    I just did it originally to make sure that they were not returning...
    --
    Peace!
    Om

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]"
    -- Jack Nicholson

  17. You can also feed possums cornmeal for awhile (to clear them out), then
    eat 'em...

  18. In article <[email hidden]>,

    fred said:

    You can also feed possums cornmeal for awhile (to clear them out), then
    eat 'em...

    No, that's snails.

    You feed possums yams. ;-)
    --
    Peace!
    Om

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]"
    -- Jack Nicholson

  19. OmManiPadmeOmelet said:


    Quoted message said:


    How do you manage that? So you catch them in a cage, take them to the river
    and
    then let them out 10 minutes later?

    Trap. (Havahart box trap, canned cat food bait)

    Don pair of welders gloves.

    Remove from trap, notch ear with a sharp pair of nail scissors.

    Drop into carry cage.

    Take to river, open cage door and wait for them to leave. Does not take
    long.

    Take to river, drop in river, wait ten minutes, retrieve cage, release carcass.
    They never return.

    Quoted message said:

    Possums are not that dangerous to handle. I'd never try to notch a
    racoon.

    The hiss and carry one but it's mostly show.

    Coons OTH.... when we were kids we chased one up a pine tree and went up after
    it. I am lucky that my friend climbed faster than I did. We (he) discovered the
    racoons empty their bladders on humans trying to catch them up a tree.

  20. OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Michael \'Dog3\' Lonergan said:

    OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email hidden]>
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > > Hee!
    > > No, her "crate" is her doghouse on the front covered porch. It


    has

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > > a cage door and I'll just close that to discipline her.
    > >
    > > I never hit my dog......
    >
    > Interesting. I have always been told to not use the crate as a
    > punishment tool. Does it work?

    Somewhat. It works at least for a few hours.
    Jewely HATES to be locked up. She's a very active dog.
    I usually restrict it to an hour or less.

    Border collies are a handful. One of the neighbors has a pure bred


    and it

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    is wild as a March hare 😉 He's always on his leash and the


    owner's and

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    children really take care of him.

    They are a handful indeed. Very active and they need a fenced yard.
    IMHO chaining a BC is just wrong...

    She is hyper but very smart! She will not leave the yard at all if


    the

    Quoted message said:

    gate gets left open. It's happened a couple of times accidently and


    she

    Quoted message said:

    stays put. Good girl! :-)

    I have a very large fenced yard but I do run that hotwire around the
    border of the fence as she was damaging it. I give her plenty of toys


    to

    Quoted message said:

    chew on but it does not always correct the problem with her chewing


    on

    Quoted message said:

    the landscaping.


    snipped.....

    Quoted message said:


    I had the back gate open once and both decided it'd be fun to rush


    the

    Quoted message said:

    gate and bounce into the front yard where they were not allowed.

    Both of them promptly hit the fence border and ran smack into the
    electric wire! <eg>

    They never, ever violated the open gate again!

    Quoted message said:


    Michael


    I agree that Border Collies should not be tied. We have a year old BC
    from the Humane Society (who received her from some apartment owners)
    and we live on a farm, 2 miles from any traffic. Mollie the Collie is
    happiest running around and just this week she figured out we do not
    want the wild pigs on our farm, and that is now her *serious* job. She
    catches the scent, then runs around out side, then flies in through
    the cat door to tell us about it, and then SO gets his gun and they
    are off. Shot one this week- pig that is, while 10 others (oh 6 were
    practically piglets) ran away.

    I do not think there is a more affectionate dog than a Border Collie
    that is happy.

    BTW I am so glad that we do not have wild rabbits in Hawaii cuz our
    super alpha cat Sylvester the Molester would be doing evil things. In
    one 24 hour period, Sylvester caught 4 rats. eeeeeeewwwwwwwww

    aloha,
    Thunder
    smithfarms.com
    Farmers of pure Kona Coffee

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.