General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

breakfast Tue. and Wed.

Started by Kate Connally · · Last activity · 19 posts · 636 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
17 November 2005
Last activity
22 November 2005
Original author
Kate Connally
Posts
19
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
636
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–19 of 19
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi all,
    I took vacation days on Tue. and Wed. to be home while my
    new furnace was being installed. (When I tried to turn it
    on about a month ago nothing happened. I knew it was due to
    die as it was over 40 years old. BTW, I live in Pittsburgh,
    PA so it gets very cold here in the winter. Luckily we didn't
    have any below-freezing weather, just a few nights where it
    just barely hit the freezing mark, so I didn't have to worry
    about my pipes freezing. And luckily the temps alternated
    between cold spells with highs in the 40s or 50s and a couple
    of warm spells. The temp on Tue. actually went up to 70.)

    So while I was home for breakfast I decided to make a recipe
    I have using Bulgarian feta. (I only buy the Bulgarian feta
    as it's the absolute best. Beats Greek feta by a mile.) Here's
    the recipe:

    BULGARIAN SHOPPE-STYLE CHEESE

    500g brined sheep's cheese
    40g butter
    1-2 tomatoes
    1-2 peppers
    black pepper
    paprika
    5 eggs

    Cut the cheese into 5 equal slices and place into buttered earthenware
    bowls. Top with tomato slices, pepper rings, and some butter. Bake in
    a hot oven some 5-6 minutes. Break an egg a top of each bowl and add
    the remaining butter with pepper and paprika. Bake until a crust is
    formed. Serve hot, garnished with slices of tomato, parsley, and a
    chilli, as desired.

    I made individual portions using about 1/4 lb. cheese per
    dish. I put the cheese in small pyrex baking dishes and
    topped the cheese in each with 2 thick slices tomato and 2
    thick rings of green pepper (which I cut up into smaller
    strips for more even distribution) and a couple of pats of
    butter. I baked it longer than called for in the recipe.
    I took "hot oven" to mean 425F. So I baked for about 10 minutes
    and then broke 2 eggs into the one I was going to eat right
    away and left the other out to cool and then refrig. for the
    next day. I topped the first one with freshly ground pepper
    and Hungarian paprika and another pat of butter and put it back
    in at 450F this time for another 10 minutes. I really think
    it needed the extra time. (Maybe they meant an even hotter
    temp when they said "hot oven".) Then although it didn't say
    to do this I lightly toasted 2 thick slices of Mancini's
    twist (a local bakery's Italian bread - the *BEST* in the
    world!!!!) and scoop half of the casserole onto each slice.
    Boy was this good! I can't wait to make it again - maybe this
    weekend. I have more feta in the freezer. (I have to buy it
    in 2-lb. blocks so I slice up the blocks into 1/2 lb. chunks
    and freeze what I'm not going to use right away.)

    Kate

  2. "Kate Connally" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    So while I was home for breakfast I decided to make a recipe
    I have using Bulgarian feta. (I only buy the Bulgarian feta
    as it's the absolute best. Beats Greek feta by a mile.)

    What's the difference between Bulgarian and Greek feta? I prefer French
    feta to Greek, but have not tried Bulgarian.

    Quoted message said:


    BULGARIAN SHOPPE-STYLE CHEESE

    This recipe sounds absolutely delicious. I will try it sometime soon.

    Quoted message said:

    I have more feta in the freezer. (I have to buy it
    in 2-lb. blocks so I slice up the blocks into 1/2 lb. chunks
    and freeze what I'm not going to use right away.)

    Great idea! Will try that too, thanks.
    Chris

  3. "Chris" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:A_6ff.22575$5R4.11101@trnddc06...

    Quoted message said:


    "Kate Connally" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    So while I was home for breakfast I decided to make a recipe
    I have using Bulgarian feta. (I only buy the Bulgarian feta
    as it's the absolute best. Beats Greek feta by a mile.)

    What's the difference between Bulgarian and Greek feta? I prefer French
    feta to Greek, but have not tried Bulgarian.

    I have found Bulgarian feta at a Halal market -- When I first tasted it, I
    was nuts about it and still am and would buy Bulgarian any time. Then after
    watching the same knife being used to cut other products as the cheese I had
    to back away. That is the only place I've seen it.

    At BJ's in Pennsylvania I bought some Kosher Feta, "Naturally Good Kosher"
    Mediterranean Style Feta Cheese, AllNatural, No preservatives, No Annimal
    Rennet 100% vegetarian. Keep refrigerated.

    I'm having a piece quite soon, hope it's close to Bulgarian.
    Roasting eggplant, mushrooms, red and yellow bell peppers, green onions,
    shallots, and other things, I can't recall at the moment in lots of olive
    oil.
    Dee Dee
    Dee Dee

  4. "Dee Randall" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    At BJ's in Pennsylvania I bought some Kosher Feta, "Naturally Good Kosher"
    Mediterranean Style Feta Cheese, AllNatural, No preservatives, No Annimal
    Rennet 100% vegetarian. Keep refrigerated.

    How do they make it w/out rennet, I wonder?

    Quoted message said:


    I'm having a piece quite soon, hope it's close to Bulgarian.
    Roasting eggplant, mushrooms, red and yellow bell peppers, green onions,
    shallots, and other things, I can't recall at the moment in lots of olive
    oil.

    Hey, I made that this morning. Zdded zucchini and lots of herbs. Garlic.
    Then I dumped in a can of tomatoes, simmered it, and called it ratatouille.
    I think the leftovers will be yummy tormorrow reheated and wrapped in a warm
    tortilla w/ some feta.

    Chris

    Quoted message said:
  5. Chris said:

    "Dee Randall" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    At BJ's in Pennsylvania I bought some Kosher Feta, "Naturally Good Kosher"
    Mediterranean Style Feta Cheese, AllNatural, No preservatives, No Annimal
    Rennet 100% vegetarian. Keep refrigerated.

    How do they make it w/out rennet, I wonder?

    They use non-animal rennet. I know of some that are thistle
    derivatives. Probably other plant sources too.

    --
    Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot) com

  6. "Chris" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:JX8ff.1348$Mw1.666@trnddc01...

    Quoted message said:


    "Dee Randall" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    At BJ's in Pennsylvania I bought some Kosher Feta, "Naturally Good
    Kosher" Mediterranean Style Feta Cheese, AllNatural, No preservatives, No
    Annimal Rennet 100% vegetarian. Keep refrigerated.

    How do they make it w/out rennet, I wonder?

    Quoted message said:


    I'm having a piece quite soon, hope it's close to Bulgarian.
    Roasting eggplant, mushrooms, red and yellow bell peppers, green onions,
    shallots, and other things, I can't recall at the moment in lots of olive
    oil.

    Hey, I made that this morning. Zdded zucchini and lots of herbs. Garlic.
    Then I dumped in a can of tomatoes, simmered it, and called it
    ratatouille. I think the leftovers will be yummy tormorrow reheated and
    wrapped in a warm tortilla w/ some feta.

    Chris

    Chris, we always say when we make a meal, "Well, I wonder if anyone else in
    this whole wide world is eating the same thing today that we are." So, we
    were close. Oh, I forgot -- I did add a bunch of fresh basil (hydroponic)
    and we could not even taste it. But it was good. I was thinking of making
    ratatouille instead. In ratatouille, I always like corn; in this case, I
    would've used some frozen corn on-hand.
    The feta was not as vinegary-salty as regular store-bought (President
    brand). Here is the package. Perhaps it is vegetable enzymes, instead of
    rennet -- I don't know. Here is how the label reads:
    http://tinypic.com/fuomr6.jpg
    Dee Dee

  7. Dee said:

    Chris, we always say when we make a meal, "Well, I wonder if anyone else
    in this whole wide world is eating the same thing today that we are."

    HA! Funny thing, I was just listening to a CD in my car, and it struck me
    that I just might be the only person in the world listening to that
    particular CD at that time.

    (It was "Zoon" by Nefilim...pretty obscure stuff, so I *might* have been the
    only person listening to it.)

    Bob

  8. "Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dee said:

    Chris, we always say when we make a meal, "Well, I wonder if anyone else
    in this whole wide world is eating the same thing today that we are."

    HA! Funny thing, I was just listening to a CD in my car, and it struck me
    that I just might be the only person in the world listening to that
    particular CD at that time.

    (It was "Zoon" by Nefilim...pretty obscure stuff, so I *might* have been
    the
    only person listening to it.)

    Bob


    Whoooaa! I see that it is #3 on this page, whatever #3 means!
    http://dying.art.pl/search.php?what=band&keyword=The+Nefilim

    Oft times I wonder when I listen to Leonard Cohen if there is anyone ever
    that likes his music. I have never met anyone that did - or would admit
    it -- tee hee.
    Dee Dee

  9. Dee said:

    Oft times I wonder when I listen to Leonard Cohen if there is anyone ever
    that likes his music. I have never met anyone that did - or would admit
    it -- tee hee.

    Lots of Goths like Leonard Cohen, and the lead singer of one of the most
    influential Goth bands (Andrew Eldritch, lead singer of Sisters of Mercy) is
    a HUGE Cohen fan.

    Dee, come to the dark side... the darkness is warm and welcoming... :-)

    Bob

  10. "Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dee said:

    Oft times I wonder when I listen to Leonard Cohen if there is anyone ever
    that likes his music. I have never met anyone that did - or would admit
    it -- tee hee.

    Lots of Goths like Leonard Cohen, and the lead singer of one of the most
    influential Goth bands (Andrew Eldritch, lead singer of Sisters of Mercy)
    is
    a HUGE Cohen fan.

    Dee, come to the dark side... the darkness is warm and welcoming... :-)

    Bob


    Certainly, this is news to me -- I would have never made any connection
    when I wrote Leonard Cohen, but obviously there was some there. But ---
    STOP! You're scaring me!!! :-}
    Dee Dee

  11. Dee Randall said:


    "Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dee said:

    Chris, we always say when we make a meal, "Well, I wonder if anyone else
    in this whole wide world is eating the same thing today that we are."

    HA! Funny thing, I was just listening to a CD in my car, and it struck me
    that I just might be the only person in the world listening to that
    particular CD at that time.

    (It was "Zoon" by Nefilim...pretty obscure stuff, so I *might* have been
    the
    only person listening to it.)

    Bob


    Whoooaa! I see that it is #3 on this page, whatever #3 means!
    http://dying.art.pl/search.php?what=band&keyword=The+Nefilim

    Oft times I wonder when I listen to Leonard Cohen if there is anyone ever
    that likes his music. I have never met anyone that did - or would admit
    it -- tee hee.
    Dee Dee

    I love Leonard Cohen. I discovered him back in the late
    60's. His stuff is very dark and weird. If you like Cohen
    you would probably like Suzanne Vega, who I understand is
    influenced by Cohen. The first time I heard her music it
    reminded me strongly of Cohen. (Could her name just be
    ironical or did her parents name her after the Leonard
    Cohen song?)

    Kate

  12. Chris said:


    "Kate Connally" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    So while I was home for breakfast I decided to make a recipe
    I have using Bulgarian feta. (I only buy the Bulgarian feta
    as it's the absolute best. Beats Greek feta by a mile.)

    What's the difference between Bulgarian and Greek feta?

    Well, Bulgarian feta is made from sheep's milk. It seems
    most Greek feta I have come across is made from cow's milk.
    The Bulgarian stuff just has a much better flavor and tends
    not to be as salty as the Greek stuff I've had. I've never
    had French feta. Didn't even know they made it.

    Kate

  13. "Kate Connally" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dee Randall said:


    "Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Dee wrote:

    > Chris, we always say when we make a meal, "Well, I wonder if anyone
    > else
    > in this whole wide world is eating the same thing today that we are."

    HA! Funny thing, I was just listening to a CD in my car, and it struck
    me
    that I just might be the only person in the world listening to that
    particular CD at that time.

    (It was "Zoon" by Nefilim...pretty obscure stuff, so I *might* have
    been
    the
    only person listening to it.)

    Bob


    Whoooaa! I see that it is #3 on this page, whatever #3 means!
    http://dying.art.pl/search.php?what=band&keyword=The+Nefilim

    Oft times I wonder when I listen to Leonard Cohen if there is anyone ever
    that likes his music. I have never met anyone that did - or would admit
    it -- tee hee.
    Dee Dee

    I love Leonard Cohen. I discovered him back in the late
    60's. His stuff is very dark and weird. If you like Cohen
    you would probably like Suzanne Vega, who I understand is
    influenced by Cohen. The first time I heard her music it
    reminded me strongly of Cohen. (Could her name just be
    ironical or did her parents name her after the Leonard
    Cohen song?)

    Kate

    Well, I'm thrilled to hear that someone likes his music/poems. I looked up
    Suzanne Vega at your suggestion and when I have time, I'll look into her
    songs/style - I see she was at Carnegie Hall 10-27-05. The back-up singers
    on some of Cohen's arrangements, and I've never really determined which
    ones are which, but they send wonderful chills. I've looked into some of
    their CDs, but they've not appealed to me in an encompassing way. I've seen
    him on Austin City Limits years ago. It's one darned shame that this man
    has to get old - real sex appeal as well (to me). Well, I guess you know
    I'm 70, but I had a picture of him above my treadmill for over a year. He's
    looking at ME! - Tee hee.
    Dee Dee

  14. "Kate Connally" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dee Randall said:


    "Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Dee wrote:

    > Chris, we always say when we make a meal, "Well, I wonder if anyone
    > else
    > in this whole wide world is eating the same thing today that we are."

    HA! Funny thing, I was just listening to a CD in my car, and it struck
    me
    that I just might be the only person in the world listening to that
    particular CD at that time.

    (It was "Zoon" by Nefilim...pretty obscure stuff, so I *might* have
    been
    the
    only person listening to it.)

    Bob


    Whoooaa! I see that it is #3 on this page, whatever #3 means!
    http://dying.art.pl/search.php?what=band&keyword=The+Nefilim

    Oft times I wonder when I listen to Leonard Cohen if there is anyone ever
    that likes his music. I have never met anyone that did - or would admit
    it -- tee hee.
    Dee Dee

    I love Leonard Cohen. I discovered him back in the late
    60's. His stuff is very dark and weird. If you like Cohen
    you would probably like Suzanne Vega, who I understand is
    influenced by Cohen. The first time I heard her music it
    reminded me strongly of Cohen. (Could her name just be
    ironical or did her parents name her after the Leonard
    Cohen song?)

    Kate

    Well, I'm thrilled to hear that someone likes his music/poems. I looked up
    Suzanne Vega at your suggestion and when I have time, I'll look into her
    songs/style - I see she was at Carnegie Hall 10-27-05. The back-up singers
    on some of Cohen's arrangements, and I've never really determined which
    ones are which, but they send wonderful chills. I've looked into some of
    their CDs, but they've not appealed to me in an encompassing way. I've seen
    him on Austin City Limits years ago. It's one darned shame that this man
    has to get old - real sex appeal as well (to me). Well, I guess you know
    I'm 70, but I had a picture of him above my treadmill for over a year. He's
    looking at ME! - Tee hee.
    Dee Dee

  15. "Kate Connally" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dee Randall said:


    "Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Dee wrote:

    > Chris, we always say when we make a meal, "Well, I wonder if anyone
    > else
    > in this whole wide world is eating the same thing today that we are."

    HA! Funny thing, I was just listening to a CD in my car, and it struck
    me
    that I just might be the only person in the world listening to that
    particular CD at that time.

    (It was "Zoon" by Nefilim...pretty obscure stuff, so I *might* have
    been
    the
    only person listening to it.)

    Bob


    Whoooaa! I see that it is #3 on this page, whatever #3 means!
    http://dying.art.pl/search.php?what=band&keyword=The+Nefilim

    Oft times I wonder when I listen to Leonard Cohen if there is anyone ever
    that likes his music. I have never met anyone that did - or would admit
    it -- tee hee.
    Dee Dee

    I love Leonard Cohen. I discovered him back in the late
    60's. His stuff is very dark and weird. If you like Cohen
    you would probably like Suzanne Vega, who I understand is
    influenced by Cohen. The first time I heard her music it
    reminded me strongly of Cohen. (Could her name just be
    ironical or did her parents name her after the Leonard
    Cohen song?)

    Kate

    Well, I'm thrilled to hear that someone likes his music/poems. I looked up
    Suzanne Vega at your suggestion and when I have time, I'll look into her
    songs/style - I see she was at Carnegie Hall 10-27-05. The back-up singers
    on some of Cohen's arrangements, and I've never really determined which
    ones are which, but they send wonderful chills. I've looked into some of
    their CDs, but they've not appealed to me in an encompassing way. I've seen
    him on Austin City Limits years ago. It's one darned shame that this man
    has to get old - real sex appeal as well (to me). Well, I guess you know
    I'm 70, but I had a picture of him above my treadmill for over a year. He's
    looking at ME! - Tee hee.
    Dee Dee

  16. Dear Dee & Kate.........I'm also a biggg Leonard Cohen fan......he sure
    knows how to put misery & despair to music doesn't he?

    "Dee Randall" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dee said:

    Oft times I wonder when I listen to Leonard Cohen if there is anyone


    ever

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    that likes his music. I have never met anyone that did - or would


    admit

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    it -- tee hee.

    Lots of Goths like Leonard Cohen, and the lead singer of one of the most
    influential Goth bands (Andrew Eldritch, lead singer of Sisters of


    Mercy)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    is
    a HUGE Cohen fan.

    Dee, come to the dark side... the darkness is warm and welcoming... :-)

    Bob


    Certainly, this is news to me -- I would have never made any connection
    when I wrote Leonard Cohen, but obviously there was some there. But ---
    STOP! You're scaring me!!! :-}
    Dee Dee


  17. Quoted message said:

    "Dee Randall" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Dee wrote:

    > Oft times I wonder when I listen to Leonard Cohen if there is anyone


    ever

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > that likes his music. I have never met anyone that did - or would


    admit

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > it -- tee hee.

    Lots of Goths like Leonard Cohen, and the lead singer of one of the
    most
    influential Goth bands (Andrew Eldritch, lead singer of Sisters of


    Mercy)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    is
    a HUGE Cohen fan.

    Dee, come to the dark side... the darkness is warm and welcoming... :-)

    Bob


    Certainly, this is news to me -- I would have never made any connection
    when I wrote Leonard Cohen, but obviously there was some there. But ---
    STOP! You're scaring me!!! :-}
    Dee Dee

    "maureeng7eh" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:9Wzff.531107$1i.227583@pd7tw2no...

    Quoted message said:

    Dear Dee & Kate.........I'm also a biggg Leonard Cohen fan......he sure
    knows how to put misery & despair to music doesn't he?

    Yeah, intermingled with a lot of love and sex!
    Whoo Hoo!
    Dee Dee

  18. Dee Randall said:


    "Kate Connally" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dee Randall said:


    "Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > Dee wrote:
    >
    >> Chris, we always say when we make a meal, "Well, I wonder if anyone
    >> else
    >> in this whole wide world is eating the same thing today that we are."
    >
    > HA! Funny thing, I was just listening to a CD in my car, and it struck
    > me
    > that I just might be the only person in the world listening to that
    > particular CD at that time.
    >
    > (It was "Zoon" by Nefilim...pretty obscure stuff, so I *might* have
    > been
    > the
    > only person listening to it.)
    >
    > Bob
    Whoooaa! I see that it is #3 on this page, whatever #3 means!
    http://dying.art.pl/search.php?what=band&keyword=The+Nefilim

    Oft times I wonder when I listen to Leonard Cohen if there is anyone ever
    that likes his music. I have never met anyone that did - or would admit
    it -- tee hee.
    Dee Dee

    I love Leonard Cohen. I discovered him back in the late
    60's. His stuff is very dark and weird. If you like Cohen
    you would probably like Suzanne Vega, who I understand is
    influenced by Cohen. The first time I heard her music it
    reminded me strongly of Cohen. (Could her name just be
    ironical or did her parents name her after the Leonard
    Cohen song?)

    Kate

    Well, I'm thrilled to hear that someone likes his music/poems. I looked up
    Suzanne Vega at your suggestion and when I have time, I'll look into her
    songs/style - I see she was at Carnegie Hall 10-27-05. The back-up singers
    on some of Cohen's arrangements, and I've never really determined which
    ones are which, but they send wonderful chills. I've looked into some of
    their CDs, but they've not appealed to me in an encompassing way. I've seen
    him on Austin City Limits years ago.

    Speaking of his appearance on Austin City Limits - I was quite
    shocked to find out that he was still around/alive and still
    performing/writing music. I bought an album of his back in
    the very late sixties but I hadn't seen him or heard anything
    about him for 30 years then I see him on ACL. I guess I wasn't
    listening to the right radio stations or something and I don't
    recall ever seeing any ads for him appearing in concerts or
    anything during those years. I thought he had just dwindled
    away like Pearls Before Swine did. (What ever happened to them?
    Don't tell me they're still around and I never knew it. ;-))

    Kate

    It's one darned shame that this man

    Quoted message said:

    has to get old - real sex appeal as well (to me). Well, I guess you know
    I'm 70, but I had a picture of him above my treadmill for over a year. He's
    looking at ME! - Tee hee.
    Dee Dee

  19. "Kate Connally" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dee Randall said:


    "Kate Connally" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Dee Randall wrote:
    >
    > "Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote in message
    > news:[email hidden]...
    > > Dee wrote:
    > >
    > >> Chris, we always say when we make a meal, "Well, I wonder if anyone
    > >> else
    > >> in this whole wide world is eating the same thing today that we
    > >> are."
    > >
    > > HA! Funny thing, I was just listening to a CD in my car, and it
    > > struck
    > > me
    > > that I just might be the only person in the world listening to that
    > > particular CD at that time.
    > >
    > > (It was "Zoon" by Nefilim...pretty obscure stuff, so I *might* have
    > > been
    > > the
    > > only person listening to it.)
    > >
    > > Bob
    > Whoooaa! I see that it is #3 on this page, whatever #3 means!
    > http://dying.art.pl/search.php?what=band&keyword=The+Nefilim
    >
    > Oft times I wonder when I listen to Leonard Cohen if there is anyone
    > ever
    > that likes his music. I have never met anyone that did - or would
    > admit
    > it -- tee hee.
    > Dee Dee

    I love Leonard Cohen. I discovered him back in the late
    60's. His stuff is very dark and weird. If you like Cohen
    you would probably like Suzanne Vega, who I understand is
    influenced by Cohen. The first time I heard her music it
    reminded me strongly of Cohen. (Could her name just be
    ironical or did her parents name her after the Leonard
    Cohen song?)

    Kate

    Well, I'm thrilled to hear that someone likes his music/poems. I looked
    up
    Suzanne Vega at your suggestion and when I have time, I'll look into her
    songs/style - I see she was at Carnegie Hall 10-27-05. The back-up
    singers
    on some of Cohen's arrangements, and I've never really determined which
    ones are which, but they send wonderful chills. I've looked into some of
    their CDs, but they've not appealed to me in an encompassing way. I've
    seen
    him on Austin City Limits years ago.

    Speaking of his appearance on Austin City Limits - I was quite
    shocked to find out that he was still around/alive and still
    performing/writing music. I bought an album of his back in
    the very late sixties but I hadn't seen him or heard anything
    about him for 30 years then I see him on ACL. I guess I wasn't
    listening to the right radio stations or something and I don't
    recall ever seeing any ads for him appearing in concerts or
    anything during those years. I thought he had just dwindled
    away like Pearls Before Swine did. (What ever happened to them?
    Don't tell me they're still around and I never knew it. ;-))

    Kate

    It's one darned shame that this man

    Quoted message said:

    has to get old - real sex appeal as well (to me). Well, I guess you know
    I'm 70, but I had a picture of him above my treadmill for over a year.
    He's
    looking at ME! - Tee hee.
    Dee Dee

    My favorite album is one from the 90's "The Future"
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000028W9/103-8671644-9848613?v=glance

    Not too long ago I bought "Essential Leonard Cohen" (2 CD's) which included
    some of his music back to 1967 (Susanne - you mentioned), some each decade,
    up and thru the ones from the album "Ten New Songs" in 2001. The only two
    in the last album that are great is "In my Secret Life" and perhaps "A
    Thousand Kisses Deep."
    His voice is so different (and mature) beginning I think in the 80's. You
    may remember the skater (Canadian?) that skated to his "I'm you man." I
    believe this is the first time I ever heard him.

    One time I was taking some music classes at a rock-type school of music in
    San Francisco in the 70's and a singer came in and sang a few songs. He had
    on a pair of the greatest pair of slacks I've ever seen, a puce (sp?)
    shantung silk. I've always thought later that it was him; but of course,
    this was way before I knew who he was.

    DH and I went to Montreal a few times in the late 90's for a week or so.
    There is a park (maybe it's St. Louis Park) where some have said he lives or
    at least had an apartment there. There were some strange people hanging out
    there - like, you know, a guy with a huge iguana on a leash, etc. We would
    go there on our way to dinner sometimes and often wonder if we would see
    him. Never did.

    Dee Dee

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.