General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Brecons

Started by Andrew Titley · · Last activity · 228 posts · 6,388 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
25 October 2004
Last activity
20 November 2004
Original author
Andrew Titley
Posts
228
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
6,388
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 81–100 of 228
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    Fran said:
    Quoted message said:

    It's rather up to Judith as I see it.

    over and out !


    Coo-ee! Judith!! Judith?? Are we meeting for a walk in the
    Beacons this week?
    --

    Oh b*gger. I was wondering when someone would remind me that I still
    haven't done any planning and it's gone 10pm on Sunday. I'm trying to
    find a hotel for my trip to Belfast in February .... so haven't got
    round to planning my trip to Wales (in 6 days!!)

    Back to your question: Yes. We are. I was just about to look at what
    Paul and Bill have told me about where to go etc. Perhaps it's just
    easier if I chuck all my camping/walking gear in the back of the car
    and drive South next Saturday.

    I think Friday 12th will be too much of a rush for me but I should be
    able to magically appear somewhere in Wales on Saturday.

    may see you around then. A few of us (could be 2 at the current rate!)
    are going to Beacons on Fri night and camping at Brynich Camp site with
    routes planned for Sat and Sun am. (unless weather forecast is bad and
    then I may be forced to YHA it :-( )

    Saturday: park in taf Fechan forest - up to Fan y Big (great name!) -
    Cribyn - Pen y Fan - Corn Du - round crags to Twym Mwyalchod - back to
    CP

    Sunday just across the valley: staring down in Blaen y glyn - up to
    Craig y Fan Ddu - follow escarpment round to heard of valley and then
    round other side, dropping off wreath at the Canadian memorial (feel we
    should do given the weekend) then back down to and along the river and
    then back through the forest hunting for waterfalls. Followed by a big
    lunch somewhere!

    First time I've done either of these routes, so please shout if I'm
    missing anything or dropped any howlers.

    Cheers

    --
    Darren

  2. Judith said:

    .... so haven't got
    round to planning my trip to Wales (in 6 days!!)

    Is it that soon?

    Quoted message said:

    Back to your question: Yes. We are. I was just about to look at what
    Paul and Bill have told me about where to go etc. Perhaps it's just
    easier if I chuck all my camping/walking gear in the back of the car
    and drive South next Saturday.

    Maybe! Don't worry, I'll email you a few suggestions.

    Quoted message said:

    I think Friday 12th will be too much of a rush for me but I should be
    able to magically appear somewhere in Wales on Saturday.

    *PAUL* - Where are these Leonid thingies going to be?!

    In the east, on Friday the 19th. You may quite possibly see a few
    either side of that date though, the 17th is traditionally the peak.

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
    http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

  3. Darren G said:

    may see you around then. A few of us (could be 2 at the current rate!)
    are going to Beacons on Fri night and camping at Brynich Camp site with
    routes planned for Sat and Sun am.

    Maybe.

    Thanks for the routes. I'll look at the map and see whether they
    tally up with my tentative plans.

    I'm hoping to be camped in a good place to see the Leonids towards the
    end of the week ...... but have just realised that I need to be back
    at home by noon Friday 19th at the latest.

    I may not actually start my trip until after this coming weekend.....
    but I'll steal your routes anyway!

    Judith

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    Darren G said:

    may see you around then. A few of us (could be 2 at the current rate!)
    are going to Beacons on Fri night and camping at Brynich Camp site with
    routes planned for Sat and Sun am.

    Maybe.

    Thanks for the routes. I'll look at the map and see whether they
    tally up with my tentative plans.

    I'm hoping to be camped in a good place to see the Leonids towards the
    end of the week ...... but have just realised that I need to be back
    at home by noon Friday 19th at the latest.

    I may not actually start my trip until after this coming weekend.....
    but I'll steal your routes anyway!

    please help yourself. until I've been and done them: caveat emptor :-)
    --
    Darren

  5. [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:

    I think Friday 12th will be too much of a rush for me but I should be
    able to magically appear somewhere in Wales on Saturday.


    Hang on then - which week are we talking about? I'd got it
    into my head it were this week coming, wot started about
    twenty minutes ago. Are we then talking instead about next
    week, starting on the 13th? I'm away that weekend; however
    I'm back Sunday night and am therefore free thereafter on
    Monday, Wednesday and Thursday. Unfortunately I can't get to
    the Beacons much before 10:00 and I have to leave at around
    14:00, which doesn't leave much time for anything. Unless I
    give the two smaller children a day off school and drag them
    along as well... Let's think: That would mean I wouldn't have
    to be back in time for the end of school, because Thomas is
    perfectly capable of walking home on his own, and by the time
    he gets home one of the older ones will be there as well... it
    could work... I still can't really do Tuesday or Friday
    though, 'cos I'm supposed to be in college in the afternoons
    and if I go AWOL there'll be a lot of catching up to do.
    --
    "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is
    probably the day that they start making vacuum cleaners."
    --Doc in alt.privacy

  6. In article <[email hidden]>, Darren G
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    First time I've done either of these routes, so please shout if I'm
    missing anything or dropped any howlers.


    Not all our proposed party will be as fit as you though ;-)
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Darren G
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    First time I've done either of these routes, so please shout if I'm
    missing anything or dropped any howlers.


    Not all our proposed party will be as fit as you though ;-)

    You may be paying me an unwarranted favour :-) We're working on 10
    miles in 8 hours daylight being do-able. And as having the car park
    right at the tail of the route really rules out any 'escape routes' it
    will have to be do-able!

    --
    Darren

  8. In article <[email hidden]>, Darren G
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    You may be paying me an unwarranted favour :-) We're working on 10
    miles in 8 hours daylight being do-able. And as having the car park
    right at the tail of the route really rules out any 'escape routes' it
    will have to be do-able!

    I doubt we'll have 8 hours to play with and 6 to 8 miles max would be
    my limit nowadays.
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  9. [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Darren G
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    You may be paying me an unwarranted favour :-) We're working on 10
    miles in 8 hours daylight being do-able. And as having the car park
    right at the tail of the route really rules out any 'escape routes' it
    will have to be do-able!

    I doubt we'll have 8 hours to play with and 6 to 8 miles max would be
    my limit nowadays.


    I'll only have 4 hours at my disposal because of school
    constraints.
    --
    "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is
    probably the day that they start making vacuum cleaners."
    --Doc in alt.privacy

  10. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Darren G
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    You may be paying me an unwarranted favour :-) We're working on 10
    miles in 8 hours daylight being do-able. And as having the car park
    right at the tail of the route really rules out any 'escape routes' it
    will have to be do-able!

    I doubt we'll have 8 hours to play with and 6 to 8 miles max would be
    my limit nowadays.

    Sounds perfect for the Sunday route then. We're aiming to be in a bar
    somewhere for a roast dinner by early afternoon!!

    --
    Darren

  11. In article <[email hidden]>, Darren G
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Sounds perfect for the Sunday route then. We're aiming to be in a bar
    somewhere for a roast dinner by early afternoon!!


    Try the "Tai'r Bull" on the A470 about two miles south of Brecon,
    alternatively try "The Barn" at the Brynich camp site.
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  12. Darren G said:

    And the -5 temp forecast for the night finally tipped the
    balance :-)

    Excellent!

    I'm looking forward to it now. Zipped into sleeping bag, sipping hot
    chocolate. The colder the better. Bring it on!

    Judith
    Note to self: remember where I put my Berghaus thermal longjohns.

  13. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Darren G
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Sounds perfect for the Sunday route then. We're aiming to be in a bar
    somewhere for a roast dinner by early afternoon!!


    Try the "Tai'r Bull" on the A470 about two miles south of Brecon,
    alternatively try "The Barn" at the Brynich camp site.

    Cheers Bill, will do.

    Unfortunately I've given in to pressure from the girlie element of the
    party and we're now at the YHA up the road. I did seriously consider
    camping by myself, but decided it wasn't very sociable when there for
    the weekend. And the -5 temp forecast for the night finally tipped the
    balance :-)

    --
    Darren

  14. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    Darren G said:

    And the -5 temp forecast for the night finally tipped the
    balance :-)

    Excellent!

    I'm looking forward to it now. Zipped into sleeping bag, sipping hot
    chocolate. The colder the better. Bring it on!


    I'm with you on this one (figuratively speaking, before anyone says it).
    I much prefer camping in the cold. Unfortunately a certain young lady
    does not. Either that or it was my drunken snoring last time that put
    her off!!

    --
    Darren

  15. Judith said:

    I'm looking forward to it now. Zipped into sleeping bag, sipping hot
    chocolate. The colder the better. Bring it on!

    But wouldn't you rather be sitting next to the camp fire, looking up at
    the stars, eating burnt baked potatoes and drinking smoky tea?

    Yes, I am serious! Don't forget the spuds and the silver paper to wrap
    them in. Baked parsnips are really nice too. Perhaps some crumpet or
    marshmallows if you feel so inclined.

    The camp site is only a 5 minute flattish walk from the car, so don't
    worry about being overloaded, you can easily make two journeys if
    necessary, bring a duvet if you want!

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
    http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

  16. In article <[email hidden]>, Judith
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Excellent!

    I'm looking forward to it now. Zipped into sleeping bag, sipping hot
    chocolate. The colder the better. Bring it on!

    Judith
    Note to self: remember where I put my Berghaus thermal longjohns.

    I'll bring you some Hot Chocolate - I just bought a huge tin from Makro
    !
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  17. In article <[email hidden]>, Paul Saunders
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    But wouldn't you rather be sitting next to the camp fire, looking up at
    the stars, eating burnt baked potatoes and drinking smoky tea?

    Yes, I am serious! Don't forget the spuds and the silver paper to wrap
    them in. Baked parsnips are really nice too. Perhaps some crumpet or
    marshmallows if you feel so inclined.

    The camp site is only a 5 minute flattish walk from the car, so don't
    worry about being overloaded, you can easily make two journeys if
    necessary, bring a duvet if you want!

    I thought the fire was the attraction when I saw the GR.. Who's going on
    this fry-up anyway -n you've kept pretty quiet on this one!
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  18. Paul Saunders said:


    Yes, I am serious! Don't forget the spuds and the silver paper to wrap
    them in. Baked parsnips are really nice too. Perhaps some crumpet or
    marshmallows if you feel so inclined.

    Oh Paul, you know how to show a girl a good time. ;-)

    Judith

  19. W. D. Grey said:

    I thought the fire was the attraction when I saw the GR.. Who's going on
    this fry-up anyway -n you've kept pretty quiet on this one!

    Well, until a few minutes ago it was going to be Paul and me ..... but
    on different nights!

    I'm not really sure who's going to be there. Quite a select bunch, I
    think; you'll have to beg for an invitation.

    Judith

  20. In article <[email hidden]>, Judith
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    Paul Saunders said:


    Yes, I am serious! Don't forget the spuds and the silver paper to wrap
    them in. Baked parsnips are really nice too. Perhaps some crumpet or
    marshmallows if you feel so inclined.

    Oh Paul, you know how to show a girl a good time. ;-)

    Judith

    Paul - don't forget anything like .....matches for example :-)
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.