Broke my KH saddle hopping up a curb.

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by Skippii, Jan 14, 2005.

  1. Skippii

    Skippii Guest

    I just hopped up a curb (which is about the extent of my hopping
    abilities) and something went pop, and my seat was suddenly a lot loser.

    One of the front screws had broken off a long time ago, just from
    tightening the nut on it.
    When I hopped up the curb, the other front screw ripped straight through
    the metal plate, and straight through the plastic.
    I opened up the seat to replace the screws, and realized that in
    addition to that, the metal plate had snapped in half.

    All this from jumping up a 5 or 6 inch curb?

    I'm not sure I'm such a fan of the KH seats anymore.
    I don't have much skills in metalworking, so I'll probably have to buy a
    new one.
    For the time being, though, I replaced the seatpost with a 3-foot dowel
    rod.
    I couldn't ride seat out before, but today I spent hours learning to
    ride just holding onto the dowel rod, and I'm consistantly getting over
    300 feet now.
    So that's good, but I'm still annoyed.

    Any advice?

    --
    Skippii - Kingpin, One for the Road

    One for the Road: Harrisonburg's Unicycle gang.
    Skippii's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7822

  2. Murde Mental

    Murde Mental Guest

  3. KcTheAcy

    KcTheAcy Guest

  4. Skippii

    Skippii Guest

    KcTheAcy wrote:
    > *Which model was it. I think the seats made after they got slightly
    > skinner up front are a lot stronger. I have 2 older ones and they have
    > a lot more flex than my 2 newer ones. *

    I got it this past august. Just a few weeks before the prices went down
    on Unicycle.com

    --
    Skippii - Kingpin, One for the Road

    One for the Road: Harrisonburg's Unicycle gang.
    Skippii's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7822

  5. UniBrier

    UniBrier Guest

    Sorry to hear about the KH seat.
    Skippii wrote:
    > *For the time being, though, I replaced the seatpost with a 3-foot
    > dowel rod.
    >
    > I couldn't ride seat out before, but today I spent hours learning to
    > ride just holding onto the dowel rod, and I'm consistantly getting
    > over 300 feet now.
    >

    > Any advice? *

    My advice is to put a hobby horse head on that dowel rod and you'll get
    tons of laughs riding seat out around town.:)

    --
    UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

    Steve

    Do your feet smell? Does you nose run?...You may be built upside down.
    -Old joke I found in a Mad Magazine many moons ago.

    UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

  6. Skippii

    Skippii Guest

    UniBrier wrote:
    > *Sorry to hear about the KH seat.
    >
    > My advice is to put a hobby horse head on that dowel rod and you'll
    > get tons of laughs riding seat out around town.:) *

    Hah! I'm so going to do this!
    This is the greatest idea ever!

    --
    Skippii - Kingpin, One for the Road

    One for the Road: Harrisonburg's Unicycle gang.
    Skippii's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7822

  7. Put a dowell rod on it?ha.

    You could get an old seat post or the same one and get sombody to weld
    the seat onto it.

    --
    forrestunifreak - R.I.P. Unibiker

    Whenever im feeling blue,i just start breathing again.

  8. Skippii

    Skippii Guest

    forrestunifreak wrote:
    > *Put a dowell rod on it?ha.
    >
    > You could get an old seat post or the same one and get sombody to weld
    > the seat onto it. *

    But the seat is plastic.:confused:

    --
    Skippii - Kingpin, One for the Road

    One for the Road: Harrisonburg's Unicycle gang.
    Skippii's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7822

  9. Skippii

    Skippii Guest

    I suppose what I really should be asking, is, am I hopping completely
    wrong are are these seats just not very strong?

    --
    Skippii - Kingpin, One for the Road

    One for the Road: Harrisonburg's Unicycle gang.
    Skippii's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7822

  10. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 21:57:33 -0600, "Skippii" wrote:

    >I suppose what I really should be asking, is, am I hopping completely
    >wrong are are these seats just not very strong?

    Ja, that's what I was thinking. Your timing of jumping and pulling up
    the seat is probably off.

    The hobby horse head idea is great!

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    It's impossible to get old when you ride a unicycle - John (what's in a name) Childs

  11. siafirede

    siafirede Guest

  12. lleberg

    lleberg Guest

  13. k I can hop just under 2 feet high and drop 5 feet down and I have never
    broken a seat so i dont know how you guys do it:confused:

    --
    brockfisher05 - you are deeply mised unibiker

    check out my gallery at :
    http://gallery.vanuni.com/thumbnails.php?album=6

    check out my groups website at www.vanuni.com

    Add me to your msn at [email protected]
    brockfisher05's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8363

  14. Fuego

    Fuego Guest

    I thin k it's probably technique, weight of uni, and luck. I've never
    broken a seat, but I killed a couple of seatposts. My brother killed a
    seat jumping on a stump. I beleive the new KH seats are stronger, too.
    The old ones with Unicycle.com on the back are pretty weak, i think,
    because they feel a lot less stiff, and that's what my brother broke.

    my (shameless promotion of something I'm not even selling)
    'Seat/seatpost stiffeners ' (http://tinyurl.com/7y7xb) one of these
    makes a seatpost a lot stronger, and probably eliminates the possibility
    of breaking a seat. There's a tutorial for making these on near the
    bottom of the page.

    --
    Fuego - Unicycle Ninja

    "Unicycling is more about the center of concentration than the center of
    balance."

    If you don't want us riding on your concrete, don't make it in such damn
    interesting shapes!
    Fuego's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6983

  15. Skippii

    Skippii Guest

    I mounted a big fluffy horsie head on a 5 foot steel pole, and replaced
    the dowel with that.

    The best part: It makes horse noises and plays William Tell really
    loudly when you press the ear.

    The looks I've gotten so far have been incredible.
    Especially from the girls. ;)
    It's gonna be a good night.

    --
    Skippii - Kingpin, One for the Road

    One for the Road: Harrisonburg's Unicycle gang.
    Skippii's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7822

  16. No offense, but the only reason that seat broke on such a small hop is
    poor technique. I barely even lift or pull the seat to do hops up curbs,
    and thus my seats get minimal flex from that. The thing that killed my
    2 seats was big rolling hops and riding muni while pulling hard on the
    sedat. The new KH saddles are stronger, but I'm sticking with my cf base
    myself.

    --
    gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

    I'm Nick's main man.

    "Democracy is just a word when the people are starving"-Immortal
    Technique

  17. Skippii

    Skippii Guest

    gerblefranklin wrote:
    > *No offense, but the only reason that seat broke on such a small hop
    > is poor technique. I barely even lift or pull the seat to do hops up
    > curbs, and thus my seats get minimal flex from that. The thing that
    > killed my 2 seats was big rolling hops and riding muni while pulling
    > hard on the sedat. The new KH saddles are stronger, but I'm sticking
    > with my cf base myself. *

    Could you give me some advice on better technique?

    --
    Skippii - Kingpin, One for the Road

    One for the Road: Harrisonburg's Unicycle gang.
    Skippii's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7822

  18. UniBrier

    UniBrier Guest

    Skippii wrote:
    > *I mounted a big fluffy horsie head on a 5 foot steel pole, and
    > replaced the dowel with that.
    >
    > The best part: It makes horse noises and plays William Tell really
    > loudly when you press the ear.
    >

    > The looks I've gotten so far have been incredible.
    > Especially from the girls. ;)
    > It's gonna be a good night. *

    Pictures Please!

    --
    UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

    Steve

    Do your feet smell? Does you nose run?...You may be built upside down.
    -Old joke I found in a Mad Magazine many moons ago.

    UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

  19. Skippii

    Skippii Guest

    UniBrier wrote:
    > *Pictures Please! *

    I've got a picture right here with me, on a disk.
    To bad this computer won't read the disk. :(

    --
    Skippii - Kingpin, One for the Road

    One for the Road: Harrisonburg's Unicycle gang.
    Skippii's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7822

  20. Skippii

    Skippii Guest

    johnfoss wrote:
    > *No.
    >
    > Unless that was the first riding you ever did after putting that seat
    > on the uni. The break was a result of the wear & tear of your whole
    > riding/learning process up until that moment. The metal plate was
    > probably already broken in half. The missing bolt didn't help
    > either.
    >
    > Unfortunately, now that unicycles are built so much stronger than they
    > were a few years ago, the weak point is in the seat and post. They
    > haven't caught up yet.
    >
    > The wear & tear that led to your break is probably as much from
    > pushing down on it as pulling up. The combination of the two fatigues
    > the metal and just yanks on the plastic. I think the newer KH seats
    > are much more resistant to the bolts pulling through as well. *

    This is good to know.
    Thanks.