Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Broken dropout on vintage Trek Frame

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 8 posts · 657 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
28 December 2007
Last activity
29 December 2007
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
657
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello all,

    I was building up a vintage steel Trek 950 frame from 1981 tonight and
    noticed a cracked rear derailleur dropout. Can anyone recommend a
    framebuilder to replace it? I live in Charlotte, NC and would like to
    stay local if possible. Thanks in advance.

  2. On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 20:09:05 -0800 (PST), [email hidden] may

    have said:

    Hello all,

    I was building up a vintage steel Trek 950 frame from 1981 tonight and
    noticed a cracked rear derailleur dropout. Can anyone recommend a
    framebuilder to replace it? I live in Charlotte, NC and would like to
    stay local if possible. Thanks in advance.

    A cracked steel dropout? Where's the crack? It may not matter, or it
    may be in a position that's safely repairable by simply brazing the
    crack. If the crack is in the der tab itself, simply drilling it out
    and brazing in a frame saver bushing would be completely adequate.

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  3. Werehatrack said:

    On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 20:09:05 -0800 (PST), [email hidden] may

    have said:

    Hello all,

    Quoted message said:

    I was building up a vintage steel Trek 950 frame from 1981 tonight and
    noticed a cracked rear derailleur dropout. Can anyone recommend a
    framebuilder to replace it? I live in Charlotte, NC and would like to
    stay local if possible. Thanks in advance.

    A cracked steel dropout?  Where's the crack?  It may not matter, or it
    may be in a position that's safely repairable by simply brazing the
    crack.  If the crack is in the der tab itself, simply drilling it out
    and brazing in a frame saver bushing would be completely adequate.

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

    Unfortunately, the crack is located on the bottom of the doropout near
    the chainstay . The best solution is to replace the dropout.

  4. Quoted message said:
    Werehatrack said:

    On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 20:09:05 -0800 (PST), [email hidden] may
    have said:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hello all,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I was building up a vintage steel Trek 950 frame from 1981 tonight and
    noticed a cracked rear derailleur dropout. Can anyone recommend a
    framebuilder to replace it? I live in Charlotte, NC and would like to
    stay local if possible. Thanks in advance.

    Quoted message said:

    A cracked steel dropout?  Where's the crack?  It may not matter, or it
    may be in a position that's safely repairable by simply brazing the
    crack.  If the crack is in the der tab itself, simply drilling it out
    and brazing in a frame saver bushing would be completely adequate.

    Quoted message said:

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

    Unfortunately, the crack is located on the bottom of the doropout near
    the chainstay . The best solution is to replace the dropout.- Hide quoted text -

    - Show quoted text -

    <YMMV>I had a crack in what sounds like the same location on an '80s
    Nishiki International I was riding as a beater fixie. I walked into my
    greasy, been-there LBS asking about a local brazer. To my surprise,
    they recommended I have it welded by a guy around the corner who works
    with wrought iron. Around 30 seconds and $5 later I was carrying the
    frame home for a spot of nail polish. I was anxious about the heat
    harming the brazed joint, but I've been riding it for a couple years
    with no ill effects.</YMMV>

    Scott

  5. Quoted message said:

    Hello all,

    I was building up a vintage steel Trek 950 frame from 1981 tonight and
    noticed a cracked rear derailleur dropout. Can anyone recommend a
    framebuilder to replace it? I live in Charlotte, NC and would like to
    stay local if possible. Thanks in advance.

    I'm in Atlanta, GA. If no one knows of an NC frame repair place, Tamara
    at http://www.bicycleframework.com/ did a really good job on my Trek 330
    with the exact same problem.

    \\paul

  6. Quoted message said:

    I was building up a vintage steel Trek 950 frame from 1981 tonight and
    noticed a cracked rear derailleur dropout. Can anyone recommend a
    framebuilder to replace it? I live in Charlotte, NC and would like to
    stay local if possible. Thanks in advance.

    We do that here:
    http://www.yellowjersey.org/endweld.html

    So do lots of frame shops
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  7. Werehatrack said:
    Quoted message said:

    I was building up a vintage steel Trek 950 frame from 1981 tonight and
    noticed a cracked rear derailleur dropout. Can anyone recommend a
    framebuilder to replace it? I live in Charlotte, NC and would like to
    stay local if possible. Thanks in advance.

    Quoted message said:

    A cracked steel dropout? Where's the crack? It may not matter, or it
    may be in a position that's safely repairable by simply brazing the
    crack. If the crack is in the der tab itself, simply drilling it out
    and brazing in a frame saver bushing would be completely adequate.

    A 1981 Trek 950 would probably have Shimano UF dropouts (good luck
    finding a replacement!); these are "semi-vertical" with a very short
    slot. The typical failure mode for these was across the chainstay tab,
    usually not noticed until the failure was complete. At which point
    replacement is the safest option.

    http://www.cccycles.com/images/shimano-ufS.jpg

    We saw a lot of these fail, and replaced them with Campy 1010B dropouts.

    --

    John ([email hidden])

  8. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I was building up a vintage steel Trek 950 frame from 1981 tonight and
    noticed a cracked rear derailleur dropout. Can anyone recommend a
    framebuilder to replace it? I live in Charlotte, NC and would like to
    stay local if possible.

    Quoted message said:
    Werehatrack said:

    A cracked steel dropout? Where's the crack? It may not matter, or it
    may be in a position that's safely repairable by simply brazing the
    crack. If the crack is in the der tab itself, simply drilling it out
    and brazing in a frame saver bushing would be completely adequate.

    John Thompson said:

    A 1981 Trek 950 would probably have Shimano UF dropouts (good luck
    finding a replacement!); these are "semi-vertical" with a very short
    slot. The typical failure mode for these was across the chainstay tab,
    usually not noticed until the failure was complete. At which point
    replacement is the safest option.
    http://www.cccycles.com/images/shimano-ufS.jpg
    We saw a lot of these fail, and replaced them with Campy 1010B dropouts.

    The classic Campagnolo and Shimano (and most top quality competitors)
    ends were forged mild steel until the early 1980s when they were
    'improved' by changing to SCM castings. Although prettier and faster
    (less cleanup time) they are nowhere near as tolerant of misalignment,
    overheating or other damage.
    It isn't the Shimano ends per se, but rather the late model overly hard
    material versions which are trouble.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.