UK and Europe · Public discussion

Bronte Country + Lancashire

Started by Mseries · · Last activity · 12 posts · 569 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
23 May 2004
Last activity
25 May 2004
Original author
Mseries
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
569
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Today I joined my favourite route, which I've called my
    Bronte Ride as it passed close to Haworth and over Oxenhope
    Moor, to another of my routes. Heres where I went

    From Leeds up Wharfedale to Addingham over to Keighley via
    Silsden. Up to Haworth, Oxenhope and over Oxenhope Moor to
    Hebden Bridge (43 miles, 21 directly home from here). This
    is where I picked up the second route and turned right to
    Todmorden and on to Littleborough. Over a great climb on the
    A58 and a superb descent to Ripponden. Home via Elland,
    Brighouse, Cooper Bridge. 82 miles in total giving me 101
    for the weekend.

    I saw lots of cyclists today, lots more than usual and many
    more motorcyclists than usual. It was a good day for it,
    sunny with the wind from the West giving a me a tailwind for
    the journey home.

  2. Quoted message said:

    From Leeds up Wharfedale to Addingham over to Keighley via
    Silsden. Up to Haworth, Oxenhope and over Oxenhope Moor to
    Hebden Bridge (43 miles, 21 directly home from here).

    I'll have to give the route a try. I can always stop off at
    a pals at Haworth for tea and cake. I know the route quite
    well as i used to have to visit a robotic telescope on the
    moors between Haworth and Hebden Bridge. I'm not sure that
    I'm up for all the climbing though or are the hills not as
    severe as I imagine them? My memory tells me that the climbs
    are only marginally less prolonged than Kettlewell to
    Coverdale and have no 'killer sections'

    Quoted message said:

    This is where I picked up the second route and turned right
    to Todmorden and on to Littleborough. Over a great climb on


    the

    Quoted message said:

    A58 and a superb descent to Ripponden. Home via Elland,
    Brighouse, Cooper Bridge.

    This bit of Yorkshire is a complete mystery to me.

    82 miles in total giving me 101 for the weekend.

    Double my mileage but there again I'm nearly double your
    weight so I'm claiming parity :-)

    Quoted message said:


    I saw lots of cyclists today, lots more than usual and
    many more motorcyclists than usual. It was a good day for
    it, sunny with the wind


    from

    Quoted message said:

    the West giving a me a tailwind for the journey home.

    None of my miles benfited from tailwinds :-( Soon I'll
    have the luxury of choosing pedal cycle or motor cycle
    for journeys...I've been hankering after a motor cycle
    since I trashed my last one seven years ago only just
    plucked up courage to negotiate an acquisition from my
    personal Ayatollah-ess

    I did 25 miles on the Raleight R100 yesterday evening (Leeds
    - Selby and a train back) and 25 miles on the Galaxy today;
    a 12 mile loop round Meanwood, Alwoodly, Eccup and Wike and
    a 13 mile loop taking in the city centre, canal basin, Leeds
    Liverpool canal towpath to Kirkstall and back to Meanwood.
    The last ride was a utilitarian one -to pay some cheques
    into my account and I surprised myself by choosing to cycle
    instead of driving into town.

    I'm dithering about cycling into work in Bradford a couple
    of times per week. It's a 30 mile return journey but
    heavily polluted round the ring road - it would do wonders
    for upping my weekly mileage but perhaps not so good for
    my lungs :-(

  3. "vernon levy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    From Leeds up Wharfedale to Addingham over to Keighley
    via Silsden. Up


    to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Haworth, Oxenhope and over Oxenhope Moor to Hebden
    Bridge (43 miles, 21 directly home from here).

    I'll have to give the route a try. I can always stop off
    at a pals at Haworth for tea and cake. I know the route
    quite well as i used to have


    to

    Quoted message said:

    visit a robotic telescope on the moors between Haworth and
    Hebden Bridge. I'm not sure that I'm up for all the
    climbing though or are the hills not


    as

    Quoted message said:

    severe as I imagine them? My memory tells me that the
    climbs are only marginally less prolonged than Kettlewell
    to Coverdale and have no 'killer sections'

    I used to do these loops on a 39x24 until last year and had
    to save them for when I was at my fittest. With a triple
    chainset (30x25) they are easily do able, none of the uphill
    parts in the anti clockwise direction have gradient
    warnings, the descent into Hebden Bridge is 17% though its
    actually closed at them moment to have the walls rebuilt so
    I crusied up & down with very little traffic around. I don't
    think I was in my lowest gear much on this
    climb. This route is long and tough but not as tough as
    Coverdale as it doesn't have the 25% section. The
    hills are not that steep just pretty lengthy, there
    is a steep section in Oxenhope for about three
    quarters of a mile and it is tempting to give it ones
    all in this section and leave nothing for the rest !
    From Keighley to Hebden Bridge is 10 miles, I reckon
    about half is climbing half descending.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    This is where I picked up the second route and turned
    right to Todmorden and on to Littleborough. Over a great
    climb on


    the

    Quoted message said:

    A58 and a superb descent to Ripponden. Home via Elland,
    Brighouse,


    Cooper

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Bridge.

    This bit of Yorkshire is a complete mystery to me.

    I checked out a new road on Saturday which was about two
    miles all downhill, speed camera in a 30 mph section ;-) I
    have several routes due West of Morley, each side of the M62
    which cross it several times. All are hilly with splendid
    views and little traffic. Through the towns, Huddersfield,
    Cleckheaton, Heck., Brighouse, Elland there is usually a
    fair amount of traffic

    Quoted message said:

    82 miles in total giving me 101 for the weekend.

    Double my mileage but there again I'm nearly double your
    weight so I'm claiming parity :-)

    I have lost one stone since losing my job. Not related but
    coincidental with a mega healthy eating campaign and more
    time to ride - well kind of related.

    Quoted message said:

    None of my miles benfited from tailwinds :-( Soon I'll
    have the luxury of choosing pedal cycle or motor cycle for
    journeys...I've been hankering


    after

    Quoted message said:

    a motor cycle since I trashed my last one seven years ago
    only just


    plucked

    Quoted message said:

    up courage to negotiate an acquisition from my personal
    Ayatollah-ess

    In June I am going to the World Superbikes at Silverstone.
    Been to Brands for it before and seen several rounds of the
    British Superbikes. Don't have a licence to ride such a
    machine, Mrs MSeries will never agree to that. I doubt I'd
    do much cycling if I had a motorbike to be honest.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm dithering about cycling into work in Bradford a couple
    of times per week. It's a 30 mile return journey but
    heavily polluted round the ring road - it would do wonders
    for upping my weekly mileage but perhaps not so good for
    my lungs :-(

    I wouldn't fancy commuting by bike to Bradford to be honest,
    I rarely ride through Bradford

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    I wouldn't fancy commuting by bike to Bradford to be
    honest, I rarely ride through Bradford


    I used to commute to bradford. From Burley in Wharfedale. 5
    miles up hill through Guisley to the top of Hollins hill, 1
    mile down to the bottom o0f HH the a gentle 4 mile trundle
    into bradford (with a little hill through Shiply) Going home
    was a pig though, HH is a nasty hill that gets steeper as
    you get to the top. I used to ride it befor the traffic
    lights, the idea of stoping half way up HH makes me feel
    quite ill from 13 years away. Mind you the run down from
    guisley to burley could be quite pleasent.
    --
    .paul

    If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving is probably not
    the sport for you.

  5. MSeries said:

    "vernon levy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm dithering about cycling into work in Bradford a
    couple of times per week. It's a 30 mile return journey
    but heavily polluted round the ring road - it would do
    wonders for upping my weekly mileage but perhaps not so
    good for my lungs :-(

    I wouldn't fancy commuting by bike to Bradford to be
    honest, I rarely ride through Bradford

    Your a fit [censored], you'd have no trouble. Coming in from
    the south its a pull up to the ring road, then a blast down
    into town. On the way back its a bit of a drag up to the
    ring road but then only a mile or 2 till countryside.

    Do you think the Kash would let you take a bike inside?
    Perhaps a curry run from Dewsbury/Morley/Spen etc would be
    fun. First one to change gear pays.

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

    Love this:
    Put an end to Outlook Express's messy quotes
    home.in.tum.deoe quotefix

  6. AndyMorris said:


    Your a fit [censored], you'd have no trouble. Coming in from
    the south its a pull up to the ring road, then a blast
    down into town. On the way back its a bit of a drag up to
    the ring road but then only a mile or 2 till countryside.

    S'not t'hills t'is the [censored] drivers.

    Quoted message said:

    Do you think the Kash would let you take a bike inside?
    Perhaps a curry run from Dewsbury/Morley/Spen etc would be
    fun. First one to change gear pays.

    Kash ?

  7. AndyMorris said:


    Your a fit [censored], you'd have no trouble.

    and another thing, we are due another few laps in the
    velodrome. Anyone else care to join us in June (2 weekends
    are out for me) or July ?

  8. Quoted message said:

    S'not t'hills t'is the [censored] drivers.

    It's scary enough dealing with them when in or on motorised
    transport but to be fair there's a chap I see every day who
    cycles from Horsforth to at least Thornbury. My route would
    be Moortown, Weetwood, Horsforth, Rodly, Pudsey (all round
    the ring road), Thornbury, Dudley Hill, Odsal then
    Buttershaw. Much slower going there than coming back. I used
    to cycle to work when i worked in West Bowling.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Do you think the Kash would let you take a bike inside?
    Perhaps a curry run from Dewsbury/Morley/Spen etc would
    be fun. First one to change gear pays.

    Kash ?


    The Kashmir, *the* curry house to eat in, in Bradford.
    Unbeatable for value. Been a customer of theirs for 25
    years.

  9. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Your a fit [censored], you'd have no trouble.

    Quoted message said:

    and another thing, we are due another few laps in the
    velodrome. Anyone


    else

    Quoted message said:

    care to join us in June (2 weekends are out for me)
    or July ?


    What does it cost and how fit do you have to be?

    Do they allow fat bas*#rds on their bikes?

  10. vernon levy said:

    What does it cost and how fit do you have to be?

    You'd be up to it.

    Quoted message said:

    Do they allow fat bas*#rds on their bikes?

    They do at Calshot.

  11. vernon levy said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Your a fit [censored], you'd have no trouble.

    Quoted message said:

    and another thing, we are due another few laps in the
    velodrome. Anyone else care to join us in June (2
    weekends are out for me) or July ?


    What does it cost and how fit do you have to be?

    Its 6 or 7 quid for the use of the track and hire of a bike.
    I'm not fit for a cyclist and I managed.

    Quoted message said:

    Do they allow fat bas*#rds on their bikes?

    They let me. (16 stone)

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

    Love this:
    Put an end to Outlook Express's messy quotes
    home.in.tum.deoe quotefix

  12. vernon levy said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Your a fit [censored], you'd have no trouble.

    Quoted message said:

    and another thing, we are due another few laps in the
    velodrome. Anyone else care to join us in June (2
    weekends are out for me) or July ?


    What does it cost and how fit do you have to be?

    Do they allow fat bas*#rds on their bikes?

    It is £7-20 for waged people, this includes use of the bike
    but not shoes. Rental of shoes with Look cleats was £2 I
    think. The bikes have Look pedals and they also have clip on
    toeclips and straps if you want to use trainers. The taster
    sessions are free format, take as many breaks as you want,
    go as fast as you want. I am sure they'd let anyone have a
    go who can ride.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.