Bruised Tailbone

v3lvetpresley

Apr 14, 2004
Hi all. Newbie here. Not sure if anyone can help, but here we go.... I got myself a Mountain Bike at the weekend, primarily for biking to work and back, but also for a bit of offroad when the mood takes me. It's the first time I've ridden a bike for about 6 years. I first used it properly yesterday, to get to work. The way there was fine, slight discomfort around my backside, but nothing i wouldn't put down to 'getting used to it again'. On the way home, I decided to take the canal, as it was flatter. It was very gravelly and bumpy though, and by the time I got home, my tailbone was in agony. I tried to cycle to the shop after I got home, but I ended up wheeling my bike home as I just couldn't sit on the saddle. Then, when I got on my bike this morning to get to work, It hurt *really* bad. I ended up wheeling it back home and getting a lift off my wife. Does this sound like a simple bruising, or something worse? If so, what are the healing times? It aches when I sit down on anything, and there is discomfort when I walk.

The distance to work is only 7 or 8 Miles, and I don't remember issuing a large bump to my backside... can this happen from travelling along gravel?

As a side note, can anyone recommend something so I can maybe resume cycling? Maybe some padded shorts, or something. Bear in mind I'm on a limited budget, so home made items would be good.

Cheers Chaps/Chapesses.

Originally posted by v3lvetpresley
Hi all. Newbie here. Not sure if anyone can help, but here we go.... I got myself a Mountain Bike at the weekend, primarily for biking to work and back, but also for a bit of offroad when the mood takes me. It's the first time I've ridden a bike for about 6 years. I first used it properly yesterday, to get to work. The way there was fine, slight discomfort around my backside, but nothing i wouldn't put down to 'getting used to it again'. On the way home, I decided to take the canal, as it was flatter. It was very gravelly and bumpy though, and by the time I got home, my tailbone was in agony. I tried to cycle to the shop after I got home, but I ended up wheeling my bike home as I just couldn't sit on the saddle. Then, when I got on my bike this morning to get to work, It hurt *really* bad. I ended up wheeling it back home and getting a lift off my wife. Does this sound like a simple bruising, or something worse? If so, what are the healing times? It aches when I sit down on anything, and there is discomfort when I walk.

The distance to work is only 7 or 8 Miles, and I don't remember issuing a large bump to my backside... can this happen from travelling along gravel?

As a side note, can anyone recommend something so I can maybe resume cycling? Maybe some padded shorts, or something. Bear in mind I'm on a limited budget, so home made items would be good.

Cheers Chaps/Chapesses.

a lot of mountain bikes come with junky seats that can make your bum super sore.
you may want to invest in a more comfortable seat. bring your bike to your local bike shop and ask them what the problem may be.

I would look at getting some riding shorts. They will help some. Not sure where you are but you can pick up some at performance cycle for a good price. You also might experiement with your saddle position. Some times adding a little tilt in either direction or moving it forward or backward can make or break your back side. If neither helps you might want to pick up a different saddle, some of them are not one size fits all. I had the same problem with the saddle that I have currently but have solved most of it with some adjustments.

Good luck,
Codfish.

might try adjusting the angle of your saddle, getting a new one, or looking into a suspension seatpost.

Thanks guys. I got a gel seat cover, and raised the seat considerably, and tilted it back slightly, and it's eased it somewhat. I think I will get a new seat. I'm in the UK - does anyone know of a decent seat? I am on a bit of a budget though.

Thanks again!

cycling shorts would be nice too. maybe the baggy mountain style. i know this is seeming expensive for you :(
sorry, but i have a saddle sore right now from not wearing shorts, and I don't think anyone would want to deal with this.
Never ride in jeans. I thought I was being smart by riding in jeans yesterday because the trails were muddy, but now...... i deeply regret it :(

I use a Merida MTB for training, I fitted a suspension seat post and an after market "Giant" mens seat with the tailbone cut out and a grooge for the "nose wheel", it cost $49 in Aus.

Gel covers will probably cuse chaffing. You need a narrow saddle to get the leg down.

Seat height and angle is very important, go to some of the self measuring websites and set the bike up correctly if the selling dealer can't do this.

Also have a look at the Felt SR71/81/91 and the Avanti Blade range of flat bar road bikes for a good commuting set-up.