Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Budget Bike $800

Started by Bluebudgie · · Last activity · 9 posts · 1,580 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
10 August 2006
Last activity
11 August 2006
Original author
Bluebudgie
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,580
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. [font=Times New Roman]I am looking at buying a hybred Bike for part time commuting and general fitness I have a budget of around $800.00.[/font]

    [font=Times New Roman]So Far I have been recommended the following bikes by sales people in the bike shop and checked them out the following Brand and Models[/font]

    [font=Times New Roman]Orbea –Eibar[/font]

    [font=Times New Roman]Giant Farrago[/font]

    [font=Times New Roman]Trek 7300[/font]

    [font=Times New Roman]Avantai (well the sales guy was to busy to serve me and time run out)[/font]

    [font=Times New Roman] [/font]

    [font=Times New Roman]Without being able to ride them what suggestions on best buy etc on the above could you give me (Or suggest another make Model) or a link to a review site for a complete novice cheers[/font]

    [font=Times New Roman][/font]

    🙂

  2. Felt SR101, 91
    Giant CRX 3, 4, City
    Avanti Blade, Blade Sport
    Specialised Sirrus 😉

  3. Thanks George,

    Have been checking them out here in Hobart only have the Felt dealer to check out. I appreciate your help.

    Another question if i could get the money how much more would i need to spend for the next model up and any recommendations?

    [font='Times New Roman']Cheers Peter[/font]

    🙂

    gclark8 said:

    Felt SR101, 91
    Giant CRX 3, 4, City
    Avanti Blade, Blade Sport
    Specialised Sirrus 😉

  4. It is worth going 9 speed, yes more, it would be up to $1200-1400 depending on the brand. There may be some 2006 9 speed on special as the 2007 bikes are becoming available.

    Today I saw a new flat bar Orbea 9x3 speed, but it was sold, $850 on special, a 2005 model. They are out there. 😉

  5. I'd agree with george, Giant bikes have good warranties, are a well made, well specced bike for the price and are light. Go for a CRX. 2 or 3. you could pick up the 2 for around 800 if you look and ask.

  6. The Trek 7300 retails in the low $400 range. You could get a 7500 in your price range. They'll be mid $600 range, with much better components.

  7. The bikes you nominate in your original post are full blooded hybrids. The bikes George is pointing you toward are more in the category of flat bar road bikes, not that that is a problem. The hybrid will usually have 35 / 40 mm tyres, often suspension seat posts & suspension forks. They may be more comfortable, & sure footed on loose gravel. The negative side of this is their weight, when set up with small bag for puncture kit, pump, water cage they are close to 15 kgs.

    The flat bar road bikes on the other hand would have tyres usually from 25 / 32 mm, no sus forks, a little less comfortable, & the cheaper models may have a sus seat post. The frames are usually lighter because they are definately not intended for any off road use like the hybrid is. These FBRB will be quicker & less tiring on longer rides.

    Just some information which may help in your decision.
    BTW I rode a Trek 7300 for a few years, & now have an Avanti Blade

    Edit Just a tip Bluebudgie, I know your name sounds very Aussie to me but you can tell by other posters remarks that they do not know where Hobart is. So when asking specific Q re bike prices & models let ppl know were you live, or better still add your details in the cycleforum personal profile. This is the www remember🙂

    .

  8. For $800 you can get a sirrus sport, which has a road bike's crankset. It is a great bike. My wife has the Giant FCR2 which is also quite good. Whichever bike you get, spend as much as you can. You really do get what you pay for. I originally had a $300 diamondback hybrid, and when I upgraded, I was 3-5mph faster and could ride 10-15 miles further almost immediately.

    Whatever you do, avoid the "comfort" bikes. A lot of salespeople push those. They're overpriced beachcruisers.

  9. Thanks for the grat responses I am leaning more to the flat bar road bikes Felt SR 101 the dealer for them in Hobart Tasmania AUSTRALIA quoted me $655.00 which I thought was a good price he also quoted me a Jamis Coda at $590.00. Using these discounts I might try as suggested to spend more and get a price on the Felt SR 81 and the Coda comp as unfortunatly the Giant series were at retail as they were the 2007 models and the avantai blade dealer hade sold out of the blade sport waiting for the 2007 models. The same with the sirrus Thanks again from helping me out you have already saved me from making a bad purchase:o

    montreal5 said:

    For $800 you can get a sirrus sport, which has a road bike's crankset. It is a great bike. My wife has the Giant FCR2 which is also quite good. Whichever bike you get, spend as much as you can. You really do get what you pay for. I originally had a $300 diamondback hybrid, and when I upgraded, I was 3-5mph faster and could ride 10-15 miles further almost immediately.

    Whatever you do, avoid the "comfort" bikes. A lot of salespeople push those. They're overpriced beachcruisers.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.