Budgets

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Just Zis Guy, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    In case you hadn't spotted it, cars are the biggest item in the average family budget.

    <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/2685205.stm>

    Not that we'd dream of spending the money we save on more bikes, obviously.

    --
    Guy
    ===

  2. Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > In case you hadn't spotted it, cars are the biggest item in the average family budget.
    >
    > <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/2685205.stm>

    Transport is the biggest item.

    "Transport is the top expenditure for UK households, according to an annual government survey.

    "The average household spends £58 on transport, including buying and running vehicles as well as
    public transport fares."

    I would assume that buying and running vehicles means mainly cars and is a large portion of the 58
    quid, but the news report doesn't breakdown the costs any further. And remember, bikes are
    vehicles too!

    Colin

  3. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard of "Just
    zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Colin Blackburn wrote:
    >
    >> The operation costs of 23.60 does include 20p on bicycle accessories,
    >
    > 20p? Where is that bike shop, I want to go there!

    Our newish LBS (the second to open in Tavistock) has some excellent prices. But 20p makes even them
    look pricey.

    --
    Wear your paunch with pride!

  4. Colin Blackburn wrote:

    > I would assume that buying and running vehicles means mainly cars and is a large portion of the 58
    > quid, but the news report doesn't breakdown the costs any further. And remember, bikes are
    > vehicles too!

    The breakdown is available as an XLS or CSV dataset at:

    http://www.statistics.gov.uk/statbase/ssdataset.asp?vlnk=6228&More=Y

    In summary, that 57.70 includes:

    25.70 on purchase of vehicles, only 20p of that is not on cars, vans or motorbikes.

    The operation costs of 23.60 does include 20p on bicycle accessories, repairs and other costs. 23.40
    is therefore spent on motor vehicles.

    26.40 is spent of transport services, this includes 40p on car, van and bicycle hire.

    Colin

  5. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 12:49:04 +0000, Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Transport is the biggest item.

    Excluding fines. I think they spent more on fines than on cycling - maybe they've been hanging
    around P**l Sm*th's website too much :)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  6. Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:
    >"The average household spends £58 on transport, including buying and running vehicles as well as
    >public transport fares."

    ... per week, if anyone's wondering who's not seen the original article.

  7. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote:

    > The operation costs of 23.60 does include 20p on bicycle accessories,

    20p? Where is that bike shop, I want to go there!

    --
    Guy
    ===

  8. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > In summary, that 57.70 includes:
    >
    > 25.70 on purchase of vehicles, only 20p of that is not on cars, vans or motorbikes.
    >
    > The operation costs of 23.60 does include 20p on bicycle accessories, repairs and other costs.
    > 23.40 is therefore spent on motor vehicles.
    >
    > 8.40 is spent of transport services, this includes 40p on car, van and bicycle hire.

    As it happens, we get paid about that much as a `commuting allowance'. It's quite a struggle
    spending it all on bike maintenance, so we've had to do a lot of upgrading! The new tandem has eaten
    up several years' worth of allowance though...

    James

  9. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 19:00:15 +0000, [email protected] (Nick Kew) wrote:

    >>> The operation costs of 23.60 does include 20p on bicycle accessories,
    >> 20p? Where is that bike shop, I want to go there!
    >Our newish LBS (the second to open in Tavistock) has some excellent prices. But 20p makes even them
    >look pricey.

    Maybe they bought a single spoke nipple?

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  10. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > >> 20p? Where is that bike shop, I want to go there!
    > >Our newish LBS (the second to open in Tavistock) has some excellent
    prices.
    > >But 20p makes even them look pricey.
    >
    > Maybe they bought a single spoke nipple?
    >
    > Guy
    > ===
    Phew...20p for a single spoke nipple..bit pricey that :) unless of course you're talking about the
    titanium version with nano-sprung suspension...in which case - worra bargain, want one!! Dave.