Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

build with 9sp or 10sp ?

Started by botfood · · Last activity · 24 posts · 1,889 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
20 April 2007
Last activity
23 April 2007
Original author
botfood
Posts
24
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,889
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 24
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have an opportunity to build up a bike with either 9 or 10 speed
    lightly used Shimano DA gruppos. I only recently moved to 9spd, and
    have found it far more finicky to maintain good shifting than my
    trusty old worn out 8spd gruppo, so I am hesitant to go for 10.

    what would YOU do? stick with 9, or go for 10?

    d

  2. botfood <[email hidden]> wrote in news:1177093196.765188.66350
    @y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

    Quoted message said:

    what would YOU do? stick with 9, or go for 10?

    10 speed is a lot more expensive.

  3. sally said:

    botfood <[email hidden]> wrote in news:1177093196.765188.66350
    @y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

    Quoted message said:

    what would YOU do? stick with 9, or go for 10?

    10 speed is a lot more expensive.


    ---------
    both are lightly used, price almost identical.

  4. botfood said:

    I have an opportunity to build up a bike with either 9 or 10 speed
    lightly used Shimano DA gruppos. I only recently moved to 9spd, and
    have found it far more finicky to maintain good shifting than my
    trusty old worn out 8spd gruppo, so I am hesitant to go for 10.

    what would YOU do? stick with 9, or go for 10?

    d

    I find the shape of the 10-speed brifters much more comfortable. I'd
    go with 10spd based on that alone.

    Joseph

  5. botfood said:

    I have an opportunity to build up a bike with either 9 or 10 speed
    lightly used Shimano DA gruppos. I only recently moved to 9spd, and
    have found it far more finicky to maintain good shifting than my
    trusty old worn out 8spd gruppo, so I am hesitant to go for 10.

    what would YOU do? stick with 9, or go for 10?

    d

    Go with the flow..

    Lou
    --
    Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)

  6. botfood said:

    I have an opportunity to build up a bike with either 9 or 10 speed
    lightly used Shimano DA gruppos. I only recently moved to 9spd, and
    have found it far more finicky to maintain good shifting than my
    trusty old worn out 8spd gruppo, so I am hesitant to go for 10.

    what would YOU do? stick with 9, or go for 10?

    d

    Middle of last year I built up a new frame with new parts. Other two
    road bikes are Campagnolo 9 speed. 1998 and 2004 build dates. For
    the new bike I went with 10 speed Campagnolo. More expensive
    cassettes and chains. But easier to find and actually cheaper Ergo
    shifters. 9 speed Ergo shifters are hard to find. Campagnolo has
    been 10 speed for the last 6-7 years so I figured it was better to go
    with the most current and available parts.

    Recently I bought some used Ergo 9 speed shifters for a great price so
    the next bike will be 9 speed. Once I get the right frame to hang the
    parts on. Also bought some other good parts used for the eventual
    bike build. And have plenty of 9 speed cassettes and chains in
    stock. So I'm not afraid to go with 9 speed if I can get the key
    parts at great prices. But if everything was the same price or the
    premium for key 10 speed parts over 9 speed parts was acceptable, then
    go with 10 speed.

  7. botfood said:

    I have an opportunity to build up a bike with either 9 or 10 speed
    lightly used Shimano DA gruppos. I only recently moved to 9spd, and
    have found it far more finicky to maintain good shifting than my
    trusty old worn out 8spd gruppo, so I am hesitant to go for 10.
    what would YOU do? stick with 9, or go for 10?

    If your 9spd is finicky, something is wrong. I've had 9 spd for a few
    year and found it
    to be no more difficult, or easier, to maintain than 7 or 8 spd.
    Given the choice between 9 & 10 spd at the same price, I would go with
    the 10 spd.
    It's lighter and give you more gear choices.
    ----------------
    Alex

  8. "botfood" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have an opportunity to build up a bike with either 9 or 10 speed
    lightly used Shimano DA gruppos. I only recently moved to 9spd, and
    have found it far more finicky to maintain good shifting than my
    trusty old worn out 8spd gruppo, so I am hesitant to go for 10.

    what would YOU do? stick with 9, or go for 10?

    d


    Insignificant difference created for marketing purposes. If the price is
    the same, I would go with the latest and greatest 10 speed. Both should
    work well. I am unaware of any regular difficulties with Shimano Dura Ace 9
    speed. I would suspect that something other than the hardware is the
    problem such as the mounting position of the front derailleur, or bent rear
    derailluer hanger, or chain length, etc.,etc.

    BobT

  9. Depends if you ever want low gears or not. With 9-speed you can fit an MTB
    cassette if the ride is hilly enough. 10s road cassettes don't go very low.

    I've found that a 9-speed Dura-Ace RD copes with a 30 tooth cassette cog no
    proboem, and have been told by others that they've used 32...

    Nick

    "botfood" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have an opportunity to build up a bike with either 9 or 10 speed
    lightly used Shimano DA gruppos. I only recently moved to 9spd, and
    have found it far more finicky to maintain good shifting than my
    trusty old worn out 8spd gruppo, so I am hesitant to go for 10.

    what would YOU do? stick with 9, or go for 10?

  10. BobT said:

    Insignificant difference created for marketing purposes.

    Are you saying there is no value to a tenth cog other than the
    manufacturers' ability to sell the thing?
    --
    JT
    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  11. "John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    BobT said:

    Insignificant difference created for marketing purposes.

    Are you saying there is no value to a tenth cog other than the
    manufacturers' ability to sell the thing?
    --
    JT
    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************


    No, I'm not saying there is "no" value of a 10 speed cassette versus a 9
    speed cassette . I'm just saying that the value to the rider is small and
    probably insignificant and is probably less important than the value to the
    manufacturer/retailer. Please note, I own a relatively new carbon-fiber,
    Shimano 10 speed bike. I too am susceptable to marketing hype but as I
    become more knowledgable, I'm becoming a retro grouch.

    BobT

  12. botfood said:

    I have an opportunity to build up a bike with either 9 or 10 speed
    lightly used Shimano DA gruppos. I only recently moved to 9spd, and
    have found it far more finicky to maintain good shifting than my
    trusty old worn out 8spd gruppo, so I am hesitant to go for 10.

    what would YOU do? stick with 9, or go for 10?

    d

    9s STI levers were not nearly as reliable as 8s and less reliable as
    10s 'seems, so far.

  13. On Apr 20, 8:01 pm, "BobT" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    "botfood" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    news:[email hidden]...>I have an opportunity to build up a bike with either 9 or 10 speed

    Quoted message said:

    lightly used Shimano DA gruppos. I only recently moved to 9spd, and
    have found it far more finicky to maintain good shifting than my
    trusty old worn out 8spd gruppo, so I am hesitant to go for 10.

    Quoted message said:

    what would YOU do? stick with 9, or go for 10?

    Quoted message said:

    d

    Insignificant difference created for marketing purposes. If the price is
    the same, I would go with the latest and greatest 10 speed. Both should
    work well. I am unaware of any regular difficulties with Shimano Dura Ace 9
    speed.

    Ask many shops that don't mind warranty-ing 9s STI levers and you will
    see that many, like us, have sent dozens to shimano for warranty. 9s
    specifically. shimano, according to one of their clones, changed the
    design of 10s STI to rectify the problem(pushing small lever cause big
    lever to 'travel' with it, not allowing a shift Holding big lever
    outward while pushing small lever allows a shift-common problem on
    7700, 6500.)

    I would suspect that something other than the hardware is the

    Quoted message said:

    problem such as the mounting position of the front derailleur, or bent rear
    derailluer hanger, or chain length, etc.,etc.

    BobT

  14. BobT said:


    "John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    BobT said:

    Insignificant difference created for marketing purposes.

    Are you saying there is no value to a tenth cog other than the
    manufacturers' ability to sell the thing?
    --
    JT
    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************


    No, I'm not saying there is "no" value of a 10 speed cassette versus a 9
    speed cassette . I'm just saying that the value to the rider is small and
    probably insignificant and is probably less important than the value to the
    manufacturer/retailer. Please note, I own a relatively new carbon-fiber,
    Shimano 10 speed bike. I too am susceptable to marketing hype but as I
    become more knowledgable, I'm becoming a retro grouch.

    Let's put it this way, 10 speed is NOT 11% better than 9.

    Besides, I'll always manage to find a gap in the gears and ride there, doesn't
    matter how many cogs we get.

    Ron

  15. Dans le message de news:[email hidden],
    RonSonic <[email hidden]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :

    Quoted message said:
    BobT said:


    "John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 21:01:52 -0500, "BobT"
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > Insignificant difference created for marketing purposes.

    Are you saying there is no value to a tenth cog other than the
    manufacturers' ability to sell the thing?
    --
    JT
    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************


    No, I'm not saying there is "no" value of a 10 speed cassette versus
    a 9 speed cassette . I'm just saying that the value to the rider is
    small and probably insignificant and is probably less important than
    the value to the manufacturer/retailer. Please note, I own a
    relatively new carbon-fiber, Shimano 10 speed bike. I too am
    susceptable to marketing hype but as I become more knowledgable, I'm
    becoming a retro grouch.

    Let's put it this way, 10 speed is NOT 11% better than 9.

    Besides, I'll always manage to find a gap in the gears and ride
    there, doesn't matter how many cogs we get.

    Ron

    Horses for courses, of course, of course.

    Drop-bar racing bikes, which are meant for fast road riding, whether in
    exercise or in racing, with 10 speed instead of 9 speed, are just a little
    bit nicer. With Campa being there for a while already, it's also easier to
    find needed parts, at least where I live. And there are many times I miss
    the 18 gear on my winter bike, which is 9V, but with the same top and
    bottom.

    But to go get bread or something like that, any bike will do. The household
    lunker will get me there and back, no gear changes at all. For leaf
    looking, it doesn't take a racing bike to glide along quiet roads, although
    I really am more at ease on my regular bikes.

    But people can be drawn to "racing" bikes from intimidation, wannabeishness,
    vanity, and lots of other traits (weaknesses?), and it's not a
    manufacturer's responsiblity to act as moral compass. Campy, for example,
    has not spent a lot of effort trying to capture the mass market, although
    they do make groups for entry level, so people can have a chance to try this
    style of transmission. Flat-bar bikes, using 9V or 10V may not be a perfect
    answer, but they do seem to make sense for a crossover riding experience.

    Just don't diabolize 9V or 10V for being the answer to everything. They
    aren't. They are directed to an enthusiastic, energetic riding class. If
    Campa is no longer making 9V, it's because they aren't targeting the wide
    cycling population. But again, for the hard-riding crowd, 10V is a pretty
    nice way to go. And I don't mean 5x2.
    --
    Bonne route !

    Sandy
    Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

  16. "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Ask many shops that don't mind warranty-ing 9s STI levers and you will
    see that many, like us, have sent dozens to shimano for warranty. 9s
    specifically. shimano, according to one of their clones, changed the
    design of 10s STI to rectify the problem(pushing small lever cause big
    lever to 'travel' with it, not allowing a shift Holding big lever
    outward while pushing small lever allows a shift-common problem on
    7700, 6500.)

    I stand corrected. Is this more of a problem specifically with Dura-Ace
    (7700) and Ultegra (6500) 9 speed or are you seeing problems with other
    Shimano 9 speed brifters?

    I've had the problem you are describing in the past with my Shimano 600,
    8-speed levers and perhaps mistakenly thought this was a universal problem
    with STI. Mine have responded to the WD-40 flush and warmer weather in the
    past.

    BobT

  17. BobT said:

    "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Ask many shops that don't mind warranty-ing 9s STI levers and you
    will see that many, like us, have sent dozens to shimano for
    warranty. 9s specifically. shimano, according to one of their
    clones, changed the design of 10s STI to rectify the problem(pushing
    small lever cause big lever to 'travel' with it, not allowing a
    shift Holding big lever outward while pushing small lever allows a
    shift-common problem on 7700, 6500.)

    I stand corrected. Is this more of a problem specifically with
    Dura-Ace (7700) and Ultegra (6500) 9 speed or are you seeing problems
    with other Shimano 9 speed brifters?

    I've had the problem you are describing in the past with my Shimano
    600, 8-speed levers and perhaps mistakenly thought this was a
    universal problem with STI. Mine have responded to the WD-40 flush
    and warmer weather in the past.

    Add me to the list of 9-speed defects (my shifters, that is). Rear STI
    lever (D-A) crapped out in less than a year. Received a warranty
    replacement but its action is STIFF and I won't be shocked if it dies, too
    (after eating a cable, of course, right up in the body of the unit).

    Once had an 8-speed XT shifter go south in a seemingly similar way; also got
    a replacement under warranty.

    Bill "hard on components (but not wheels for some reason)" S.

  18. RonSonic said:
    BobT said:


    "John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 21:01:52 -0500, "BobT"
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    >Insignificant difference created for marketing purposes.

    Are you saying there is no value to a tenth cog other than the
    manufacturers' ability to sell the thing?
    --
    JT
    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************


    No, I'm not saying there is "no" value of a 10 speed cassette versus a 9
    speed cassette . I'm just saying that the value to the rider is small and
    probably insignificant and is probably less important than the value to the
    manufacturer/retailer. Please note, I own a relatively new carbon-fiber,
    Shimano 10 speed bike. I too am susceptable to marketing hype but as I
    become more knowledgable, I'm becoming a retro grouch.

    Let's put it this way, 10 speed is NOT 11% better than 9.


    Considering the OP can get both for about the same price, what's your
    point.

    Quoted message said:

    Besides, I'll always manage to find a gap in the gears and ride there, doesn't
    matter how many cogs we get.

    With 13 cogs in back, at my current fitness and riding, I couldn't.
    --
    JT
    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  19. botfood said:

    what would YOU do? stick with 9, or go for 10?

    Use the 9spd DA ders. with Campy 10 levers and Hubbub routing, and
    pick whatever you like for the other parts. 9spd cassettes and chains
    are relatively cheap and will be for quite awhile I think.

  20. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Sandy said:

    Dans le message de news:[email hidden],
    RonSonic <[email hidden]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :

    Quoted message said:
    BobT said:


    "John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 21:01:52 -0500, "BobT"
    > <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >
    >> Insignificant difference created for marketing purposes.
    >
    > Are you saying there is no value to a tenth cog other than the
    > manufacturers' ability to sell the thing?
    > --
    > JT
    > ****************************
    > Remove "remove" to reply
    > Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    > ****************************
    No, I'm not saying there is "no" value of a 10 speed cassette versus
    a 9 speed cassette . I'm just saying that the value to the rider is
    small and probably insignificant and is probably less important than
    the value to the manufacturer/retailer. Please note, I own a
    relatively new carbon-fiber, Shimano 10 speed bike. I too am
    susceptable to marketing hype but as I become more knowledgable, I'm
    becoming a retro grouch.

    Let's put it this way, 10 speed is NOT 11% better than 9.

    Besides, I'll always manage to find a gap in the gears and ride
    there, doesn't matter how many cogs we get.

    Ron

    Horses for courses, of course, of course.

    Drop-bar racing bikes, which are meant for fast road riding, whether in
    exercise or in racing, with 10 speed instead of 9 speed, are just a little
    bit nicer. With Campa being there for a while already, it's also easier to
    find needed parts, at least where I live. And there are many times I miss
    the 18 gear on my winter bike, which is 9V, but with the same top and
    bottom.

    But to go get bread or something like that, any bike will do. The household
    lunker will get me there and back, no gear changes at all. For leaf
    looking, it doesn't take a racing bike to glide along quiet roads, although
    I really am more at ease on my regular bikes.

    But people can be drawn to "racing" bikes from intimidation, wannabeishness,
    vanity, and lots of other traits (weaknesses?), and it's not a
    manufacturer's responsiblity to act as moral compass. Campy, for example,
    has not spent a lot of effort trying to capture the mass market, although
    they do make groups for entry level, so people can have a chance to try this
    style of transmission. Flat-bar bikes, using 9V or 10V may not be a perfect
    answer, but they do seem to make sense for a crossover riding experience.

    Just don't diabolize 9V or 10V for being the answer to everything. They
    aren't. They are directed to an enthusiastic, energetic riding class. If
    Campa is no longer making 9V, it's because they aren't targeting the wide
    cycling population. But again, for the hard-riding crowd, 10V is a pretty
    nice way to go. And I don't mean 5x2.

    It's true about that 18 cog. I ordered a
    13-14-15-16-17-18-19-21-23 nine speed, and mounted what was
    delivered without looking. Could not figure out that gap in my
    shifting for a while. Then I looked at the cassette and saw they
    delivered a 12-23 sans 18 cog. If I had ten speed I would have the
    12-23. As somebody said recently, I do not need a high count close
    geared cluster, but I have one anyway.

    I seldom shift the shopper bike.

    --
    Michael Press

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.