Building a trail

Micheal Artindale

Guest
In my area there is plenty of trails.

We have lots of "crown land", for those not in ontario, that is land owned
by the government, but is open for any public use.

Besides the paper work, which, i have gotten the proper information from the
proper authorities. How do you go about building a trail system for mountain
biking?

We have all 4 seasons here... a good summer, and winter, plus beautiful fall
and spring.

What season is the best to layout the route, and to actually build the
trail?

When i build it, i will be doing as little damage to the plands and trees. I
wont cut down any trees larger than 4 inches diamater. I wont put signs up
on trees, i will get scrap wood to put them on.

any suggestions?

Micheal

Micheal Artindale wrote:
> In my area there is plenty of trails.
>
> We have lots of "crown land", for those not in ontario, that is land
> owned by the government, but is open for any public use.
>
> Besides the paper work, which, i have gotten the proper information
> from the proper authorities. How do you go about building a trail
> system for mountain biking?
>
> We have all 4 seasons here... a good summer, and winter, plus
> beautiful fall and spring.
>
> What season is the best to layout the route, and to actually build the
> trail?
>
> When i build it, i will be doing as little damage to the plands and
> trees. I wont cut down any trees larger than 4 inches diamater. I
> wont put signs up on trees, i will get scrap wood to put them on.
>

> any suggestions?
>
> Micheal

IMBA has a new book out just about building trails, and lots of articles on
the web site

www.imba.com
http://stores.yahoo.com/imba/trsobo.html

RE/
>When i build it, i will be doing as little damage to the plands and trees. I
>wont cut down any trees larger than 4 inches diamater. I wont put signs up
>on trees, i will get scrap wood to put them on.
>

>any suggestions?

I'm no expert, but based on what I see when I ride here, I'd avoid making a
track that goes straight down/up a steep incline.
Reason: When it rains hard, water tends to gully same as it rushes down the
slope.
--
PeteCresswell

pas wrote:
> Micheal Artindale wrote:
>
>>In my area there is plenty of trails.
>>
>>We have lots of "crown land", for those not in ontario, that is land
>>owned by the government, but is open for any public use.
>>
>>Besides the paper work, which, i have gotten the proper information
>>from the proper authorities. How do you go about building a trail
>>system for mountain biking?
>>
>>We have all 4 seasons here... a good summer, and winter, plus
>>beautiful fall and spring.
>>
>>What season is the best to layout the route, and to actually build the
>>trail?
>>
>>When i build it, i will be doing as little damage to the plands and
>>trees. I wont cut down any trees larger than 4 inches diamater. I
>>wont put signs up on trees, i will get scrap wood to put them on.
>>

>>any suggestions?
>>
>>Micheal

> IMBA has a new book out just about building trails, and lots of articles on
> the web site
>

> www.imba.com
> http://stores.yahoo.com/imba/trsobo.html

IMHO, this is an incredible book. You should also contact IMBA directly
and request the Subaru trail care team to make a visit. They will help
you for free and give you the skills you'll need.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Usually there will be game trails that mimic good grades for riding. Try
not to re-use the game trails, tho - the original builders need a place to
travel, too.

Avoid switchbacks with visible trail sections ahead. People will take
vertical shortcuts, causing trail and rain erosion.

Check with the county or township authorities regarding liabilities. If
somebody starts using your trail and gets hurt, you don't want it to get
back at you.

"Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:cKo%[email protected]...
> In my area there is plenty of trails.
>
> We have lots of "crown land", for those not in ontario, that is land owned
> by the government, but is open for any public use.
>
> Besides the paper work, which, i have gotten the proper information from

the
> proper authorities. How do you go about building a trail system for

mountain
> biking?
>
> We have all 4 seasons here... a good summer, and winter, plus beautiful

fall
> and spring.
>
> What season is the best to layout the route, and to actually build the
> trail?
>
> When i build it, i will be doing as little damage to the plands and trees.

> wont cut down any trees larger than 4 inches diamater. I wont put signs up
> on trees, i will get scrap wood to put them on.
>

> any suggestions?
>
> Micheal
>

> IMHO, this is an incredible book. You should also contact IMBA
> directly and request the Subaru trail care team to make a visit. They will
> help you for free and give you the skills you'll need.

I third this. I was somewhat reluctant to have some stranger come in and
tell ME how I should build my trails but despite my best efforts I learned a
lot from them. Some of their trail guidelines are a bit "milktoast" so it
helps to get creative while following their basic principals.

Micheal Artindale wrote:
> In my area there is plenty of trails.
>
> We have lots of "crown land", for those not in ontario, that is land
> owned by the government, but is open for any public use.
>
> Besides the paper work, which, i have gotten the proper information
> from the proper authorities. How do you go about building a trail
> system for mountain biking?

The IMBA website has lots of information. There are articles on trail
building. Very interesting and good planning is essential.

http://www.imba.com/resources/trail_building/challenge_tips.html

http://www.imba.com/resources/trail_building/index.html

http://www.imba.com/resources/trail_building/ewok_trails.html

--
Westie
(Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

Micheal Artindale said:
In my area there is plenty of trails.

We have lots of "crown land", for those not in ontario, that is land owned
by the government, but is open for any public use.

Besides the paper work, which, i have gotten the proper information from the
proper authorities. How do you go about building a trail system for mountain
biking?

We have all 4 seasons here... a good summer, and winter, plus beautiful fall
and spring.

What season is the best to layout the route, and to actually build the
trail?

When i build it, i will be doing as little damage to the plands and trees. I
wont cut down any trees larger than 4 inches diamater. I wont put signs up
on trees, i will get scrap wood to put them on.

any suggestions?

Micheal

Here's something to look at:

http://www.pinkbike.com/stories/trailbuilding.htm

CDB

"Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:cKo%[email protected]...
> In my area there is plenty of trails.
>
> We have lots of "crown land", for those not in ontario, that is land owned
> by the government, but is open for any public use.
>
> Besides the paper work, which, i have gotten the proper information from

the
> proper authorities. How do you go about building a trail system for

mountain
> biking?
>
> We have all 4 seasons here... a good summer, and winter, plus beautiful

fall
> and spring.
>
> What season is the best to layout the route, and to actually build the
> trail?
>
> When i build it, i will be doing as little damage to the plands and trees.

> wont cut down any trees larger than 4 inches diamater. I wont put signs up
> on trees, i will get scrap wood to put them on.
>

> any suggestions?
>
> Micheal

If you have no experience/knowledge in trailbuilding, then don't build any
trails. Shouldn't be messing with the trails if you're not sure of what you
are doing. Try to enlist some help from experienced trailbuilders in your
area. Get a work crew together, the more people involved who have knowledge,
the less mistakes that will be made in the process.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 08:45:35 -0400, "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote:

.."Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
..news:cKo%[email protected]...
..> In my area there is plenty of trails.
..>
[...]
..
..If you have no experience/knowledge in trailbuilding, then don't build any
..trails.

Even if you DO have experience, don't build any trails! Trailbuilding destroys
wildlife habitat. DUH!
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

"Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Micheal Artindale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:cKo%[email protected]...
>> In my area there is plenty of trails.
>>
>> We have lots of "crown land", for those not in ontario, that is land
>> owned
>> by the government, but is open for any public use.
>>
>> Besides the paper work, which, i have gotten the proper information from

> the
>> proper authorities. How do you go about building a trail system for

> mountain
>> biking?
>>
>> We have all 4 seasons here... a good summer, and winter, plus beautiful

> fall
>> and spring.
>>
>> What season is the best to layout the route, and to actually build the
>> trail?
>>
>> When i build it, i will be doing as little damage to the plands and
>> trees.

>> wont cut down any trees larger than 4 inches diamater. I wont put signs
>> up
>> on trees, i will get scrap wood to put them on.
>>

>> any suggestions?
>>
>> Micheal

> If you have no experience/knowledge in trailbuilding, then don't build any
> trails. Shouldn't be messing with the trails if you're not sure of what
> you
> are doing. Try to enlist some help from experienced trailbuilders in your
> area. Get a work crew together, the more people involved who have
> knowledge,
> the less mistakes that will be made in the process.
>
> - CA-G
>
> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

I'm thinkin cows aren't too smart and they make very good singletrack.

I grew up in Sonoma and Mendocino Counties and in my youth spent many a day
on my Schwinn Varsity run up and down cow trails.

Dean A. Stepper wrote:
> I'm thinkin cows aren't too smart and they make very good singletrack.
>
> I grew up in Sonoma and Mendocino Counties and in my youth spent many
> a day on my Schwinn Varsity run up and down cow trails.

In my experience they make good trails but tend to booby-trap them with
extremely unpleasant little surprises.
Nothing like a good coating of something-else's **** up your **** and in
your face.
--
Westie
(Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

"Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dean A. Stepper wrote:
>> I'm thinkin cows aren't too smart and they make very good singletrack.
>>
>> I grew up in Sonoma and Mendocino Counties and in my youth spent many
>> a day on my Schwinn Varsity run up and down cow trails.

> In my experience they make good trails but tend to booby-trap them with
> extremely unpleasant little surprises.
> Nothing like a good coating of something-else's **** up your **** and in
> your face.

http://cruisetheblues.com/

Check out the pictures (near my home town). The pasture paths were blazed
and built by local cows (no kidding)!

Rick

Micheal Artindale said:
How do you go about building a trail system for mountain
biking?

any suggestions?

Micheal

Mark and Lora Schmidt have opened an IMBA office in Canada. You can contact them directly via email: [email protected]

They are Ontario natives and very familiar with trail building, as they are a former IMBA Trail Care Crew team.

Ontario is a rather big place, so I can't say whether they would be able to meet with you in person or not. They're located in Southern Ontario, basically West of Toronto off the 401.

If you touch base with them, tell them that Ken in Kansas City says hello.

The IMBA book is a valuable resource, but what you really need is a foundation how to approach trail building and design. With Mark and Lora to help guide you, you'll avoid mistakes that all trail builders and designer tend to make when they're first learning.

Hope this helps,

Ken