General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Burning down the sprouts

Started by Curly Sue · · Last activity · 27 posts · 905 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
3 March 2004
Last activity
5 March 2004
Original author
Curly Sue
Posts
27
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
905
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–27 of 27
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Curly Sue said:
    jmcquown said:
    Curly Sue said:

    I set the Brussels sprouts to finish sauteeing, but my TV program was starting and I forgot
    about them.

    Let me tell you, blackened Brussels sprouts STINK! Fortunately

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Don't you just love sprouts otherwise, though? I don't understand people who hate them. Gosh, they
    are tasty! Except, there's always that *one* nasty sprout that just tastes bitter... (sigh)

    Jill

    Tasty and so cute!

    I just noticed a couple of weeks ago that my local store carries fresh Brussels sprouts and have
    been picking them up.

    I think some people are adverse to a flavor component of the cruciferae
    (sprouts/cabbage/cauliflower) and some just never let themselves develop a taste for them. I've
    also noticed that the frozen ones vary a lot in bitterness/woodiness within the package. The fresh
    ones seem more uniform.

    Frozen Brussels sprouts are just evil --- the smell alone is enough to gag
    me. I couldn't stand to be around cooked Brussels sprouts until I had my first fresh ones, just a
    few years ago. They've become one of my favorite vegetables.

    I like to cut them in half and steam them, then briefly saute them in butter, just enough to get a
    little color on the cut side, and hit them with freshly grated nutmeg.

    ---jkb

    --
    "Damn you, brocolli!"

    -- Stewie Griffin

  2. "Katra" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...
    : In article <[email hidden]>, "jmcquown"
    : <[email hidden]> wrote:
    :
    : > Katra wrote:
    : > > In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] (Curly Sue)
    : > > wrote:
    : > >
    : > >> I set the Brussels sprouts to finish sauteeing, but my TV
    program was
    : > >> starting and I forgot about them.
    : > >>
    : > >> Let me tell you, blackened Brussels sprouts STINK!
    Fortunately
    : > >> tonight is garbage eve so the physical evidence will be
    gone by
    : > >> tomorrow morning.
    : > >>
    : > >> I fear, however, that the smell will linger for days. I
    guess I'll
    : > >> try burning a scented candle.
    : > >>
    : > >> Sue(tm) Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!
    : > >
    : > > Incense... Lots of it. ;-) Gonesh ancient times, or some good Nag Champa if you can find it...
    : > > ;-) Works great on ciggy smoke in the car too.
    : > >
    : > > K.
    : > >
    : > You burn incense in the car? Stick or cone?
    : >
    : > Jill
    : >
    : >
    :
    : Stick. It's safer.
    :
    : If I need to deoderize the car, (which happens sometime if some
    scumbag
    : at the repair shop smoked in my car!), I use a stick holder for
    safety
    : and place 2 or 3 sticks in it, light them and place it on the
    dashboard
    : with all the windows close...
    :
    : Leave it while you are NOT in there of course!
    :
    : The incense smell absorbs nicely into the headliner and seats.
    :
    : It works. :-)
    :
    : Works nice for mildewy smells too if you left the window open
    during a
    : rain.
    :
    : K.
    =======

    Huh. I used to burn cones in mine... ahhh, the memories. I had a '66 Volvo. I burned the cones in
    the ash tray. It was metal... and it was suppose to house hot ashes... <scratches
    head>... I hadn't thought about burning incense in the car for
    a while... Oh yeah, I don't smoke anymore! <snort>
    --
    Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Barry Grau) said:

    Katra <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<KatraMungBean-
    [email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] (Curly Sue)

    Quoted message said:

    I set the Brussels sprouts to finish sauteeing, but my TV program was starting and I forgot
    about them.

    Let me tell you, blackened Brussels sprouts STINK! Fortunately tonight is garbage eve so the
    physical evidence will be gone by tomorrow morning.

    I fear, however, that the smell will linger for days. I guess I'll try burning a scented
    candle.

    Sue(tm) Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

    Incense... Lots of it. ;-) Gonesh ancient times, or some good Nag Champa if you can find it...
    ;-) Works great on ciggy smoke in the car too.

    K.

    Ozium.

    -bwg

    Not heard of that flavor/brand. Please elaborate?

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    Quoted message said:

    ,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<


    cgi6.ebay.comeBayISAPI.dll

  4. "Naomi Darvell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    x-no-archive: yes

    Am I the only one who has violent sneezing attacks from incense?

    After kitchen disasters-- actually, after most cooking-- I like to spray


    with a

    Quoted message said:

    product called Smells Be Gone and light a scented candle. Kitchen candles


    from

    Quoted message said:

    Williams and Sonoma are good, if pricey. You need a scent like rosemary or lemon, IMO, nothing too
    flowery. Naomi D.

    I can't be around incense either. Sneezing, itchy eyes, the works. That's why I mentioned the
    Oust...it doesn't affect my allergies at all. Candles, on the other hand, do the same as the incense
    unfortunately 🙁 I had a brief affair of the heart with the red apple, juicy pear, and cucumber
    melon scented candles but they send my allergies into hypermode.

    kimberly

  5. Katra <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] (Barry

    Grau) said:


    Ozium.

    -bwg

    Not heard of that flavor/brand. Please elaborate?

    It's a strong aerosol room deodorizer often sold in head shops.

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Barry Grau) said:

    Katra <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<KatraMungBean-
    [email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] (Barry Grau)

    Quoted message said:


    Ozium.

    -bwg

    Not heard of that flavor/brand. Please elaborate?

    It's a strong aerosol room deodorizer often sold in head shops.

    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

    K.

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    Quoted message said:

    ,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<


    cgi6.ebay.comeBayISAPI.dll

  7. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Katra <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<KatraMungBean-
    [email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] (Barry Grau)

    Quoted message said:


    Ozium.

    -bwg

    Not heard of that flavor/brand. Please elaborate?

    It's a strong aerosol room deodorizer often sold in head shops.


    It's also sold in Walgreen's.
    --
    Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist hopes they are.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.