General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

BUSTED - shin stress fracture

Started by Scott Williams · · Last activity · 11 posts · 2,839 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
27 January 2004
Last activity
30 January 2004
Original author
Scott Williams
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,839
Views / 30 days
18

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Well, yesterday's test run went not well at all. I felt residual shin soreness at the time, and this
    morning, my right shin was quite sore.

    So, I bit the bullet and got an appointment to see the sports doc. She ordered an x-ray and the
    stress fracture was plainly visible, just a little bump on the bone, but it packs a nice punch.

    I have permission to do a gentle test-run 3-4 weeks out and see how it feels. Until then, it's
    riding the bike on the rollers and lifting weights. Whoooo hooooo.

    On glimmer of sunlight in this sad (and boring) saga is that I got referred to PT at the running
    clinic, where they can look at my form and mechanics and offer me some advice about these chronic
    shin splints. That should be interesting.

    So now, I go into rehab hibernation.

    Ciao.

    Scott

  2. Scott Williams said:


    On glimmer of sunlight in this sad (and boring) saga is that I got referred to PT at the running
    clinic, where they can look at my form and mechanics and offer me some advice about these chronic
    shin splints. That should be interesting.

    That's a bummer about your shins, but having a PT doing a gait analysis and perhaps some other
    standard analyses could turn out to be very helpful in the long term - both in terms of identifying
    issues as well as getting exercises to remedy them. Good luck.

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people" -Bernd Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

  3. Dot said:
    Scott Williams said:


    On glimmer of sunlight in this sad (and boring) saga is that I got referred to PT at the running
    clinic, where they can look at my form and mechanics and offer me some advice about these chronic
    shin splints. That should be interesting.

    That's a bummer about your shins, but having a PT doing a gait analysis and perhaps some other
    standard analyses could turn out to be very helpful in the long term - both in terms of
    identifying issues as well as getting exercises to remedy them. Good luck.

    Dot

    Thanks, Dot.

    Yeah, my doc mentioned that, in her experience, it's a problem very much related to high arches,
    which I have in spades.

    I'll report on what all they do up there and what info they pass along.

    Scott

  4. Scott Williams said:

    Well, yesterday's test run went not well at all. I felt residual shin soreness at the time, and
    this morning, my right shin was quite sore.

    So, I bit the bullet and got an appointment to see the sports doc. She ordered an x-ray and the
    stress fracture was plainly visible, just a little bump on the bone, but it packs a nice punch.

    I have permission to do a gentle test-run 3-4 weeks out and see how it feels. Until then, it's
    riding the bike on the rollers and lifting weights. Whoooo hooooo.

    On glimmer of sunlight in this sad (and boring) saga is that I got referred to PT at the running
    clinic, where they can look at my form and mechanics and offer me some advice about these chronic
    shin splints. That should be interesting.

    So now, I go into rehab hibernation.

    Ciao.

    Scott

    From my experience, you're lucky, Scott. I had a stress fracture in 2001 (tibia, just beneath my
    right knee) that knocked me out for 10 weeks. Couldn't even walk without great pain for 6-7 weeks.
    But it was summer and I could swim and bike outdoors. Good luck.

    Robert

  5. Robert Karp said:
    Scott Williams said:

    Well, yesterday's test run went not well at all. I felt residual shin soreness at the time, and
    this morning, my right shin was quite sore.

    So, I bit the bullet and got an appointment to see the sports doc. She ordered an x-ray and the
    stress fracture was plainly visible, just a little bump on the bone, but it packs a nice punch.

    I have permission to do a gentle test-run 3-4 weeks out and see how it feels. Until then, it's
    riding the bike on the rollers and lifting weights. Whoooo hooooo.

    On glimmer of sunlight in this sad (and boring) saga is that I got referred to PT at the running
    clinic, where they can look at my form and mechanics and offer me some advice about these chronic
    shin splints. That should be interesting.

    So now, I go into rehab hibernation.

    Ciao.

    Scott

    From my experience, you're lucky, Scott. I had a stress fracture in 2001 (tibia, just beneath my
    right knee) that knocked me out for 10 weeks. Couldn't even walk without great pain for 6-7 weeks.
    But it was summer and I could swim and bike outdoors. Good luck.

    Robert

    Youch. That's awful. My doc wouldn't give me a definite healing time -- she said there was a
    tremendous amount of variability. (Mine is a third of the way down the tibia on the medial side.)

    So, was all well and good after that episode, or are splints something you still must deal with
    occasionally?

    Scott

  6. Scott Williams said:
    Robert Karp said:
    Scott Williams said:

    Well, yesterday's test run went not well at all. I felt residual shin soreness at the time, and
    this morning, my right shin was quite sore.

    So, I bit the bullet and got an appointment to see the sports doc. She ordered an x-ray and the
    stress fracture was plainly visible, just a little bump on the bone, but it packs a nice punch.

    I have permission to do a gentle test-run 3-4 weeks out and see how it feels. Until then, it's
    riding the bike on the rollers and lifting weights. Whoooo hooooo.

    On glimmer of sunlight in this sad (and boring) saga is that I got referred to PT at the running
    clinic, where they can look at my form and mechanics and offer me some advice about these
    chronic shin splints. That should be interesting.

    So now, I go into rehab hibernation.

    Ciao.

    Scott

    From my experience, you're lucky, Scott. I had a stress fracture in 2001 (tibia, just beneath my
    right knee) that knocked me out for 10 weeks. Couldn't even walk without great pain for 6-7
    weeks. But it was summer and I could swim and bike outdoors. Good luck.

    Robert

    Youch. That's awful. My doc wouldn't give me a definite healing time -- she said there was a
    tremendous amount of variability. (Mine is a third of the way down the tibia on the medial side.)

    So, was all well and good after that episode, or are splints something you still must deal with
    occasionally?

    I've had stress fracture problems for years, and I think I've finally learned to deal with them. I
    do lots of running on dirt paths and avoid concrete at all possible. I do hills or bleachers instead
    of sprints for speed workouts. I use an exercise bike or elliptical trainer 1-2 days a week instead
    of running. And most importantly, I put myself on the shelf for a week or so if I feel ANY
    discomfort in my shin.

    But somehow, I keep getting faster every year.

  7. wow a whole week and 2 thank I took this [censored] for years. mild stroke on left side.I jest can't re
    memb when happen. been so long now with out a job. smokes beer and strest, YAH everything my f ing
    fault. sorry,,,, going to store soon for butter forRICE......... Lowtuc. oh yes go to Hell
    Michigan insane terane. 1 week, gee no wonder this nws guy who I still hate who got t be at every
    talk game on
    t.v. con grads Detroit Piston.. doing great... must be a Ba ston way of do Tom to get back to 1st
    place.Coach still not a cent from anyone in espn or billion buck buzz. here. Thanks mom for
    rice...... I quit work. I would quit to.. I am have ing a hard time relate ing to gays in the
    first church of amer e can diplot mat ic. leadership. news doc thing on nbc here. [censored] I at
    least x spect davy crock it would. welll sorry I said [censored] and crock...... Get f ing real you
    losers..... Oh yes all his is bruught to you by. Mobil, tele, unbrellys, and bugger king. Not
    re spon 4 things said or re flect any and al rr and real world non Leaders. WTF...... must has
    some thing to do with left side mild stroke. e noft. you went to war, you kick ass, its over.
    [censored] were my ba nan a dac er rey. leaders my asss. oh yes wer was I... one week. [censored].

  8. Scott Williams said:

    Well, yesterday's test run went not well at all. I felt residual shin soreness at the time, and
    this morning, my right shin was quite sore.

    Quoted message said:

    So, I bit the bullet and got an appointment to see the sports doc. She ordered an x-ray and the
    stress fracture was plainly visible, just a little bump on the bone, but it packs a nice punch.

    Quoted message said:

    I have permission to do a gentle test-run 3-4 weeks out and see how it feels. Until then, it's
    riding the bike on the rollers and lifting weights. Whoooo hooooo.

    Quoted message said:

    On glimmer of sunlight in this sad (and boring) saga is that I got referred to PT at the running
    clinic, where they can look at my form and mechanics and offer me some advice about these chronic
    shin splints. That should be interesting.

    Quoted message said:

    So now, I go into rehab hibernation.

    Quoted message said:

    Ciao.

    Quoted message said:

    Scott

    Good luck healing Scott...don't screw around with a stress fracture. MAKE SURE it is healed before
    you resume running. Cross train the hell out of yourself if you want, but stress fractures can
    linger a long time if they aren't completely gone. Andy Hass

  9. Quoted message said:

    Good luck healing Scott...don't screw around with a stress fracture. MAKE SURE it is healed before
    you resume running. Cross train the hell out of yourself if you want, but stress fractures can
    linger a long time if they aren't completely gone. Andy Hass

    Thanks, Andy. I'm taking out my frustrations on my bicycle, riding the rollers near AT for an hour
    every morning before work. I sure as hell don't want to balloon up so I can pound my shins harder
    next time around.

    Consider the advice taken. I've had my fill of running on a stress fracture. Dexter-A2 is already
    down the clapper -- I'm not running it again without training properly, so I'm in no hurry.
    Impatience got me where I am today ...

    Have you heard anything good or bad about the running clinic at MedSport?

    Scott

  10. Glenn Tanner said:
    Scott Williams said:
    Robert Karp said:

    Scott Williams <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > Well, yesterday's test run went not well at all. I felt residual shin soreness at the time, and
    > this morning, my right shin was quite sore.
    >
    > So, I bit the bullet and got an appointment to see the sports doc. She ordered an x-ray and the
    > stress fracture was plainly visible, just a little bump on the bone, but it packs a nice punch.
    >
    > I have permission to do a gentle test-run 3-4 weeks out and see how it feels. Until then, it's
    > riding the bike on the rollers and lifting weights. Whoooo hooooo.
    >
    > On glimmer of sunlight in this sad (and boring) saga is that I got referred to PT at the
    > running clinic, where they can look at my form and mechanics and offer me some advice about
    > these chronic shin splints. That should be interesting.
    >
    > So now, I go into rehab hibernation.
    >
    > Ciao.
    >
    > Scott

    From my experience, you're lucky, Scott. I had a stress fracture in 2001 (tibia, just beneath my
    right knee) that knocked me out for 10 weeks. Couldn't even walk without great pain for 6-7
    weeks. But it was summer and I could swim and bike outdoors. Good luck.

    Robert

    Youch. That's awful. My doc wouldn't give me a definite healing time -- she said there was a
    tremendous amount of variability. (Mine is a third of the way down the tibia on the medial side.)

    So, was all well and good after that episode, or are splints something you still must deal with
    occasionally?

    I've had stress fracture problems for years, and I think I've finally learned to deal with them. I
    do lots of running on dirt paths and avoid concrete at all possible. I do hills or bleachers
    instead of sprints for speed workouts. I use an exercise bike or elliptical trainer 1-2 days a
    week instead of running. And most importantly, I put myself on the shelf for a week or so if I
    feel ANY discomfort in my shin.

    But somehow, I keep getting faster every year.

    I've been encountering my shin trouble pretty much when I quit combining cycling with my running and
    tried to ramp up my running mileage. I may well follow a similar program to yours. I might need that
    extra bit of recovery.

    Thanks for the input.

    Scott

  11. Scott Williams said:
    Quoted message said:

    Good luck healing Scott...don't screw around with a stress fracture. MAKE SURE it is healed
    before you resume running. Cross train the hell out of yourself if you want, but stress fractures
    can linger a long time if they aren't completely gone. Andy Hass

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks, Andy. I'm taking out my frustrations on my bicycle, riding the rollers near AT for an hour
    every morning before work. I sure as hell don't want to balloon up so I can pound my shins harder
    next time around.

    Quoted message said:

    Consider the advice taken. I've had my fill of running on a stress fracture. Dexter-A2 is already
    down the clapper -- I'm not running it again without training properly, so I'm in no hurry.
    Impatience got me where I am today ...

    Quoted message said:

    Have you heard anything good or bad about the running clinic at MedSport?

    Quoted message said:

    Scott

    --I'm not sure. The Umich team might use some of the people there, the key is knowing exactly who is
    good and who is bad. That I can't help you with, I haven't needed them yet (knock on wood). Maybe
    ask around the AA track club or something for who is good? Andy Hass

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.