Butt What Now

W

Wendy

Is it possible to have a hamstring or piriformis injury, that does not hurt when walking on it, and
does not feel at all tender if I rub/massage it. It hurts to stretch, though, and immediately after
(not during) repetitive motion like bicycling and running. It hurts to sit on it after a few
minutes, too. Pain is always isolated in a single buttock. Walking provides instant relief.

It also doesn't hurt if I use weight machines that isolate those specific muscles.

Doctor dx hamstring or piriformis problem, and told me to stretch it - but I'd been stretching it
compulsively already (and using the tennis ball under the leg technique) and I'm starting to think
that the stretching is making it worse. It doesn't feel like a usual muscle stretch - it's a really
sharp, burning sort of thing.

I hate to doubt the doc, but I'm just not sure his dx fits my clinical picture.

Does it?

*sigh* ... back to swimming.

\x/endy

Originally posted by Wendy
Is it possible to have a hamstring or piriformis injury, that does not hurt when walking on it, and
does not feel at all tender if I rub/massage it. It hurts to stretch, though, and immediately after
(not during) repetitive motion like bicycling and running. It hurts to sit on it after a few
minutes, too. Pain is always isolated in a single buttock. Walking provides instant relief.

It also doesn't hurt if I use weight machines that isolate those specific muscles.

Doctor dx hamstring or piriformis problem, and told me to stretch it - but I'd been stretching it
compulsively already (and using the tennis ball under the leg technique) and I'm starting to think
that the stretching is making it worse. It doesn't feel like a usual muscle stretch - it's a really
sharp, burning sort of thing.

I hate to doubt the doc, but I'm just not sure his dx fits my clinical picture.

Does it?

*sigh* ... back to swimming.

\x/endy

How appropriate that I came upon this thread 1 year to the date. I've got this exact problem, had it for a year now. Tried massage, chiro, physical Therapist, yoga, ART,
weights, long slow easy workouts, and it won't go away.

I think it came on during winter road racing at a pace that I wasn't physiologically ready for.

Wendy, did you get it resolved, or are you still living with this pain in the butt?

Mike