Butter squash and butternut squash?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Jan 24, 2006.

  1. Hi group,

    I was hoping that I could get an answer to a question. I tried various
    Google searches and read many webpages about squash, but I haven't been
    able to determine if butter squash and butternut squash are the same
    thing. I know butternut squash is also called pumpkin squash...that's
    the only thing I know for sure.

    Thanks,
    Christine

    Tags:

  2. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi group,
    >
    > I was hoping that I could get an answer to a question. I tried various
    > Google searches and read many webpages about squash, but I haven't been
    > able to determine if butter squash and butternut squash are the same
    > thing. I know butternut squash is also called pumpkin squash...that's
    > the only thing I know for sure.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Christine

    "Butter" is a word used perhaps more than any other when hybridizers choose
    names for squash. The squash family cross-pollinates in bizarre ways,
    producing lots of unexpected results, so you can expect to see more butter
    nonsense pretty much forever. Here are some examples:

    http://www.burpee.com/shopping/sear...1&keyword=butter+squash&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

  3. aem

    aem Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Hi group,
    >
    > I was hoping that I could get an answer to a question. I tried various
    > Google searches and read many webpages about squash, but I haven't been
    > able to determine if butter squash and butternut squash are the same
    > thing. I know butternut squash is also called pumpkin squash...that's
    > the only thing I know for sure.

    I don't know of any squash called simply "butter" squash. I'd tend to
    think that's a recipe name, probably for summer squash(es). Butternut
    squash is a specific kind of winter, hard-shelled squash, which belongs
    to the same botanical family as the pumpkin and the cucumber. -aem

  4. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi group,
    >
    > I was hoping that I could get an answer to a question. I tried various
    > Google searches and read many webpages about squash, but I haven't been
    > able to determine if butter squash and butternut squash are the same
    > thing. I know butternut squash is also called pumpkin squash...that's
    > the only thing I know for sure.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Christine

    You are lost in the morass of international naming confusion. There is no
    certain escape unless you can show a picture and get the parties involved to
    all say what they call that thing. No, on second thought even that is not
    certain to work

    For instance here (Australia) we have hard rind curcurbits that keep well
    that are called pumpkins, butternut is a variety of those which is about a
    foot long and half that thick, thinner at the top possibly with a slight
    bend. Pumpkins are picked when mature and the flesh is generally firm and
    starchy, and some shade of yellow or orange. Elsewhere this might be called
    a winter squash, despite the fact that they grow in the summer.

    I also have a smaller, flat, radially symetric, soft rind curcurbit that
    doesn't keep so well and it is picked immature. It's flesh is soft, moist,
    not starchy and fairly translucent pale green. Here that is called a button
    squash and the variety with a bright yellow skin can be called a butter
    squash - much like yellow beans can be called butter beans although they
    taste the same as green ones. Over the briny that might be called a summer
    squash or (I think) a pattypan. It does in fact grow in summer.

    Scientific names don't help much with many vegetables as most people don't
    know them and there may be many cultivated varieties of the same species
    that look quite different and different species that look similar.

    Ain't language fun?

    David

  5. sf

    sf Guest

    On 24 Jan 2006 11:42:05 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

    > Hi group,
    >
    > I was hoping that I could get an answer to a question. I tried various
    > Google searches and read many webpages about squash, but I haven't been
    > able to determine if butter squash and butternut squash are the same
    > thing. I know butternut squash is also called pumpkin squash...that's
    > the only thing I know for sure.

    I've never heard it, so the only thing I could do is a google image
    search which brings up pictures of butternut using "butter squash" as
    the search term.

  6. > "Butter" is a word used perhaps more than any other when hybridizers choose
    > names for squash. The squash family cross-pollinates in bizarre ways,
    > producing lots of unexpected results, so you can expect to see more butter
    > nonsense pretty much forever. Here are some examples:
    >
    > http://www.burpee.com/shopping/sear...1&keyword=butter+squash&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

    Thanks for the link Doug! It was very informative. I thought my
    question was fairly simple, but I guess not :-D LOL. I think what I'm
    looking for is a butternut squash, and that butter squash might have
    just been a typo or local usage.

    Best,
    Christine

  7. Thanks aem. I think after reading the responses here and Googling a
    little more, butter squash might have just been a typo or local usage.

    Best,
    Christine

  8. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >> "Butter" is a word used perhaps more than any other when hybridizers
    >> choose
    >> names for squash. The squash family cross-pollinates in bizarre ways,
    >> producing lots of unexpected results, so you can expect to see more
    >> butter
    >> nonsense pretty much forever. Here are some examples:
    >>
    >> http://www.burpee.com/shopping/sear...1&keyword=butter+squash&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

    > Thanks for the link Doug! It was very informative. I thought my
    > question was fairly simple, but I guess not :-D LOL. I think what I'm
    > looking for is a butternut squash, and that butter squash might have
    > just been a typo or local usage.
    >
    > Best,
    > Christine

    Other winter squashes can be substituted in most recipes (Hubbard, Acorn),
    in case you can't find Butternut at your store.

  9. Hi David,

    LOL, indeed language is fun! I work for an image company and often have
    to identify places, plants and animals. Just trying to figure out what
    some of these things are called is very confusing. Sometimes the
    captions are wrong, or not there at all, and a typo can really throw a
    wrench into the works. I am thinking now that what is being asked for
    in a recipe is a butternut squash and that the "butter squash" usage
    must be regional. Thanks for the bit of insight from your part of the
    world. I had to Google "curcurbits" and came up with a wealth of photos
    - one truly does learn something new every day :)

    Best,
    Christine

  10. Gabby

    Gabby Guest

    "aem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >> Hi group,
    >>
    >> I was hoping that I could get an answer to a question. I tried various
    >> Google searches and read many webpages about squash, but I haven't been
    >> able to determine if butter squash and butternut squash are the same
    >> thing. I know butternut squash is also called pumpkin squash...that's
    >> the only thing I know for sure.

    > I don't know of any squash called simply "butter" squash. I'd tend to
    > think that's a recipe name, probably for summer squash(es). Butternut
    > squash is a specific kind of winter, hard-shelled squash, which belongs
    > to the same botanical family as the pumpkin and the cucumber. -aem

    Not to forget that other winter squash, the buttercup.

    Gabby

  11. Thanks for the tip Doug! I'll be buying my squash tomorrow for Sunday's
    dinner. I have never glanced too much at squash before, so hopefully
    they will have something.

  12. Thanks for the tip Doug! I'll be buying my squash tomorrow for Sunday's
    dinner. I have never glanced too much at squash before, so hopefully
    they will have something.

  13. Thanks SF, that was a good suggestion. Now I have an idea of what to
    look for. Hopefully the grocer is knowledgeable :)

  14. Thanks SF, that was a good suggestion. Now I have an idea of what to
    look for. Hopefully the grocer is knowledgeable :)