Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Buy or build

Started by Brian Tkatch · · Last activity · 30 posts · 884 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
27 June 2006
Last activity
10 July 2006
Original author
Brian Tkatch
Posts
30
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
884
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–30 of 30
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    (Hmmm . . . Jobst has been politely asking me via email to please use
    tinyURL for the long addresses I fling about in other posts because
    some posters have to copy and paste four lines together just to see
    what nonsense I'm talking about. So I'll try to tinyURL long addresses
    as penance. I'll start right now . . . Oops, Sheldon's site may have
    background logos, but it has nothing but short, sensible URL's.)

    I prefer the long version.

    * I want to see the URL the writer cites.
    * With this news reader I click on the URL and focus
    changes to my web browser and it attempt to load the page.
    * I really do not like the idea of an intermediary in this
    transaction.

    So please continue to provide the original expanded URL.

    --
    Michael Press

  2. Quoted message said:

    On 30 Jun 2006 05:58:07 -0700, "Brian Tkatch"
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    [snip]

    Quoted message said:

    One thing about that Sheldon Brown site, however, is that the
    background many times makes the text difficult for me to read. Well, i
    just highlight it to read it, so it's ok.

    B.

    Dear Brian,

    Some day, web-page designers will look at a book or word processor
    screen and notice the advantages of a blank background.

    Until then, we have to deal with the fuzz and clutter of
    something-or-other logos that make it hard to read what we're
    interested in.

    It's unlikely that anyone would guess what the logo is on this page
    unless they scrolled down to the explanation:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/

    Of course, a clearer design on the background logo would only make the
    text even harder to read.

    To be fair, the background isn't that bad, but your comment reminds me
    just how low my standards have sunk. Like the apocryphal frog in the
    pot on the stove that fails to notice the water temperature slowly
    rising, I've gotten used to web-page backgrounds that make it hard to
    read their own text.

    Switch back and forth from the link above with its endless logo
    background to this one with its plain desert yellow for a good
    comparison:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/home.html

    Much easier to read.

    Or look at this large new section:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/

    No wallpaper pattern of bicycle wheels, just a blank khaki background.

    (There! I've vented my spleen and lashed out with unprovoked fury at
    Sheldon Brown! That'll teach him to provide an enormous free resource
    of wonderful bicycling stuff for the likes of me to enjoy! I should
    have worked in something about burning the Harris site to the ground
    to get rid of that logo, but probably someone would fail to read
    Sheldon's explanation of the logo and take me seriously.)

    (Now I'm filled with remorse. What can I do to make up for savaging
    Sheldon's innocent logo? I could hit the delete button and not send
    this post . . . Fat chance.)

    (Hmmm . . . Jobst has been politely asking me via email to please use
    tinyURL for the long addresses I fling about in other posts because
    some posters have to copy and paste four lines together just to see
    what nonsense I'm talking about. So I'll try to tinyURL long addresses
    as penance. I'll start right now . . . Oops, Sheldon's site may have
    background logos, but it has nothing but short, sensible URL's.)

    Carl Fogel

    Thanx for the reply. 🙂

    I also don't mean to complain about the free resource. Well, actually i
    do, it does bother me. But i don't mean for the complaint to cause any
    negativity for the (gracious) provider, just to vent some frustrations,
    however slight, as they are worse to bottle up, and perhaps, even the
    provider would accept it as constructive criticism, and be thankful for
    the honest comment.

    B.

  3. Michael Press said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    (Hmmm . . . Jobst has been politely asking me via email to please use
    tinyURL for the long addresses I fling about in other posts because
    some posters have to copy and paste four lines together just to see
    what nonsense I'm talking about. So I'll try to tinyURL long addresses
    as penance. I'll start right now . . . Oops, Sheldon's site may have
    background logos, but it has nothing but short, sensible URL's.)

    I prefer the long version.

    * I want to see the URL the writer cites.
    * With this news reader I click on the URL and focus
    changes to my web browser and it attempt to load the page.
    * I really do not like the idea of an intermediary in this
    transaction.

    So please continue to provide the original expanded URL.

    --
    Michael Press

    Personally, i prefer seeing both. The "real" URL, so as i have control,
    and a short one too, should i want the convenience.

    B.

  4. Quoted message said:
    David Damerell said:

    Quoting Brian Tkatch <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    One thing about that Sheldon Brown site, however, is that the
    background many times makes the text difficult for me to read. Well, i
    just highlight it to read it, so it's ok.

    Better Web browsers allow you to suppress most Web design.

    Dear David and Brian,

    Ha! I just noticed my note to look into this.

    In Internet Explorer, click on tools, internet options, general,
    accessibility. Then check the "ignore colors" box. Sheldon's logo
    background is ruthlessly censored:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/index.html

    In Mozilla Firefox, click on tools, options, content, and colors.
    Then uncheck the "allow pages to choose their own colors" box, refresh
    the page, and Sheldon's page reappears with its background as pure as
    the driven snow.

    Cheers,

    Carl Fogel

    Wow, thanx for that.

    In Mozilla, i just found it under Edit\Options which brings up a
    screen, then Appearence\Colors which has section labeled "When a web
    page provides its own colors and background" where the second option
    ignores the page.

    Now its much easier to read! Unfortunately, other pages are ugly 🙂

    B.

  5. Quoth "Brian Tkatch"

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    One thing about that Sheldon Brown site, however, is that the
    background many times makes the text difficult for me to read. Well, i
    just highlight it to read it, so it's ok.


    and Carl Fogel:

    Quoted message said:


    Some day, web-page designers will look at a book or word processor
    screen and notice the advantages of a blank background.

    Until then, we have to deal with the fuzz and clutter of
    something-or-other logos that make it hard to read what we're
    interested in.

    Hey, it seemed like aa pretty cool option back in 1995 when I did it!

    Anyhoo, I've revised the graphics, though with a bit of reluctance
    because some of the older photos were designed with a background
    designed to blend into the beige page background.

    I've uploaded everything at the top (sheldonbrown.com) level and the
    sheldonbrown.com/harris (harriscyclery.com) level but some of the files
    at lower levels will not have been uploaded yet, despite my having done
    a global search/replace on my local copy.

    Unfortunately my FTP software (Transmit) doesn't show dates for changes
    in files below the level being displayed, so I always wind up missing a
    few subdirectores whenever I do a major revision.

    Sheldon "Aims To Please" Brown
    +-------------------------------------------+
    | Ah, but I was so much older then, |
    | I'm younger than that now. |
    | -Bob Dylan |
    +-------------------------------------------+
    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  6. if one does not build
    one does not know
    the pleasure of the side pull brake
    for exampull

  7. Sheldon Brown said:

    Quoth "Brian Tkatch"

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    One thing about that Sheldon Brown site, however, is that the
    background many times makes the text difficult for me to read. Well, i
    just highlight it to read it, so it's ok.


    and Carl Fogel:

    Quoted message said:


    Some day, web-page designers will look at a book or word processor
    screen and notice the advantages of a blank background.

    Until then, we have to deal with the fuzz and clutter of
    something-or-other logos that make it hard to read what we're
    interested in.

    Hey, it seemed like aa pretty cool option back in 1995 when I did it!

    Anyhoo, I've revised the graphics, though with a bit of reluctance
    because some of the older photos were designed with a background
    designed to blend into the beige page background.

    I've uploaded everything at the top (sheldonbrown.com) level and the
    sheldonbrown.com/harris (harriscyclery.com) level but some of the files
    at lower levels will not have been uploaded yet, despite my having done
    a global search/replace on my local copy.

    Unfortunately my FTP software (Transmit) doesn't show dates for changes
    in files below the level being displayed, so I always wind up missing a
    few subdirectores whenever I do a major revision.

    Sheldon "Aims To Please" Brown
    +-------------------------------------------+
    | Ah, but I was so much older then, |
    | I'm younger than that now. |
    | -Bob Dylan |
    +-------------------------------------------+
    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

    Wow. Thanx for the change. 🙂

    I'm still reading the site, slowly but surely. Just read about
    front-brake braking, and as is expected, scares me almost too much to
    try it, but i'll try the methods mentioned as to watch the lift on the
    back wheel.

    B.

  8. In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    Brian Tkatch said:

    I'm still reading the site, slowly but surely. Just read about
    front-brake braking, and as is expected, scares me almost too much to
    try it, but i'll try the methods mentioned as to watch the lift on the
    back wheel.

    Practice at low speed in safe conditions such as parking
    lots and quiet neighborhoods. Learn the limits of your
    system.

    --
    Michael Press

  9. Brian Tkatch said:

    One thing about that Sheldon Brown site, however, is that the
    background many times makes the text difficult for me to read. Well, i
    just highlight it to read it, so it's ok.

    Try a little javascript with that:

    http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/zap.html

    --

    John ([email hidden])

  10. John Thompson said:
    Brian Tkatch said:

    One thing about that Sheldon Brown site, however, is that the
    background many times makes the text difficult for me to read. Well, i
    just highlight it to read it, so it's ok.

    Try a little javascript with that:

    http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/zap.html

    --

    John ([email hidden])

    Good site.

    Thanx!

    B.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.