Road Cycling · Public discussion

Buying A Bike - Inquiry

Started by James Lynx · · Last activity · 6 posts · 601 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
7 May 2004
Last activity
14 May 2004
Original author
James Lynx
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
601
Views / 30 days
3

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I need to get a bike. Here is the story. I'm 36 years old and
    haven't ridden bike on a regular basis since 1984. I used to ride a
    Team Mongoose BMX. Good bike.I started driving so no need to ride.
    Wish I never stopped. I was lean and fit while ridding the bike.
    Even a few years after I stopped I still was lean but over the years
    the more inactive I got the more weight I put on. I want to start
    riding again but don't know which kinda bike to buy.

    I love BMX, they look great but I'm too tall for those now 
    I won't spend a lot of money because I'm just cruising on the streets.
    I hear people say don't buy these bikes sold at Costco and the like
    because they are not high quality but I tell you those Costco bikes
    are probably higher quality than the BMX I used to ride and that was a
    good bike too. I just want to ride on the street. Nothing serious
    nothing intense just exercise.

    What do I look for in a bike? Suspension frame? Hard tail frame?
    What height? When they list the wheel height in terms of 21 or 26 inch
    or whatever how is that in relation to the frame and what height of
    the bike and relation to my height of six feet tall? Is it the frame
    or the wheel height that's the most importance?

    Please advise and thanks in advance.

    Thanks,

    James

  2. "James Lynx" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I need to get a bike. Here is the story. I'm 36 years old and
    haven't ridden bike on a regular basis since 1984. I used to ride a
    Team Mongoose BMX. Good bike.I started driving so no need to ride.
    Wish I never stopped. I was lean and fit while ridding the bike.
    Even a few years after I stopped I still was lean but over the years
    the more inactive I got the more weight I put on. I want to start
    riding again but don't know which kinda bike to buy.

    I love BMX, they look great but I'm too tall for those now 
    I won't spend a lot of money because I'm just cruising on the streets.
    I hear people say don't buy these bikes sold at Costco and the like
    because they are not high quality but I tell you those Costco bikes
    are probably higher quality than the BMX I used to ride and that was a
    good bike too. I just want to ride on the street. Nothing serious
    nothing intense just exercise.

    What do I look for in a bike? Suspension frame? Hard tail frame?
    What height? When they list the wheel height in terms of 21 or 26 inch
    or whatever how is that in relation to the frame and what height of
    the bike and relation to my height of six feet tall? Is it the frame
    or the wheel height that's the most importance?

    Please advise and thanks in advance.


    Darn, James, you have a lot of questions. :-) You'd probably be well served
    to go to your local bike shop and ask them. You're probably (from the type
    of riding you describe) looking for a hybrid, or a MTB with slick tires, or
    possibly a flat bar road bike. There are so many options, and bike shop
    prices vary from just a bit more than Costco to thousands of dollars. My
    advice is poke around on the web and check your local bike shops.

    Mike

  3. James Lynx said:

    I need to get a bike. Here is the story. I'm 36 years old and
    haven't ridden bike on a regular basis since 1984. I used to ride a
    Team Mongoose BMX. Good bike.I started driving so no need to ride.
    Wish I never stopped. I was lean and fit while ridding the bike.
    Even a few years after I stopped I still was lean but over the years
    the more inactive I got the more weight I put on. I want to start
    riding again but don't know which kinda bike to buy.


    I rode bmx for years too, and just bought a new MTB that has BMX type
    attributes. It is AWESOME, I LOVE this bike. (Giant STP1)
    http://sitting-duck.home.comcast.net/stp1/index.htm

  4. On 6 May 2004 17:25:10 -0700, [email hidden] (James Lynx)

    Quoted message said:

    I need to get a bike. Here is the story. I'm 36 years old and
    haven't ridden bike on a regular basis since 1984. I used to ride a
    Team Mongoose BMX. Good bike.I started driving so no need to ride.
    Wish I never stopped. I was lean and fit while ridding the bike.
    Even a few years after I stopped I still was lean but over the years
    the more inactive I got the more weight I put on. I want to start
    riding again but don't know which kinda bike to buy.

    I love BMX, they look great but I'm too tall for those now 
    I won't spend a lot of money because I'm just cruising on the streets.
    I hear people say don't buy these bikes sold at Costco and the like
    because they are not high quality but I tell you those Costco bikes
    are probably higher quality than the BMX I used to ride and that was a
    good bike too. I just want to ride on the street. Nothing serious
    nothing intense just exercise.

    Well, at 36 you might be in a better position to appreciate the
    quality of a good bicycle. At 16, along with being immortal, the body
    and brains (or lack thereof) can make any bike work. And if something
    goes wrong, your recovery from an injury will be much harder and
    longer at 36.

    I'd look for a used mountain bike, something like a specialized hard
    rock with a solid fork- no suspension. $1500-250 max, and it will get
    you back on a bike. See what happens, see how it works, etc. Then in a
    few months you'll be able to make a much better decision.

    Quoted message said:

    What do I look for in a bike? Suspension frame? Hard tail frame?

    I'd avoid suspension for now. At the lower prices, the suspension
    won't be very good, will add weight, and will mean reduced quality in
    other parts. Again, solid frame and fork until you know what
    suspension will do for you with your present riding style.

    Quoted message said:

    What height? When they list the wheel height in terms of 21 or 26 inch
    or whatever how is that in relation to the frame and what height of
    the bike and relation to my height of six feet tall? Is it the frame
    or the wheel height that's the most importance?

    Please advise and thanks in advance.

    Most 'adult' bikes will have 26 inch (mountain) or 700c (road) wheel
    sizes. Frame size is what you are looking for. At 6 feet, 19-21 inches
    in a mountain, 58cm or so in a road? Stand over height is the big
    issue. Make certain that you can raise the seatpost enough (or get a
    replacement). Your knees are not going to deal with too short a seat
    height as well as they did at 16.

    (OK, bike fit is much more complex than standover height, but you have
    to start somewhere....)

    If you don't want to do the used route, then shop for a good bike shop
    and let them lead you to a good bike.

    I'll throw out a bike that I've enjoyed for bombing around streets-
    Marin Muirwoods

    http://www.marinbikes.com/html/spec_04_muirwoods.html

    Something like this would be a good starting point.

  5. James Lynx said:

    I need to get a bike. Here is the story. I'm 36 years old and haven't
    ridden bike on a regular basis since 1984. I used to ride a Team
    Mongoose BMX. Good bike.I started driving so no need to ride. Wish I
    never stopped. I was lean and fit while ridding the bike. Even a few
    years after I stopped I still was lean but over the years the more
    inactive I got the more weight I put on. I want to start riding again
    but don't know which kinda bike to buy.
    I love BMX, they look great but I'm too tall for those now  I
    won't spend a lot of money because I'm just cruising on the streets. I
    hear people say don't buy these bikes sold at Costco and the like
    because they are not high quality but I tell you those Costco bikes are
    probably higher quality than the BMX I used to ride and that was a good
    bike too. I just want to ride on the street. Nothing serious nothing
    intense just exercise.
    What do I look for in a bike? Suspension frame? Hard tail frame? What
    height? When they list the wheel height in terms of 21 or 26 inch or
    whatever how is that in relation to the frame and what height of the
    bike and relation to my height of six feet tall? Is it the frame or the
    wheel height that's the most importance?
    Please advise and thanks in advance.
    Thanks,
    James

    I would definitly check out a local bike shop. If you get a MTB or a
    hybrid you'll probably be very happy and the price is no more than a
    good bike at Costco. Full suspension on low end bikes are a waste of
    money since they tend to be cheap and add weight & cost.

    Get a MTB if your; Looking for versatility. A MTB is primarily for off
    road riding but can be easily adapted for road riding by simply changing
    the tires to slicks. It will not be nearly as fast as a road bike or
    hybrid due to the 26" rims, fatter/nobby tires, and gear ratio's. Best
    for rough dirt roads and bumpy conditions, kinda slow for road riding
    (although I've seen some pretty fast MTBer's on the road).

    Get a Hybrid if your; Looking for a low cost alternative to a road bike.
    Hybrid's are a cross between a road bike and a MTB. They have 700c rims
    and have a gear ratio similar (or the same) as a road bike. The tires
    tend to be somewhat fatter than a road bike but narrower than a MTB and
    generally don't have nobbies. The sitting position is more upright than
    a road bike and is supposed to be more comfortable but most would agree
    that a road bike's position is a necessity for longer rides (over 30
    miles). Generally not too good off road but hard dirt paths are probably
    OK. Does a much better job on pavement than a MTB (even with slicks).

    Get a Road Bike if you; Like to ride fast or take long trips (30+
    miles). Road bikes generally have 700c tires that are very narrow. The
    gear ratio's are best suited for higher speeds and the drop down bars
    (handle bars) provide the best hand positions for comfort. Not good off
    road, stick to the pavement.

    --

  6. a similar case myself, at 37 i started riding again after a 20 year break.
    after shopping around a while i figured i'd rather spend a little more cash
    on something half-decent (reputable manufacturer, aluminium frame, shimano
    derailleurs) rather than go for something really cheap that i'd probably
    want to replace six months later. after some hunting i ended up with a giant
    yukon hardtail which is just the job for knobbing around town, especially
    with some slicks thrown on. since then i've also started triathlon and
    splurged on a tribike. it's the business for fast rides, but not nearly as
    much fun as the yukon.

    "James Lynx" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I need to get a bike. Here is the story. I'm 36 years old and
    haven't ridden bike on a regular basis since 1984. I used to ride a
    Team Mongoose BMX. Good bike.I started driving so no need to ride.
    Wish I never stopped. I was lean and fit while ridding the bike.
    Even a few years after I stopped I still was lean but over the years
    the more inactive I got the more weight I put on. I want to start
    riding again but don't know which kinda bike to buy.

    I love BMX, they look great but I'm too tall for those now 
    I won't spend a lot of money because I'm just cruising on the streets.
    I hear people say don't buy these bikes sold at Costco and the like
    because they are not high quality but I tell you those Costco bikes
    are probably higher quality than the BMX I used to ride and that was a
    good bike too. I just want to ride on the street. Nothing serious
    nothing intense just exercise.

    What do I look for in a bike? Suspension frame? Hard tail frame?
    What height? When they list the wheel height in terms of 21 or 26 inch
    or whatever how is that in relation to the frame and what height of
    the bike and relation to my height of six feet tall? Is it the frame
    or the wheel height that's the most importance?

    Please advise and thanks in advance.

    Thanks,

    James

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.