Buying Entry Bike, would like a more experienced rider's opinion.

davej

Jul 6, 2009
I recently have become interested in road biking after spinning for 2 years realizing that staring at a wall just isn't as exciting as it once was and was looking to purchase my first one. However this sport is quite expensive and I don't have loads of money lying around to purchase a top quality bike.

The two bikes I have currently been looking at are

the
GT Series 4
2009 GT GTR Series Four Road Bike

and

Scattante R- 330
Scattante R-330 Road Bike

These are bikes that are in my price budget for now and I have gone to the shop and tested both out, and thought the Scattante was a slightly nicer ride, but after reading negative comments about Performance Bikes, I don't know whether it makes sense to buy one of these, or rather wait and spend a bit more money and not buy a Performance house label.

Thanks

Have you considered a second hand bike?

Also the Scattante has a triple chain ring set up, the GT doesn't. If you live in a hilly area, the triple could come in very handy ;)

regards

I have looked on craigslist for second hand bikes, but the problem doing that is I don't know mechanical problems to look for while examining a bike, and even if I do notice problems, I can't judge how much is would be to fix or replace these items. Are there any items that I should look for specifically when looking at a second hand bike?

Have you considered a singlespeed or a fixed? Your spinning prowess would come in real handy.

I never had a problem dealing with Performance.

Just about any road bike in that price range will do the job. I actually think you are very wise by going that route instead of following the newbies who go straight to the $8000 bike (most what these bikes give you is more show than go in terms of actual real world riding anyway). I get a lot of arguments about this kind of thinking, but hey, I've only been a road bike rider for 39 years. More expensive components can give you a bit smoother shifting, but there's nothing essential you will be missing out on.

It's not a lifetime decision. You can always get a more expensive bike a few years down the road if you feel the need for it.

Just make sure what kind of road bike you want. Some are more like racing bikes, some are more like general purpose or touring bikes. You should be able to adjust the saddle and handlebars for more comfortable riding rather than all-out racing. If you see yourself more as a racing type, get the bike with the double, but if you're more into being able to climb up long or steep hills without busting a gut, get the bike with the triple.

Personally though, I don't think online buying is such a good idea unless you already know what you want, and what your sizing preferences are. You might save a few bucks, but you can easily wind up with a bike that won't meet your needs.