By How Much Should I Be Looking To Increase My Distance By....?

Sarah79

Aug 31, 2009
Hi,

(Hope the long title is excused!)

I'm new to cycling - I'm 30, rediscovered my bike rotting away in the shed and have since been pounding the country lanes near to my house - I'm in Shropshire - and began by doing a quick, circuitious route of about 8 miles. 2 weeks later and I'm up to 17. Is that too much too soon? My body doesn't feel it is, at least not at the moment and before I took up cycling, I was a rock-climbing so physically, I'm probably quite tough. I'm just wondering what the average progression is and what is perhaps recommended by those more conversant with these topics than me...

Cheers

S

Well you'll see a lot of advice to only increase mileage by 'x' percent per week or month, but that assumes a lot in terms of base fitness and everybody's different. A doubling of mileage sounds like a lot, and would be if you were doing forty of fifty mile rides but probably not a big deal going from 8 to 17 for someone who was previously active.

Basically listen to your body and ride as much as you enjoy but try to end most rides pleasantly tired, not totally knackered. If you're trashed for the rest of the day or have lingering soreness, lose sleep or don't even want to look at the bike the next day you've probably overdone things a bit. But don't hesitate to stretch your rides a bit or ride a bit quicker when it's fun, just remember to fuel and hydrate well and it's best to have at least a day or two each week where you don't get on the bike or at the most take a very easy and short spin to keep your muscles loose.

Definitely pay attention to fueling yourself both on and off the bike and especially in the first half hour after returning from rides. Getting some simple carbs along with a bit of protein on board in that critical half hour after finishing a ride can make all the difference in terms of fueling up for tomorrow's activities.

Maybe it's just me, but I can and usually do go all day without eating much when climbing. Hanging out on belay ledges or being totally focused on a lead doesn't burn calories the way cycling does. So definitely pay attention to fueling needs as you transition to cycling.

Good luck,
-Dave

That's a really great answer - thanks, Dave. I think it is too prescriptive to expect the formula to work for everyone without taking into account, as you say, those unique histories. My body feels fine at the moment so I can probably push it a little more - my enthusiasm hasn't even been dented by being caught in a merciless rain storm about half way round, so I'm optimistic that I can continue to up it. Only thing I'm concerned about is the onset of autumn, dark nights and I have a long commute to and from work which would leave me with only skinny slivers of time to ride at the end of the day. Would an exercise bike be a suitable filler for those months? It's not the same for the atmosphere but in terms of training....?

As for eating and climbing; I didn't ever subscribe to the food for fuel thing beforehand, probably because I was nervous before leading and couldn't eat a thing. Afterwards though, was a different story! I fell 60 foot back in March, though, so haven't returned to outdoor stuff since then. That's a whole other saga!

Cheers

Shropshire is a great place to ride. I used to live in England and loved riding around western Shropshire and spent a fair amount of time at Bridges youth hostel getting used to slogging it out in the cold, wet desolate hills. An awesome place for riding...

If you've been active before, then as Dave pointed out, going from 8 to 17 miles shouldn't pose a significant challenge. I'd say that would be true if you were to up that to 30. The only thing really preventing that would be available time, comfy shorts and a bit of food/drink.

Have fun!