BY!

"Jon Meinecke" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> "EVSolutions" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> > I am not a big fan of censorship and A.R.B.R. cannot be Moderated
>
> Actually, an existing newsgroup *can* go from unmoderated to moderated. It isn't very likely, but
> it is 'permitted' and reportedly has happened. It's probably more accurate to say ARBR *will not*
> become moderated.
>
> > I don't have a solution to the OT and anger, not sure there is one.
>
> Ignoring off-topic postings may help, but not as much as posting *more messages on-topic*! A first-
> time or returning non-regular reader of a newsgroup likely doesn't know that filtering even only a
> few posters can greatly change [improve] the character of the newsgroup content. So post more
> messages like you want to see [on-topic, hopefully]!
>
> > IF I had the time I'd look at doing a Moderated Version of ARBR as the only way to get this
> > group back on track... but I lack the time to do it.
>
> You may have missed the short-lived discussion of creating a new newsgroup:
> rec.bicycles.recumbent.moderated. It would, as you say, require a big investment in time
> and energy.
>
> Even if successful, a moderated recumbent newsgroup wouldn't be on the same "track" as what we
> might idealistically (unrealistically) remember as ARBR from years' past. We had off-topic posts
> then, but it seems to me, nowhere near the current level of persistently and intentionally
> offensive, abusive, and sometimes vulgar posts.
>
> They say, "You are what you eat."
>
> Well, the newsgroup is what we post...
>
> Jon Meinecke

Why is it that Mr. Meinecke can never get any responses to his posts. Is it because he is always so
dull and on topic all the time? Or is it because he just has just one crazy idea after another all
the time and no one, but no one, takes him seriously. Better to be a jackass like myself and at
least entertain someone if you can't inform them about anything they want to be informed about. If
it weren't for me taking his posts somewhat seriously, he might as well be writing to someone on the
planet Mars.

We
> had off-topic posts then, but it seems to me, nowhere near the current level of persistently and
> intentionally offensive, abusive, and sometimes vulgar posts.

Everyone who thinks the above about me should get themselves a sense of humor. I do not put smileys
all over my posts because I figure everyone here is intelligent enough to get my meanings. But there
are some really serious folks in this world, like Mr. Meinecke, who are quick to take offense. I
think they must be of Germanic origin as those peoples do have the reputation for being dour and
serious. We Irish are not like that. We like to poke fun at seriousness because we think it is
mostly quite ridiculous.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota