I am in the process of getting my first real road bike. I am over 50, 200lbs, 5'11, and mountain bike. Last night from reading the reviews at roadbikereview.com, I was sure that I wanted a 2003 TCR composite 1. Today I rode the bike and felt it to be a noodle. I then rode the 2003 Cannondale R1000 and was amazed at how much better it handled at the front end. I was nervous riding the Giant but felt confident in the Cannondale. The LBS said it was the stiffer fork and the stiffer frame. I don't know, but it was not a minor difference. I have also tested the Jamis Comet and the Jamis Eclipse. They were in the middle of the twitchy ratings.
What bikes instill confidence in the front end and give the compliant ride I need?
I am going to purchase in the $1200 to $1800 range possibly lightly used.
Originally posted by nonutin I am in the process of getting my first real road bike. I am over 50, 200lbs, 5'11, and mountain bike. Last night from reading the reviews at roadbikereview.com, I was sure that I wanted a 2003 TCR composite 1. Today I rode the bike and felt it to be a noodle. I then rode the 2003 Cannondale R1000 and was amazed at how much better it handled at the front end. I was nervous riding the Giant but felt confident in the Cannondale. The LBS said it was the stiffer fork and the stiffer frame. I don't know, but it was not a minor difference. I have also tested the Jamis Comet and the Jamis Eclipse. They were in the middle of the twitchy ratings.
What bikes instill confidence in the front end and give the compliant ride I need?
I am going to purchase in the $1200 to $1800 range possibly lightly used.
Thanks
Sounds to me like you've answered your own question. Cyclists vary so much in size, weight, body type, not to mention personal preference so there will be a huge difference in opinion as to what people feel confident on (and some will try very hard to convince you that if it works for them it will work for you which is not always the case). You are doing the best thing that you can do by riding them and seeing what feels good and works for you. Just for the record I have a Cannondale that I built up from a frame but the only thing that is original Cannondale is the frame and fork. The main reason I went with that frame was the deal I got on it but I am extremely happy with it. Just remember your the one riding it so you have to feel comfortable on it.
Agree with Matt.....get what feels good to you. But on test rides, make sure the inflation pressures are similar. Different tires will give a different feel too. You might want to check out the Trek 5200 or 2300 for ride/handling as well. Enjoy your shopping.
Originally posted by dhk Agree with Matt.....get what feels good to you. But on test rides, make sure the inflation pressures are similar. Different tires will give a different feel too. You might want to check out the Trek 5200 or 2300 for ride/handling as well. Enjoy your shopping.
Dan
I rode the Trek 5200 for a short ride today. I liked it and thought it was smoother and stiffer than the Look 461, I rode for a half hour immediately before it.
What pressure should the tires be: 120psi???
I do like the stiff feel of the aluminum bikes but realize my body is not going to like the ride for the long term. But Cannondale and others have said that the Caad 7 is a unique aluminum bike with better compliance than the OCLV. Others including a boutique manufacture says that it is all hype and aluminum is aluminum. I thought the CAAD 7 was different when I rode it but it could have been the tires!!
Cannondale's claim: smoke and mirrors or the truth???
Originally posted by nonutin I rode the Trek 5200 for a short ride today. I liked it and thought it was smoother and stiffer than the Look 461, I rode for a half hour immediately before it.
What pressure should the tires be: 120psi???
I do like the stiff feel of the aluminum bikes but realize my body is not going to like the ride for the long term. But Cannondale and others have said that the Caad 7 is a unique aluminum bike with better compliance than the OCLV. Others including a boutique manufacture says that it is all hype and aluminum is aluminum. I thought the CAAD 7 was different when I rode it but it could have been the tires!!
Cannondale's claim: smoke and mirrors or the truth???
thanks
There is some truth to it in that the seat stays are carbon unlike thier previous frames which were all aluminum.
This is quite common with other manufacturers also. I hate to sound like a broken record but you have to decide whether you think the carbon seatstays really make a difference or not. Too many people have varying opinions on this and what it boils down to is whether or not it feels better to you. Actually I don't think it even matters whether or not the carbon is making the difference but whether or not the frame feels right for you for whatever reason.
This is quite common with other manufacturers also. I hate to sound like a broken record but you have to decide whether you think the carbon seatstays really make a difference or not. Too many people have varying opinions on this and what it boils down to is whether or not it feels better to you. Actually I don't think it even matters whether or not the carbon is making the difference but whether or not the frame feels right for you for whatever reason.
Matt
Actually the seatstays are not carbon. The seatstays are hourglass shaped aluminum tubes that they claim give better compliance than carbon at less weight.
As you point out the technology is not mportant., only the ride. Unfortunately I don't have enough experience to know if the caad 7 is going to be as confortable as a Trek 5200. Given each bike gave even comfort in the long run, I would choose the Caad. If in the long run my ancient body is going to feel better on 4 hour rides with the oclv 120, I would buy that.
Originally posted by nonutin I am in the process of getting my first real road bike. I am over 50, 200lbs, 5'11,
I am slightly under 50 and slightly over 200lbs and I recently got a Caad7 R2000 as my first road bike - converted from MTB!
I love the bike and have had no real discomfort on longer rides (longest so far is 80 miles), the bike is great on climbs and very stable on descents.
I am going to fit a carbon seatpost and handlebars, not out of necessity but because my wife bought them for me as a Birthday present after talking to the guy in the LBS!! Got to love that😄