Cadence and Pedals

Brad1711

Jun 23, 2004
Yes, yes, I know you're all going to make fun of me :D

Can someone define "cadence" for me? I've picked up that it is kind of like pedal rpm and has something to do with your...ermm...spin I think it's called :confused:

Also, can someone point me to some pictures of the different types of road pedals (i.e. platform, clipless, strap, etc.) as I'm not too familiar with those either. And the poll is just so I can get an idea of what most people use.

Thanks in advance!!!

Brad, cadence is the term for defining the number of revolutions per minute of your pedals/crankarms/feet while cycling. The term "spinning" is used to describe the act of keeping your cadence high and the pressure placed on the pedals fairly low.

Time Impact clipless pedals:
http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...pact+S+Pedals&vendorCode=TIME&major=5&minor=2

Look clipless pedals:
http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&major=5&minor=2&description=PP396+Pedals&vendorCode=LOOK

Shimano clipless pedals (road version):
http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...e+7800+Pedals&vendorCode=SHIM&major=5&minor=2

Campagnolo clipless pedals:
http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...+Pro-fit+Plus&vendorCode=CAMP&major=5&minor=2

Speedplay clipless pedals:
http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...oad+Pedal&vendorCode=SPEDPLAY&major=5&minor=2

The pedals referenced above are road pedals, but many of the same companies make mtb pedals that are designed more for ease of entry and mud clearance.

I personally prefer the Time Impact series pedals--they offer a great deal of adjustability which my knees seem to enjoy!

Jeff

I prefer Speedplay. I've got X-2's now, but I have a pair of Zeros waiting to go on.

I just got some Shimano's and one advantage seems to be that the cleats (the part that is attached to the sole of your shoe that 'clips' in) have little guards so that if you need to walk in your cycling shoes (eg. to order your coffee), then you're not walking directly on the mechanism that inserts into the pedal, but rather on these little guards....hence less damage and they'll last longer.:D

This topic is very much a personal preference issue.

I've been using various LOOK pedal systems for years and years now. I love them -- but this is a personal preference. Can also be simply that I have used them so long I dont know any better. :D I'm on CX6s at the moment. I'm about ready to check out Shimano to see if I might like to change over (gasp). I do think Shimanos have an edge over LOOK should you find yourself strolling about. Hard to change when you're so comfortable with one system though.

Check out all the options and see which you prefer.

graf zeppelin said:
I've been using various LOOK pedal systems for years and years now. I love them

I used to use LOOK pedals. Tried Speedplays because a lot of customers were asking me about them. For some reason, I was instantly faster. The cleat stack height is so much less, so your foot is a lot closer to the centerline of the spindle. They're also easier to engage (unless you step down in dirt or gravel, in which case they're impossible to engage). :p

The pedals are seriously worn now though, so I'm starting to have some issues. Waiting patiently for my Zeros to arrive :D

Brad1711 said:

Can someone define "cadence" for me? I've picked up that it is kind of like pedal rpm and has something to do with your...ermm...spin I think it's called :confused:

Also, can someone point me to some pictures of the different types of road pedals (i.e. platform, clipless, strap, etc.) as I'm not too familiar with those either. And the poll is just so I can get an idea of what most people use.

Thanks in advance!!!
I used to be a roadie but now I'm 'bent. On all of my road bikes I've always had toeclips. Never used cleated shoes or clipless pedals. My new recumbent is equipped with Power Grip straps. I prefer them over the old style clips on my road bike. Justt mt 2 cents.

'bent Brian

I use Campagnolo Chorus Pro-Fits. Top notch quality, based on the Look system (used to ride those). Check 'em out. THey are very nice. Would not ride anything else.

cydewaze said:
I prefer Speedplay. I've got X-2's now, but I have a pair of Zeros waiting to go on.

speedplay all they way !
just got a new pair of zeros on and i LOVE them

izzodesh said:
speedplay all they way !
just got a new pair of zeros on and i LOVE them
I finally got my Zeros on too (red "Team CSC" edition) and I like them even better than the X2s. At first I had a bit of pain in my left knee, so I let out the "heel out" float screw a bit, and the pain cleared up instantly.

Don't forget to lube up the cleat mechinism on yours with some teflon spray. ;)

Brad1711 said:

Can someone define "cadence" for me?

Thanks in advance!!!

Cadence = rpm
normally 90 - 100 rpm on the flat
70 - 80 on a climb

60 and below will damage your knees ,
100 + will , unless your wierd like Armstrong , lose eficiency .

pedals are personal but do go for something with a really low release tension at first and practice with an A-frame trianer for a while before going on the road : that " oh sh*t I´m falling over " feeling is unnerving , but it doesn´t last beyond the first dozen rides - mind you in traffic even the best fall over from being too busy braking to get a foot out .

I too am using the LOOK system. Only thing I dont like about them is the fact that compared to the Shimano Ultegra Pedals, they do not have the little rubber "knobs" on the cleets that help you from slipping. The LOOK system is also easier to clip in and out of, in my opinion, compared to the Shimano system.

I use look on my road bikes a nearly 20 year old set and "look compatible " set.
I use spd's on my mountain bike. :rolleyes:

Love my spd's and put them on the whole stable...except my townie. For that I use cage pedals with clips so I can ride in my tennis shoes

gclark8 said:
There are some really interesting pedals on Sheldon Browns page: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/pedals.html

I am going to try the large MKS GR9 clip type platform ones for sprint triathlon with running shoes instead of bike shoes/clipless & cleated.

The rest of Sheldon's Website is out of this world...i had a good laugh
check out the page about his hats. I really liked that one.

Aaron

PS: I use Time Equippe Sport clipless pedals...or something like that...they work well

el Inglés said:
Cadence = rpm

60 and below will damage your knees ,
100 + will , unless your wierd like Armstrong , lose eficiency .

Can you explain to me how 60 will damage my knees?
Also not entirely convinced by your 100+ statement either.