Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Calling all frame fairies....

Started by biker7 · · Last activity · 28 posts · 3,888 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
23 February 2005
Last activity
28 February 2005
Original author
biker7
Posts
28
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,888
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–28 of 28
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. You'd be better off comparing the 58cm Pilot to the 58cm 5000 IMO. Then you can see the real differences between frames of the same size form the same manufacturer. Why try to compare the 60cm 5000 to the 63cm Pilot?

    It's pretty easy to see the diefferences between the two.

    Pilot = slacker geometry, longer chain stays, longer wheelbase, shorter TT, lower standover = more upright position, stability over quickness, comfort over speed, etc...

    5000 = steeper geometry, shorter chainstays, shorter wheelbase, longer TT, higher standover = more aggressive position, quickness over stability, speed over comfort, etc...

    Yeah the handlebar drop on the Pilot is probably less than that on the 5000 (goes hand in hand with the intent of each bike). But that's a figure that can be easily changed by swapping stems, adding or subtracting spacers, etc... So what's the big deal???

    It's very straight forward what the differences in these two frames are and what the intended purpose of each bike is (IMO). I don't see why people insist on micro-analyzing the [censored] out it. There's nothing really mysterious about it at all. 🙄

  2. meehs said:

    I don't see why people insist on micro-analyzing the [censored] out it. There's nothing really mysterious about it at all. 🙄

    Gives purpose to the lives of frustrated rocket scientists, that couldn't pull of a shot to Uranus. :p

  3. Thanks for your comments Meehs...only a discussion...nothing more. The Pilot is the new kid on the block and is worthy of a comparison. As to why...because we like to talk bikes or wouldn't be here and and sometimes even without rancor though not very often because of a particular individual...lol. The reason I didn't do a 58 to 58 comparison of 5000 to Pilot is because both bikes are too small for me so not really relevant.
    Cheers,
    George

  4. boudreaux said:

    Gives purpose to the lives of frustrated rocket scientists, that couldn't pull of a shot to Uranus. :p

    Or...because choosing the right frame size is REALLY EASY if you know what sizes matter...

  5. Hi again George,
    Comparing the differences in wheelbase (16mm), chainstay length (5mm) and headangle (1 degree) of the 60cm 5000 and the 63cm Pilot I would say that the horizontal distance seat-handlebars on the Pilot is around 30mm less than that of the 5000. Not insignificant.

  6. I was considering the Pilot 2.1 myself. I rode it and liked the handle bar height but needed more top tube. I'm 6'3", so I didn't want to be bent way over to reach the bars. I also rode a Lemond Croix de Fer where the shop did not cut off the steerer. That raised the bar enough that it gave more of an "upright" feel to the traditional geometry. I looked hard at several compact frames (Giant, Specialized, and Trek Pilot) and just never could get used to the look of them. For me way too much seat tube was out. That's just personal preference though, as they seemed to ride fine.

    If you are considering the Pilot though, ride the Specialized Roubaix for comparison.

  7. boudreaux said:

    Gives purpose to the lives of frustrated rocket scientists, that couldn't pull of a shot to Uranus. :p

    C'mon, can't we leave my anus out of this?

  8. biker7 said:

    Thanks for your comments Meehs...only a discussion...nothing more. The Pilot is the new kid on the block and is worthy of a comparison. As to why...because we like to talk bikes or wouldn't be here and and sometimes even without rancor though not very often because of a particular individual...lol. The reason I didn't do a 58 to 58 comparison of 5000 to Pilot is because both bikes are too small for me so not really relevant.
    Cheers,
    George

    Understood. I like talking bikes too, otherwise I wouldn't be here either. It's just that further discussion of this topic on this forum could be likened to beating a dead horse at this poit. Albeit this is sort-of a new twist on the discussion.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.