Calorie, calorie, Kcal, Kj WTF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

trek-man

Apr 10, 2005
G'day all
Another dumb question thats probably been answered a thousand times. A google search has led me to the calculation that my BMR is 2185 calories. Now a health program im on (optifast) says that its meal replacements are 152 kcal each serve. To my calculations this is 152, 000 calories per serve and cannot be right. What is the difference between calories, Calories, kcal, Kcal and kj. Its all a bit much for my rather small brain. Hmmmmmmm food goes in here Aghhhhhhhh

trek-man said:
G'day all
Another dumb question thats probably been answered a thousand times. A google search has led me to the calculation that my BMR is 2185 calories. Now a health program im on (optifast) says that its meal replacements are 152 kcal each serve. To my calculations this is 152, 000 calories per serve and cannot be right. What is the difference between calories, Calories, kcal, Kcal and kj. Its all a bit much for my rather small brain. Hmmmmmmm food goes in here Aghhhhhhhh

food energy is usually measured in Kcal (kilocalories = 1000 calories), so your BMR (could be) 2185 Kcal (the units have been incorrectly stated wherever you read this, which is a common mistake). The SI measure of energy is kilojoule (kj, = 1000 joules). The conversion factor between kcal and kj is ~ 4.18, i.e., 1 kcal = 4.18 kj.

ric

Thanks for the quick reply. Thsi new world of health and fitness is a bit bewildering. Can you suggest a definative text or website that i can do a bit of research from to stem the tide of newbie questions.
cheers
Mick

trek-man said:
Thanks for the quick reply. Thsi new world of health and fitness is a bit bewildering. Can you suggest a definative text or website that i can do a bit of research from to stem the tide of newbie questions.
cheers
Mick
We like newbie questions! It makes us keep on our toes! http://cyclingforums.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
Check out Human Kinetics. They have some good text books and an online education center where you can learn more about specific topics relating to sport and sport nutrition. But keep the questions cominghttp://cyclingforums.com/images/smilies/wink.gif