trekchic said:Hey, while we're on this subject........
I, too, am trying to just lose about 10-12 #'s. Before cycling, I went on a low carb diet for 6 months and lost 40#'! I was amazed. At first, it stayed off even though I increased my carbs a little (back up to about 60 grams per day). I have slowly, but surely, put some of the weight back on. I increased the amount of food I was eating to ride longer distances.
So, now I am back to low carb eating for a few weeks to kick start the losing again. I am reading the South Beach diet book and it's helping me to choose better carbs when I need some glycogen for riding.
If we stay away from white flour, white sugar, potatos and rice BUT eat the fruits, whole wheat pasta, soy flour products, brown rice, sweet potatos and other "non-white" carbs, will that enable us to keep riding? I am struggling with this because I find I can only ride about an hour without running out of fuel. I feel like I've ridden 50 miles instead of 13! and I am done at that point for the rest of the day.
So.........if you're trying to lose weight, and just cycling won't lose weight for me, will this approach work? If so, when do you eat the carbs? Constantly, or only an hour or so before a ride?
I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO confused about this subject and no one that I ride with is on the same diet I am.
Kim in TN
Kim -- I'm also working through the South Beach Diet (which has a terrible name, but is actually a serious book written by a legit cardiologist, with lots of (for me) helpful information), after always being anti-"diet" but really wanting to lose 10-15 pounds ahead of a cross-country bike trip for next spring (I need that weight for gear!). So far I'm very pleased with it. I also have a history of heart disease in my family, so the education on blood chemistry has been very helpful to me.
On your exercise question, Dr. Agatson recommends that you eat some sort of complex, low-glycemic-load carbohydrate before (e.g. oatmeal with skim milk and apples), and that after a sustained period of exercise (he says 90 minutes or more) you can and should eat something that will quickly replenish your glycogen stores -- energy bars, even white bread or potatoes. If I had the book with me, I'd point you to the page number. Now, I don't think this means that if you exercise 90 minutes or more, you can then eat whatever simple carbs you want for the rest of the day -- just that you can re-fuel your body right then with foods that break down quickly and replenish depleted glycogen stores. I'm off next week for a four-day cycling tour in Canada, so I will test this out on that trip and see how I do. So far on my regular weekend rides of around 25 miles, I've found that my "normal" snacks of almonds or string cheese or celery with peanut butter serve me just fine.
To clear up some of the confusion -- South Beach does not involve counting carbs or counting calories or anything "diet-y" like that (again, bad name, good book). Other than the first two weeks, the program is really about learning how to make different food choices that can improve your blood chemistry and cardiac health, with the pleasant side effect of also moving you closer to a healthier weight if you are currently above that. I know there's so much faddish "low-carb" craze out there now, which is what made me resist looking into the South Beach Diet, and which mostly seems to involve the same kinds of marketing gimmicks and processed "fake food" that is part of the obesity problem. I was pleasantly surprised when I actually got the book and took the time to read it all. Anyway, enough rant from me! I just don't want people who haven't looked into it lumping South Beach Diet in with Atkins or with generic "carb-counting" or "low-carb" fads.
Margaret