UK and Europe · Public discussion

Calorie Estimates....

Started by LaoFuZhi · · Last activity · 61 posts · 2,633 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
16 July 2004
Last activity
26 July 2004
Original author
LaoFuZhi
Posts
61
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,633
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 61
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size

  1. Quoted message said:

    If you're hauling the same mass about as you used to be, but at higher
    speeds, then you're using more energy. (Acceleration effort is
    greater, rolling resistance once you get up to speed is greater, air
    resistance is greater)

    If you're hauling the same mass at the same speeds, you're using the
    same energy.

    etc...

    Thanks, that's what I would have thought.....

    Maybe I should dig out my old 'O' grade physics books <g> If the moths
    haven't eaten them....

  2. .... and another thought.

    I'd say that burning calories doesn't matter unless there is a medical
    reason. our society is too body conscious. If you have a smile on your face
    then you always look good (and I'm always smiling when I ride).

    If you seek bio-feedback then your heart rate during exercise is the best
    indicator of effort becuase it responds directly to the body's requirements.
    You won't find any more accurate feedback out of controlled laboratory
    conditions.

    =======
    "LaoFuZhi" <the.real.address [email hidden]
    thing.not.too.hard.to.work.out> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    My Cat-Eye cycle computer/ HRM has the option of displaying calorie
    expenditure.....

    This is of interest to me since I cycle to loose weight and I use the
    information to help calculate my daily calorie balance... Now, obviously


    as

    Quoted message said:

    I've cycled regularly for some time I've got fitter. I've noticed a drop


    in

    Quoted message said:

    average heart rate over the course I regularly follow.... And a drop in
    calorie expenditure.... As I've lost weight I've taken to loading the bike
    with lifiting weights to keep the overall all-up weight the same, or at
    least within 2-3lb....

    But over the same run the calorie expenditure as reported by the HRM is
    dropping......

    May I assume that this is because the HRM is actually calculating the
    calorie expenditure using time and HR data and NOT taking into account
    distance speed\time??? As my average heart rate is dropping it's coming up
    with a lower figure? I suppose it MUST work on some sort of average and


    make

    Quoted message said:

    some assumptions since it does not require things like weight or age to be
    input...

    If so, how could I more accurately calculate my calorie expenditure... Is
    there a better HRM on the market that takes these things into acocunt???

    TIA
    Matt

  3. Will H [email hidden] opined the following...

    Quoted message said:

    (and I'm always smiling when I ride).

    Then you're riding too slowly. You should be grimacing with pain, or in
    a trance-like state considering the 100 miles home. ;-)

    Jon


  4. Quoted message said:

    I'd say that burning calories doesn't matter unless there is a medical
    reason. our society is too body conscious. If you have a smile on your


    face

    Quoted message said:

    then you always look good (and I'm always smiling when I ride).

    Possibly so. To be frank I do have 'issues' with my own body image and part
    of my way of dealing with them is to lose weight. At one point I'd hit
    almost 15stone; which is a lot when I should only be about 10'10... There's
    a health issue too. Both parents had heart attacks young and I have a 'duff'
    valve... It's not too serious though and should never really become so if I
    keep reasonably fit...

    I do appreciate that the drop in average heart rate is a good step forwards
    and am pleased to see it; but it's important for me personally to keep
    shifting that flab.... And to that end I have this strategy of creating the
    necessary calorie defecit through exercise rather than a particularly harsh
    diet... Thus the reason why I really feel I need to be able to stick some
    sort of estimate on my efforts...

    ....Anyway, I look even more sinister when I smile....... ;-)

  5. very informative site:

    http://www.caloriesperhour.com/

    try this site, rather than working out your BMR and how many calories you
    need to taken on board, plus the extra's for reserves for when they are
    required.remember that these reserves are stored so if you can take onboard
    enough calories for your daily activites and store some extra over a
    period of days weeks even, you'll probably find that you don't feel quite as
    exhausted at the end, loading over periods of days works for me, when i have
    big rides in mind. plpus i don't have to try and continuously fill up during
    my rides as often.

    gives good information on calories required for daily activities plus how
    much you can do without without feeling that earge to binge and the diet
    going out the window.

    rather than having to work out your own BMR the java script does it all for
    you so even more calories saved for that long ride,

    "LaoFuZhi" <the.real.address [email hidden]
    thing.not.too.hard.to.work.out> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    I'd say that burning calories doesn't matter unless there is a medical
    reason. our society is too body conscious. If you have a smile on your


    face

    Quoted message said:

    then you always look good (and I'm always smiling when I ride).

    Possibly so. To be frank I do have 'issues' with my own body image and


    part

    Quoted message said:

    of my way of dealing with them is to lose weight. At one point I'd hit
    almost 15stone; which is a lot when I should only be about 10'10...


    There's

    Quoted message said:

    a health issue too. Both parents had heart attacks young and I have a


    'duff'

    Quoted message said:

    valve... It's not too serious though and should never really become so if


    I

    Quoted message said:

    keep reasonably fit...

    I do appreciate that the drop in average heart rate is a good step


    forwards

    Quoted message said:

    and am pleased to see it; but it's important for me personally to keep
    shifting that flab.... And to that end I have this strategy of creating


    the

    Quoted message said:

    necessary calorie defecit through exercise rather than a particularly


    harsh

    Quoted message said:

    diet... Thus the reason why I really feel I need to be able to stick some
    sort of estimate on my efforts...

    ...Anyway, I look even more sinister when I smile....... ;-)

  6. I confess that I wasn't smiling whilst on the Hangar Lane Gyratory at 7am
    this morning.

    "Jon Senior" <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Will H [email hidden] opined the following...

    Quoted message said:

    (and I'm always smiling when I ride).

    Then you're riding too slowly. You should be grimacing with pain, or in
    a trance-like state considering the 100 miles home. ;-)

    Jon

  7. On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 13:36:58 +0000 (UTC), "LaoFuZhi" <the.real.address
    [email hidden] thing.not.too.hard.to.work.out>

    Quoted message said:

    My Cat-Eye cycle computer/ HRM has the option of displaying calorie
    expenditure.....

    This is of interest to me since I cycle to loose weight and I use the
    information to help calculate my daily calorie balance... Now, obviously as
    I've cycled regularly for some time I've got fitter. I've noticed a drop in
    average heart rate over the course I regularly follow.... And a drop in
    calorie expenditure.... As I've lost weight I've taken to loading the bike
    with lifiting weights to keep the overall all-up weight the same, or at
    least within 2-3lb....

    But over the same run the calorie expenditure as reported by the HRM is
    dropping......

    May I assume that this is because the HRM is actually calculating the
    calorie expenditure using time and HR data and NOT taking into account
    distance speed\time??? As my average heart rate is dropping it's coming up
    with a lower figure? I suppose it MUST work on some sort of average and make
    some assumptions since it does not require things like weight or age to be
    input...

    If so, how could I more accurately calculate my calorie expenditure... Is
    there a better HRM on the market that takes these things into acocunt???

    TIA
    Matt

    I would imagine these computers are setup for the average fitness and
    average size rider and are a rough guide only. I do know though that
    your increased level of fitness results in the body now being capable
    of a higher performance of power output. This means larger muscles all
    round including improvements in the heart. These improvements mean
    your metabolism has gone up and the average intake of calories your
    body actually takes before exercise just maintaining itself is now
    higher. I'm not sure how exercise will effect calories used in
    comparision but I would still guess it would be higher as the heart is
    now stronger and thicker internally as are your muscles generally and
    although exercise is easier the muscles are now less efficient in that
    they consume more energy generally but of course now tasks are easier
    for it. Of course as you lose weight and carry less fat the body will
    obviously not need as many calories in this regard. A fairly
    complicated formula with many other variables.

    The same is true of food itself. You may say to yourself I've worked
    out and used 600 calories and only allow yourself 600 calories for you
    meals that day. However calories in food are calculated in a very
    approximate not particularly accurate way too. I might buy a
    vegetarian product that says it has 400 calories but my body like a
    lot of peoples isn't great at digesting and processing carrots and
    sweetcorn and these vegetables represent almost zero calories for me.
    Also a large mix of different foods in the stomach make it harder for
    the body to digest. Water also has an effect on the efficiency of
    getting energy from food.

    What I'm basically saying is anything relating to calories is just
    very rough information and can be wildly inaccurate.
    ..

  8. Michael MacClancy said:


    Your assumption is correct. The HRM is using your HR as a proxy for your
    power output and this, using a suitable conversion function integrated over
    the time exercised, gives the energy consumed. Your average HR falls as
    you get fitter so you use less energy for the same task.

    That last sentence is wrong. It should say something like, "Your heart
    stroke volume increases as you get fitter so you need a lower heart rate to
    provide the oxygen needed to burn the calories needed to perform the task".

    The problem is that your HRM doesn't know that your heart stroke volume has
    increased so it counts fewer heart beats and converts these into fewer
    calories consumed.

    --
    Michael MacClancy
    Random putdown - "I feel so miserable without you, it's almost like having
    you here." -Stephen Bishop
    www.macclancy.demon.co.uk
    www.macclancy.co.uk

  9. Quoted message said:

    "Jon Senior" <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Then you're riding too slowly. You should be grimacing with pain, or in
    a trance-like state considering the 100 miles home. ;-)


    Will H said:

    I confess that I wasn't smiling whilst on the Hangar Lane Gyratory at 7am
    this morning.

    Were you on the uphill side? The downhill side is much more fun,
    especially if you time it right with the lights.

    Colin McKenzie

    --
    The great advantage of not trusting statistics is that
    it leaves you free to believe the damned lies instead!

  10. "CloseSupport" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    very informative site:

    http://www.caloriesperhour.com/

    try this site, rather than working out your BMR and how many calories you
    need to taken on board, plus the extra's for reserves for when they are
    required.remember that these reserves are stored so if you can take


    onboard

    Quoted message said:

    enough calories for your daily activites and store some extra over a
    period of days weeks even, you'll probably find that you don't feel quite


    as

    Quoted message said:

    exhausted at the end, loading over periods of days works for me, when i


    have

    Quoted message said:

    big rides in mind. plpus i don't have to try and continuously fill up


    during

    Quoted message said:

    my rides as often.

    gives good information on calories required for daily activities plus how
    much you can do without without feeling that earge to binge and the diet
    going out the window.

    rather than having to work out your own BMR the java script does it all


    for

    Quoted message said:

    you so even more calories saved for that long ride,

    Thanks for the link; I'd not come across that one before.......

    The figures it give are actually quite close to those I've been using. I
    have a friend who is a GP and it was she who worked out what my weight
    should be and what my BMR was. At the time I was in quite a bad way; I'd
    lost a LOT of muscle mass and was carrying mainly flab...

    She came up with a BMR figure of 1600cal/day...... (the calculator comes up
    with 1757). that was based on various measurements taken with callipers
    etc....

    The thinking behind creating the calorie defecit through exercise rather
    than diet was that if I dieted I'd lose more muscle mass whether by exercise
    I'd gain muscle mass and at the same time raise my BMR allowing me to eat
    more normal amounts. If I work with JUST my BMR figures this tends to allow
    for my very sloppy calorie counting.... I basically discount my normal
    day-to day activities and count only the exercise... To give me my exercise
    (defecit) figures I have a rowing machine with a calorie readout, the HRM on
    the bike and a pedometer.... If It's too bad weather wise to cycle I walk a
    few miles (an old injury prevents me running) ....

    The calculator seems to agree with the figures I've been using; I can do
    about 10 miles in 40 minutes and it gives me a figure of 411 calories where
    the HRM tells me about 395...

    It's a fairly sloppy and unscientific way to do it I know but it does seem
    to work allowing as it does for human error and weaknesses....i.e the odd
    beer or ten washed down with a 14" pizza.... :-)

  11. If you want to loose weight then far more important than
    cycling/energy expenditure etc is diet.
    I recommend the ELF diet which is the only one which actually works.
    ELF stands for 'eat less food' and also 'especially less fat'.
    Cycling helps of course in that you feel the benefit and get
    motivated, and get generally fitter, but you'd have to cycle a huge
    amount to loose weight if you don't also alter your eating habits.
    Calory counter on your monitor is just a daft gimmick designed to
    appeal to techie geeks..

    cheers

    Jacob

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    If you want to loose weight then far more important than
    cycling/energy expenditure etc is diet.
    I recommend the ELF diet which is the only one which actually works.
    ELF stands for 'eat less food' and also 'especially less fat'.
    Cycling helps of course in that you feel the benefit and get
    motivated, and get generally fitter, but you'd have to cycle a huge
    amount to loose weight if you don't also alter your eating habits.
    Calory counter on your monitor is just a daft gimmick designed to
    appeal to techie geeks..

    ELF combined with CycleMor (TM) can prove dangerous. ASROSF (A Steady
    Reduction Of Sugary Foods) is probably a better idea.

    Agree with the gimmick thing though. I did wonder how it knew. Now I
    realise that it probably doesn't!

    Jon

  13. Jon Senior said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    If you want to loose weight then far more important than
    cycling/energy expenditure etc is diet.
    I recommend the ELF diet which is the only one which actually works.
    ELF stands for 'eat less food' and also 'especially less fat'.
    Cycling helps of course in that you feel the benefit and get
    motivated, and get generally fitter, but you'd have to cycle a huge
    amount to loose weight if you don't also alter your eating habits.
    Calory counter on your monitor is just a daft gimmick designed to
    appeal to techie geeks..

    ELF combined with CycleMor (TM) can prove dangerous. ASROSF (A Steady
    Reduction Of Sugary Foods) is probably a better idea.

    Agree with the gimmick thing though. I did wonder how it knew. Now I
    realise that it probably doesn't!

    Jon

    Yeah. Mind you, it's still really quite rewarding to see it sat saying
    I've burned 1609 calories on a shorter sunday ride..

    I have to say, I've tried ELF on it's own, and it doesn't work.
    CycleMor coupled with trying ETS is still proving hard to shift *weight*
    but it's shifting flab into muscles. At some point it'll run out of
    muscles to make, at which point I'm hoping I'll see the weight start to
    drop, and then I'll be sprinting up hills like lightning (yeah..
    right..) and lovely and thin again...

    Still dreaming...

    --

    Velvet


  14. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    If you want to loose weight then far more important than
    cycling/energy expenditure etc is diet.
    I recommend the ELF diet which is the only one which actually works.
    ELF stands for 'eat less food' and also 'especially less fat'.

    Well both I and my GP friend would disagree with that to some extent. As it
    happens I AM limiting my food intake and tend not to be overly fond of
    either sugary or fatty foods anyway. I'm not suggesting that it's possible
    to eat like a hog and lose weight SIMPLY by exercising..... What I'm
    saying is that it's better to create a 400/cal/day defecit over the rate
    necessary to keep your weight stable by riding 10 miles than cutting your
    food intake by 400 /cal/day from your base level and doing little or nothing
    by way of exercise..... OBVIOUSLY any intake over the level necessary to
    keep your weight stable has to be cut away. In my case that meant the
    nightly four-pack of lager got kicked into touch as did most (but certainly
    not all) of my trips to the chippie.

    And frankly, anyone who DOES over-eat would still benefit from my approach
    since they would at least slow-down the rate of weight-gain and generally
    improve their state of health.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Cycling helps of course in that you feel the benefit and get
    motivated, and get generally fitter, but you'd have to cycle a huge
    amount to loose weight if you don't also alter your eating habits.

    I apologise if I seemed to suggest otherwise. But by riding just 10 miles a
    day 5 days a week, on average figures, you'll loose well over a 1/2 lb per
    week.. More if you can up the effort. What's more, as you gain more lean
    muscle your BMR will rise

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Calory counter on your monitor is just a daft gimmick designed to
    appeal to techie geeks..

    Possibly so since it doesn't actually seem to be based on any real measure
    of _all_ the data available to the computer...

    But there is a danger for those that want to loose weight in that they're
    liable to go out, do their ten miles, then wash it down with two pints of
    lager and a bag of chips! If they have _SOME_ sort of numerical targets to
    monitor and maintain it does help keep a perspective on the input\output
    balance...

  15. Velvet said:

    I have to say, I've tried ELF on it's own, and it doesn't work. CycleMor
    coupled with trying ETS is still proving hard to shift *weight* but it's
    shifting flab into muscles. At some point it'll run out of muscles to
    make, at which point I'm hoping I'll see the weight start to drop, and
    then I'll be sprinting up hills like lightning (yeah.. right..)

    If you want to be Monarch Of The Mountains then it helps to be a
    whippet, but to get up hills at a fair pace just needs the right
    muscles, gears and cardiovascular backup. You can get both of the
    physiological bits most easily by... getting out and going up hills.
    And then getting out and going up hills again. And again.

    I'm no lightweight, and my bike is certainly not a lightweight, but I
    get up some evil braes faster than some lighter people on lighter bikes
    because my muscles have got me up a lot of hills in their time (on one
    local CTC meet which took in the nasty climb from Balmerino the ride
    organiser told me people had asked her if 'bents were particularly good
    at climbing having seen me go up!).

    There's no substitute for practice when it comes to getting up hills. I
    know the hills where you are (my cousins stay in Betchworth, near
    Reigate, and we go over the scarps of the Downs to visit them) and that
    they really are evil, but if you get practice in at getting up them
    you'll get a lot better and you'll get better fast. Just go out if
    you've got a spare half an hour and head up the nearest one and see how
    you do. If you can't go on it's downhill all the way home. Next time
    see if you can get as far, or maybe a little further.

    And your muscles don't need to be big if you have low gears, they just
    need to be able to keep spinning, which is far more about stamina and
    aerobic workout than power and strength. Compare Paula Radcliffe's
    muscles to a sprinters for evidence. Again the case that the best way
    to train to get these for hills is by going up hills.

    Quoted message said:

    lovely and thin again...

    The 2 don't necessarily equate. Being thin is a means to an end, not an
    end in itself. And if you can achieve the end without being a stick,
    why worry about being a stick?

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  16. Peter Clinch wrote:

    <much snipped>

    Quoted message said:


    And your muscles don't need to be big if you have low gears, they just
    need to be able to keep spinning, which is far more about stamina and
    aerobic workout than power and strength. Compare Paula Radcliffe's
    muscles to a sprinters for evidence. Again the case that the best way
    to train to get these for hills is by going up hills.

    True, but my bike doesn't have ultraultralow gears, despite a triple.
    Yes, I know, it's hill practice I need, specially after seeing the
    improvements on the flat. I know I've improved on hills, it might be a
    different set of hills giving the impression I'm back at square one, of
    course....

    I don't mind really, I'll get there in the end. I know it'd be easier
    hauling me and the bike up hills if it wasn't for the flab I'm carrying
    though! Quite chuffed to have just realised I was doing the increased
    speed on the flat c/with a pannier, something I've not had the last
    couple of times I've been out and faster than before but slower than
    sunday... woohoo, big improvments indeed!

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    lovely and thin again...

    The 2 don't necessarily equate. Being thin is a means to an end, not an
    end in itself. And if you can achieve the end without being a stick,
    why worry about being a stick?

    Cos I want to be thinner than I am right now ;-) It'll be healthier for
    me, for a start.

    Quoted message said:


    Pete.

    --

    Velvet

  17. Quoted message said:

    I have to say, I've tried ELF on it's own, and it doesn't work.
    CycleMor coupled with trying ETS is still proving hard to shift *weight*
    but it's shifting flab into muscles.

    Whis is probably good..... weight is a limited indicator...

    Slim-ish is good In my estimation, but most women who have a good
    underlaying structure can carry the odd pound or two to good effect.... IMHO
    that is...

  18. Velvet said:

    Cos I want to be thinner than I am right now ;-) It'll be healthier for
    me, for a start.

    But note that "thinner than I am right now" and "not a stick" are /not/
    mutually exclusive terms unless you're already verging on stickness,
    which you rather imply you're not.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  19. On 20/7/04 11:05 am, in article [email hidden], "Peter

    Clinch said:

    If you want to be Monarch Of The Mountains then it helps to be a
    whippet, but to get up hills at a fair pace just needs the right
    muscles, gears and cardiovascular backup. You can get both of the
    physiological bits most easily by... getting out and going up hills.
    And then getting out and going up hills again. And again.

    I'm no lightweight, and my bike is certainly not a lightweight, but I
    get up some evil braes faster than some lighter people on lighter bikes
    because my muscles have got me up a lot of hills in their time (on one
    local CTC meet which took in the nasty climb from Balmerino the ride
    organiser told me people had asked her if 'bents were particularly good
    at climbing having seen me go up!).

    Dundee isn't reknowned for being flat (the last Milk Race/Pru tour used the
    climb up the Law as the prologue) so Pete and I certainly get lots of hill
    practise.

    I was absolutely pants at hills so I set out to improve my cardiovascular
    and legs by doing a circuit that included the local hill. (fortunately this
    is less than a mile from my house so I can bail out and go home when I get
    bored/run out of time) The first time I did it without having to stop was a
    major achievement. After doing this for a few weeks I would expect to be
    able to do it without stopping. Then I changed the rules. They now say 'no
    stopping' so I have to keep moving. Then the number of climbs increased so I
    would be able to go out for about an hour and do the circuit three, then
    four then five times. I haven't done it for a while but the training it gave
    enabled me to ride much better on my commute (the way home is all uphill)
    and helps on longer rides.

    Helped shift a bunch of weight too.. to the point that people at work
    started commenting. (8" off the waist and two and a half stone [20cm and 15
    kilos] If I lose another inch I'll have to go and get more holes in the belt
    for the third time).

    As for the ELF diet, it works to a point. But if you eat too much less the
    body will think it is being starved and not burn up the reserves so quickly.
    So I developed a new variant - ELFEOS which is 'ELF except on Sundays'.
    Alcohol is limited to the number of units per week being less than the
    number of pounds weight lost in the last month. ELFEOS persuades the body
    that there is still plenty of food available so there is no famine.

    I find that fat is not the problem but processed carbohydrate is. So I avoid
    most bread/biscuits, all sugar, limit the amount of potatoes. Eat loads of
    fresh fruit and veg, and plenty of protein.

    The discipline is the key thing. It takes me about two weeks to settle into
    a change of diet (ie stopping that mid afternoon chocolate bar) so that it
    feels normal. The first week is tough, the second week is worse, the third
    week is easy.

    ...d

  20. Peter Clinch said:
    Velvet said:

    Cos I want to be thinner than I am right now ;-) It'll be healthier
    for me, for a start.

    But note that "thinner than I am right now" and "not a stick" are /not/
    mutually exclusive terms unless you're already verging on stickness,
    which you rather imply you're not.

    Pete.


    Um, indeed :-)

    I *used* to be a stick. It's possible if I ramp up the cycling to the
    ultra-serious addict level then I'd eventually be stick-insectish again,
    but I seriously doubt my body's capable of going back to that, given the
    physiological changes over the years etc.

    Slim would suit me fine. I'm just bored of slowing lugging the flab up
    the hills with me ;-)

    --

    Velvet

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.