General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Calorie Intake

Started by Suze · · Last activity · 253 posts · 21,125 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
8 July 2005
Last activity
25 December 2005
Original author
Suze
Posts
253
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
21,125
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 161–180 of 253
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Quoted message said:
    Bob (this one) said:
    Tori M said:

    > Though I've always though that food stamps, or their equivalent, should
    > ONLY be redeemable for the blandest, most stultifyingly nutritious food
    > available - basically Purina People Chow. I doubt it would be
    > low-carb, and don't care.
    >
    > KeS

    Obviously you have never had to be on food stamps.

    I haven't had to be, but the comment hit me pretty badly. As though
    people should be indiscriminately punished for being poor, having a
    bad patch or being unable to carry on as the poster would like them to.

    Giving people nutritous food is punishing them how, exactly?

    What a charitable soul you are. I think you should be given some of "the
    blandest, most stultifyingly nutritious food available - basically
    Purina People Chow" available.

    Giving people barely palatable nutritious food is punishing them in the
    context you offered. The "don't care" part is where you really shine as
    an example to us all. I find that sneering at misfortune and the people
    consumed by it is a fine way to bolster my own self-respect. How about
    you...?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Do unto others as you would have...

    I always do.

    Oh, right. Your own words indict you. You do if you have no other
    choice, it looks like

    Pastorio

  2. "Bob (this one)" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Bob (this one) said:

    Tori M wrote:

    >> Though I've always though that food stamps, or their equivalent,


    should

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> ONLY be redeemable for the blandest, most stultifyingly nutritious


    food

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> available - basically Purina People Chow. I doubt it would be
    >> low-carb, and don't care.
    >>
    >> KeS
    >
    > Obviously you have never had to be on food stamps.

    I haven't had to be, but the comment hit me pretty badly. As though
    people should be indiscriminately punished for being poor, having a
    bad patch or being unable to carry on as the poster would like them to.

    Giving people nutritous food is punishing them how, exactly?

    What a charitable soul you are. I think you should be given some of "the
    blandest, most stultifyingly nutritious food available - basically
    Purina People Chow" available.

    Giving people barely palatable nutritious food is punishing them in the
    context you offered. The "don't care" part is where you really shine as
    an example to us all. I find that sneering at misfortune and the people
    consumed by it is a fine way to bolster my own self-respect. How about
    you...?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Do unto others as you would have...

    I always do.

    Oh, right. Your own words indict you. You do if you have no other
    choice, it looks like

    I don't think you should be able to buy candy, soda pop, chips, etc. with
    food stamps, I'm not sure where the line should be but fruit, veggies, meat,
    milk, eggs, etc. should be ok.

    --
    No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

  3. "None Given" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    JC Der Koenig said:
    Quoted message said:

    High school mathematics.

    I used to have dreams about solving differential equations by parts, now
    it'll be nightmares.

    Which part of "high school mathematics" did you not understand?

  4. Bob (this one) said:
    Quoted message said:
    Bob (this one) said:

    Tori M wrote:

    >> Though I've always though that food stamps, or their equivalent, should
    >> ONLY be redeemable for the blandest, most stultifyingly nutritious food
    >> available - basically Purina People Chow. I doubt it would be low-carb,
    >> and don't care.
    >>
    >> KeS
    >
    > Obviously you have never had to be on food stamps.

    I haven't had to be, but the comment hit me pretty badly. As though people
    should be indiscriminately punished for being poor, having a bad patch or
    being unable to carry on as the poster would like them to.

    Giving people nutritous food is punishing them how, exactly?

    What a charitable soul you are. I think you should be given some of "the
    blandest, most stultifyingly nutritious food available - basically Purina
    People Chow" available.

    I wouldn't eat it - right now, I can afford nicer food. If I needed it,
    I'd be damned grateful for it.

    Quoted message said:

    Giving people barely palatable nutritious food is punishing them in the
    context you offered.

    Really? Instead of allowing them to redeem foodstamps for beer or
    popsicles? Interesting perspective.

    Quoted message said:

    The "don't care" part is where you really shine as an
    example to us all.

    I don't care that subsistence-level food be offered to fit a minority diet
    plan such as low-carb. In that context, low-carb is a luxury, not a
    necessity. For people with demonstrated allergies or
    illnesses, different story.

    Quoted message said:

    I find that sneering at misfortune and the people consumed
    by it is a fine way to bolster my own self-respect.

    Yes, I've noticed that.

    Quoted message said:

    How about you...?

    Not so much.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Do unto others as you would have...

    I always do.

    Oh, right. Your own words indict you. You do if you have no other choice, it
    looks like

    I always treat everyone I interact with exactly as I'd hope they treat me.
    If I were in such grave financial straits as to require food charity - and
    I chose to accept it - I'd be damned grateful I was getting that support,
    whatever it was. I certainly wouldn't be complaining that it was
    fortified oatmeal, or whatever "Purina People Chow" would translate as.
    I'd figure that was, by definition, the most economical and widely
    available sustenance the government could provide, to help out as many
    people as possible, and I certainly wouldn't feel entitled to use that
    largesse to buy luxury food items. That's me. YMMV.

    KeS


  5. Quoted message said:

    I don't think you should be able to buy candy, soda pop, chips, etc. with
    food stamps, I'm not sure where the line should be but fruit, veggies,


    meat,

    Quoted message said:

    milk, eggs, etc. should be ok.

    I have been lectured by people about buying frozen veggies on food stamps.
    Who cares that most of they time they are healthier and cheaper. I can feed
    our whole family AND have left overs on 1.00.. but not low carb and most of
    it I would concider junk

    Tori

    --
    Xavier- 10/27/05 "Oooohh whats that on the floor? a dime? Yummy!"
    Bonnie- 03/20/02 "Mommy look a cloud worm is eating the care bears"
    349.5/315.5/135


  6. Quoted message said:

    Really? Instead of allowing them to redeem foodstamps for beer or
    popsicles? Interesting perspective.


    You can not buy beer on foodstamps and if you have enough left over for
    popsicles then you are doing good that month.

    Quoted message said:

    I'd figure that was, by definition, the most economical and widely
    available sustenance the government could provide, to help out as many
    people as possible, and I certainly wouldn't feel entitled to use that
    largesse to buy luxury food items. That's me. YMMV.

    I have been told hamburger and frozen veggies are luxury's... do you agree?

    Tori

    --
    Xavier- 10/27/05 "Oooohh whats that on the floor? a dime? Yummy!"
    Bonnie- 03/20/02 "Mommy look a cloud worm is eating the care bears"
    349.5/315.5/135

  7. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Tori M said:


    Quoted message said:

    Though I've always though that food stamps, or their equivalent, should
    ONLY be redeemable for the blandest, most stultifyingly nutritious food
    available - basically Purina People Chow. I doubt it would be


    low-carb,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and don't care.

    KeS


    Obviously you have never had to be on food stamps.

    Tori

    Nobody "has" to be on food stamps. You always have alternatives, up to
    and including dying in the gutter. Beyond that, you don't know [censored] about
    me, so saying that is "obvious" is no more accurate than the statement
    about a fixed diet being suboptimal for "all organisms".

    Yes your right.. right now we dont get food stamps despite the fact that we
    qualify.. why? Because we CAN make it without them.. we just are in a bad
    spot right now :-/ We keep considering going to reapply.. I dont know..

    Tori

    --
    Xavier- 10/27/05 "Oooohh whats that on the floor? a dime? Yummy!"
    Bonnie- 03/20/02 "Mommy look a cloud worm is eating the care bears"
    349.5/315.5/135

  8. In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Kevin Stevens said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > In article <[email hidden]>,
    > "Bob (this one)" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >
    >> [email hidden] wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> The best and most nutritional diet for any organism consists of
    >>>> VARIETY!
    >>>
    >>> Um - what? The vast majority of critters on this planet have either
    >>> very limited or completely restricted food sources. Everything from a
    >>> flea to a blue whale contradicts your assertion.
    >>
    >> And you think that reality has anything to do with theoretical
    >> nutrition? Jeez... What if everybody thought like that?
    >>
    >> No, seriously...
    >>
    >> Pastorio
    >
    > So, what would y'all suggest we "limit" our diets to as a single food
    > product? Might save us all on our grocery bills.
    >
    > <smirk>

    Wipe the smirk off - I didn't, nor would, suggest limiting human diets
    to a single food. I just took issue with the blatantly inaccurate "any
    organism" generalisation.

    Ok, let's say, for most land animals in the Phylum "vertibrata".
    That way you eliminate most of the parasites...

    (laughing) Yes, and you've eliminated over 80% of the types of organisms,
    and an overwhelming amount of the biomass. So you've gone from "any
    organism" to "a small minority of organisms". Let me know when that
    position of yours stabilizes, and we'll talk.

    Even at that, the majority of your new selection have an extremely
    restricted diet, omnivores are in a decided minority. Studies of grazers
    on the African veldt, or your neighbors pasture, show decided and
    dedicated specialization in food types among the herbivores. Many birds
    have extremely specialized diets, and even physical variations to
    accommodate them.

    Why can't you just admit you scoped your original statement badly, and
    move on?

    KeS

    Nevermind... ;-)
    You are having WAY too much fun!

    And yes, I'm enough of a biologist to know that I exagerrated my
    original statement.

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  9. In article <[email hidden]>,

    JC Der Koenig said:

    "None Given" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    JC Der Koenig said:

    > High school mathematics.

    I used to have dreams about solving differential equations by parts, now
    it'll be nightmares.

    Which part of "high school mathematics" did you not understand?

    Hmmmmm.... I saw differential equations when I was in high school.
    Are you teaching the classes for dummies? :-)

    High school students used to have Calculus and Trig' available when I
    went to High School! Has our school system been "dumbed down" that much
    now? :-(
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  10. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Tori M said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Tori M said:


    > Though I've always though that food stamps, or their equivalent, should
    > ONLY be redeemable for the blandest, most stultifyingly nutritious food
    > available - basically Purina People Chow. I doubt it would be


    low-carb,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > and don't care.
    >
    > KeS
    Obviously you have never had to be on food stamps.

    Tori

    Nobody "has" to be on food stamps. You always have alternatives, up to
    and including dying in the gutter. Beyond that, you don't know [censored] about
    me, so saying that is "obvious" is no more accurate than the statement
    about a fixed diet being suboptimal for "all organisms".

    Yes your right.. right now we dont get food stamps despite the fact that we
    qualify.. why? Because we CAN make it without them.. we just are in a bad
    spot right now :-/ We keep considering going to reapply.. I dont know..

    Tori

    I pay my taxes to help good people like you dear. :-)
    Please DO go apply if you qualify!

    And don't forget to check the food banks..... Our local ones are
    excellent.
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  11. You didn't see partial differential equations in high school.

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    JC Der Koenig said:

    "None Given" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "> JC Der Koenig wrote:
    > > High school mathematics.

    I used to have dreams about solving differential equations by parts,
    now
    it'll be nightmares.

    Which part of "high school mathematics" did you not understand?

    Hmmmmm.... I saw differential equations when I was in high school.
    Are you teaching the classes for dummies? :-)

    High school students used to have Calculus and Trig' available when I
    went to High School! Has our school system been "dumbed down" that much
    now? :-(
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack
    Nicholson

  12. Quoted message said:

    I pay my taxes to help good people like you dear. :-)
    Please DO go apply if you qualify!

    And don't forget to check the food banks..... Our local ones are
    excellent.
    --

    We were waiting to see if jeff got the raise he was expecting.. he was
    promised 1.25 more by a supervisor but only got 40 cents.. needless to say
    jeff was mad... if he had got the 1.25 we would not still qualify... he is
    going to talk to the personel manager on monday

    Tori

    --
    Xavier- 10/27/05 "Oooohh whats that on the floor? a dime? Yummy!"
    Bonnie- 03/20/02 "Mommy look a cloud worm is eating the care bears"
    349.5/315.5/135

  13. In article <[email hidden]>,

    JC Der Koenig said:

    You didn't see partial differential equations in high school.

    I've not had to regularly deal with anything other than simple Algebra
    formulas at my job...... mainly for doing quantitative clinical
    chemistry, and it's been nearly 20 years since I've had to deal with
    higher math.

    Please explain what those are?

    And yes, I really am interested.

    I do occasionally have to delve into Stoichiometry and have to hit the
    textbooks for that. We keep them available. ;-)
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  14. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Tori M said:
    Quoted message said:

    I pay my taxes to help good people like you dear. :-)
    Please DO go apply if you qualify!

    And don't forget to check the food banks..... Our local ones are
    excellent.
    --

    We were waiting to see if jeff got the raise he was expecting.. he was
    promised 1.25 more by a supervisor but only got 40 cents.. needless to say
    jeff was mad... if he had got the 1.25 we would not still qualify... he is
    going to talk to the personel manager on monday

    Tori

    But would the food stamps be worth more than his additional raise in
    actual dollar amount???

    Food banks BTW do NOT check your income! You can show up in the lines
    and they will give you food.

    And if you do volunteer work for them, you get first pick. ;-)

    My dad used to do that. He got a lot of fresh produce that way as it
    tended to spoil too quickly so got discarded.
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  15. "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    JC Der Koenig said:

    You didn't see partial differential equations in high school.

    Please explain what those are?

    Pieces of derivatives stuck together in the same equation?

    The best examples are second order physics equations like Laplace's equation
    about elliptics.

  16. "Tori M" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have been told hamburger and frozen veggies are luxury's... do you


    agree?

    Of course not, they sound like good choices to me.

    --
    No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes

  17. "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    JC Der Koenig said:

    You didn't see partial differential equations in high school.

    I may not have, back in the 70s, but my son did.

    Quoted message said:

    I've not had to regularly deal with anything other than simple Algebra
    formulas at my job...... mainly for doing quantitative clinical
    chemistry, and it's been nearly 20 years since I've had to deal with
    higher math.

    Please explain what those are?

    And yes, I really am interested.

    I do occasionally have to delve into Stoichiometry and have to hit the
    textbooks for that. We keep them available. ;-)
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack


    Nicholson

  18. "None Given" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    JC Der Koenig said:

    You didn't see partial differential equations in high school.

    I may not have, back in the 70s, but my son did.

    I find it highly improbable. Partial differential equations are taught
    after the Calculus series, and most high schools only cover the first
    section and part of the second. But go ahead and convince me with the
    details.

  19. "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Tori M said:
    Quoted message said:

    I pay my taxes to help good people like you dear. :-)
    Please DO go apply if you qualify!

    And don't forget to check the food banks..... Our local ones are
    excellent.
    --

    We were waiting to see if jeff got the raise he was expecting.. he was
    promised 1.25 more by a supervisor but only got 40 cents.. needless to


    say

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    jeff was mad... if he had got the 1.25 we would not still qualify... he


    is

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    going to talk to the personel manager on monday

    Tori

    But would the food stamps be worth more than his additional raise in
    actual dollar amount???

    yup it would.. we need to get taxes fixed we have too much taken out and
    stop with the 401k and also convince the student loan people we are too poor
    to have his wages garnished.

    Tori

    --
    Xavier- 10/27/05 "Oooohh whats that on the floor? a dime? Yummy!"
    Bonnie- 03/20/02 "Mommy look a cloud worm is eating the care bears"
    349.5/315.5/135

  20. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Tori M said:

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Tori M said:

    > I pay my taxes to help good people like you dear. :-)
    > Please DO go apply if you qualify!
    >
    > And don't forget to check the food banks..... Our local ones are
    > excellent.
    > --

    We were waiting to see if jeff got the raise he was expecting.. he was
    promised 1.25 more by a supervisor but only got 40 cents.. needless to


    say

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    jeff was mad... if he had got the 1.25 we would not still qualify... he


    is

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    going to talk to the personel manager on monday

    Tori

    But would the food stamps be worth more than his additional raise in
    actual dollar amount???

    yup it would.. we need to get taxes fixed we have too much taken out and
    stop with the 401k and also convince the student loan people we are too poor
    to have his wages garnished.

    Tori

    Ugh!

    Sounds like you have your work cut out for you!

    You have babies, do you get WIC?
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.