General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Calphalon Caveat Query

Started by EskWIRED · · Last activity · 27 posts · 918 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
17 January 2004
Last activity
25 January 2004
Original author
EskWIRED
Posts
27
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
918
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–27 of 27
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Quoted message said:
    Doug Freyburger said:

    The strength of the hard anodized coating is it is mechanically HARD. It is the same chemical as
    sapphire (or was it garnet). Extremely hard so it lasts and lasts. If you use stainless steel
    spatula you can end up wearing down the stainless steel and getting marks on the pan that are
    actually stainless steel scraped off of the spatula.

    Quoted message said:

    Unfortunately the weakness of the hard anodized coating is that it is not particularly resistant
    to either bases or acids. Put it through the dishwasher enough and the basic detergent will
    gradually etch the surface down. Cook enough tomatoes and the acidic sauce will gradually etch
    the surface down.

    So sapphires (or is it garnets?) are made of aluminum ozide?

    Magnalite's claim to fame is it uses magnesium instead of aluminum in its anodization process.
    More resistant to chemical etching with little sacrafice in mechanical hardness. So its something
    in the range of (aluminim and/or magnesium) (oxide and/or silicate). I don't know the exact
    chemistry of gems.

    I've never considered cleaning my rings in the dishwasher, but now I know it would be a bad idea.
    Shrug, I clean my eyeglasses in the dishwasher every month or two because I have oily skin and it
    just builds up. Folks bug me about that. May as well not give them soemthing to bug me about for
    my jewelry.

    Quoted message said:

    I've used my new pans a few times since I got them. I like them a lot. I like the fact that they
    are very simple, being just machined aluminum with a handle riveted on, and that the utility comes
    from the design, rather than from gimmicks. They distribute the heat well, and because of the
    design, the handles stay quite cool. Now that I know the properties of the anodized coating, I
    think that is pretty cool too.

    Well made sure. It is a matter of personal tastes, but I think I live in the wrong century to
    tolerate anything in my kitchen that is not dishwasher safe. So I've slowly shifted to pans covered
    with stainless steel. I struggle with the idea that my knives are an exception to this wrong-century
    rule. Some day over the rainbow I may get around to swapping them out one by one, even if it results
    in slightly lower quality. Sabatier and Henckels 4-star are nice, but they don't go in the machine.

  2. On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 11:12:31 -0800, Jeff Bienstadt
    <[email hidden]> arranged random neurons, so they looked like
    this:

    Quoted message said:

    When you find you need to replace them, you're not likely to find them at such a good price. Keep
    them out of the dishwasher and you should never have to replace them at all.


    IIRC when I worked at a cookery shop, Calphalon will replace *any* piece that becomes
    discolored, etc. We had a guy come in who had clearly used the pan on a campfire and Calphalon
    replaced it. <shrug>

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret had been as old as the bird, and if the
    bird's breasts had been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very good dinner." Anonymous.

    To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"

  3. Quoted message said:
    In rec.food.cooking said:
    Quoted message said:


    In rec.food.cooking, Blair P. Houghton <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > Wait until you find out about the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide.

    I have heard that under certain conditions, a pool of it as little as 2 inches deep can cause
    death, and that under other conditions, an 8 ounce cup of it can cause 3d degree burns. And it
    is available over the counter in any neighborhood drug store!

    Quoted message said:

    Yet, sadly, many people are addicted to it, some taking 8 or more doses per day. If they don't
    get their doses, they go through painful withdrawal, frequently ending in death.

    In times past, whole villages have been destroyed.

    And yet, as eminent scientists have pointed out,

    Nature is passing strange.

    --Blair "Never touch the stuff."

  4. "Matt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In rec.food.cooking, [email hidden] wrote:


    with them over a campfire and not worry too much...

    Quoted message said:


    Sorry to follow up my own post, but I just had another look on amazon. There's another couple of
    cheap pieces there. For example, there's a Calphalon Commercial Hard-Anodized 8-1/2-Quart
    Saucier with Lid for $40, which they claim is regularly $180. And there's a Nonstick 10-Inch
    International Griddle/Crepe Pan for $26.

    Actually, the prices are low because Calphalon is discontinuing that style. That style of
    Calphalon commerical is on sale everywhere. I got a nice 5.5 qt saucepan at the Bon Marche at a
    good discount, but it was the very last that they had. The new-style Calphalon Commercial has a
    different handle (shinier and rounder) and different lids (domed glass, I believe).

    -Matt

    That sucks. I like my metal lids.

    -L.

  5. -L. said:

    "Matt" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In rec.food.cooking, [email hidden] wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    [...] there's a Calphalon Commercial Hard-Anodized 8-1/2-Quart Saucier with Lid for $40, which
    they claim is regularly $180. And there's a Nonstick 10-Inch International Griddle/Crepe Pan
    for $26.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Actually, the prices are low because Calphalon is discontinuing that style. That style of
    Calphalon commerical is on sale everywhere.


    [...]

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The new-style Calphalon Commercial has a different handle (shinier and rounder) and different
    lids (domed glass, I believe).

    Quoted message said:

    That sucks. I like my metal lids.

    We throw glass lids away and replace them with sturdy, functional, ugly, easy to store metal lids
    from our favorite restaurant supply store, which has them in assorted sizes from "isn't that cute"
    to "you're not bringing THAT thing into MY kitchen!".

    I'll be mildly surprised if Calphalon's _actual_ commercial line includes glass lids.

    Martin
    --
    Martin Golding | I cook, therefore I am. You eat. DoD #236 BMWMOA #55952 SMTC #2 | What's
    THAT supposed to prove?

  6. In rec.food.cooking said:

    And yet, as eminent scientists have pointed out,

    I always thoght that was WC Fields?

    --
    ...I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

    - The Who

  7. Quoted message said:
    In rec.food.cooking said:

    And yet, as eminent scientists have pointed out,

    Quoted message said:


    I always thoght that was WC Fields?

    Like casting schtick before schveinen.

    --Blair "Try your waitresse and don't forget to tip the veal."

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.