Cambridgeshire/Suffolk Cycling

Cory Miller

Guest
I'm looking to relocate in the next year or so. In preparation, are there any decent on-/off-road
cycling paths in the greater Cambridgeshire/Suffolk area?

Thanks very much in advance.

Cheers, Cory

Cory Miller wrote:
> I'm looking to relocate in the next year or so. In preparation, are there any decent on-/off-road
> cycling paths in the greater Cambridgeshire/Suffolk area?
>
> Thanks very much in advance.
>
> Cheers, Cory

er, well... most of Cambridge for a start... they are all mad students, but pretty much as many
bikes as cars there - and lots of cycle paths.

--
Succorso

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Succorso wrote:

> Cory Miller wrote:
> > I'm looking to relocate in the next year or so. In preparation, are there any decent
> > on-/off-road cycling paths in the greater Cambridgeshire/Suffolk area?
> >
> > Thanks very much in advance.
> >
> > Cheers, Cory
>
> er, well... most of Cambridge for a start... they are all mad students, but pretty much as many
> bikes as cars there - and lots of cycle paths.

The Cambridge Cycling Campaign website might be of interest:

http://www.camcycle.org.uk/

By cycle paths, are you meaning cycle-friendly infrastructure for getting about, or are you meaning
nice places for recreational rides?

There are a lot of cycle lanes, cycle tracks and sh*r*d us* p*v*m*nts in "greater" Cambridge and the
city centre. There can be a lot of traffic, but motorists tend to be used to cyclists and pretty
good at sharing the road with us. Lots of our local councillors cycle, so the facilities are usually
- although not quite always - of an acceptable standard.

If you're after recreational routes - and don't want any hills - Cambridgeshire has plenty of
relatively empty country roads. I'm not particularly fussy, but it certainly keeps me satisfied.

In Cambridge itself, cycle theft is a big problem, but not one I've been unfortunate enough to
experience.

--
Daniel Auger - [email protected] (Please remove Granta to get a valid address.)

"Daniel Auger" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> In Cambridge itself, cycle theft is a big problem, but not one I've been unfortunate enough to
> experience.

Seems to be a problem in University cities/towns - for that reason if you live in or visit houses in
Reading you find most bicycles are kept *inside* the house - even if it means carrying them up
several stairwells!

Unfortunately, IMO the students *themselves* are part of the problem. Many of them would not think
twice of buying a "cheap bike" even if it may well be stolen, if it reduces the impact transport
costs may have on their funding source.

Whilst university may instil intellectual values into its students, these days it is certainly not a
breeding ground for *moral* values!

Incidentally no offence meant to the OP - but I speak from experience in Reading and a youth spent
organising raves and other events - some of my friends (who were not exactly angels themselves!)
were shocked at the behaviour and values of students!

Alex

Cory Miller wrote:
> I'm looking to relocate in the next year or so. In preparation, are there any decent on-/off-road
> cycling paths in the greater Cambridgeshire/Suffolk area?

If you don't mind it flat ;-) For off-road the CTC run weekly evening rides which will get you
familiar with the trails around Cambridge. For on-road ditto several times a week. Don't have it to
hand but do a Google for the Cambridge CTC rides list.

Tony

--
"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain