Tim Nunes said:Hello!
Christmas is coming up, and I am curious if I should ask for a
Camelback. My typical bike rides durring the warmer seasons are 30
miles long and last about 1 hour and 45 minutes. I usually bring along
a bottle of gatorade and I always finish it and am still thirsty at the
end. I realize you can't put gatorade in a Camelback (too much sugar)
but water is fine anyway.
So my question is, are Camelbacks good for a situation like that? Is it
too heavy to carry around that long?
Thanks for your input.
For regular road riding in mild weather I wouldn't bother with it.
The main advantage of a Camelback is for mountain biking, particularly
racing, where you want to drink without taking your hands off the bars.
You can also carry more water than with water bottles.
Another advantage, discussed here recently, is to prevent disease from
dirt that gets on your water bottles while riding off road -- animal
feces, giardia and other bugs from stream crossings, etc.
A Camelback gets the weight off the bike, which can be helpful for
technical off-road riding, particularly steep, bumpy climbs. On smoother
trails it doesn't matter, and on paved roads it's a non-issue.
On the west coast I used a Camelback all the time. But here I hardly ever
use it, because the trails aren't as steep or bumpy, the mountain bike
rides I do are shorter, and the air isn't as dry so I don't need as much
water. I do find the backpack handy for running errands though, when I
don't need my larger backpack.
Matt O.