Camera cases

Mattb

Guest
I have a new toy (Sony DSC-P72) and I want to get a little case I could maybe mount on my camelbak
shoulder strap. This way I could access it without taking the pack off. Does anyone know of anything
that would do this well? I've seen some cases online, but it's hard to tell how it might perform in
this respect.

More fresh pictures comin' right up!

Thanks!

--

Matt

"Gravity. It's not just a good idea, it's the law!"

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have a new toy (Sony DSC-P72) and I want to get a little case I could maybe mount on my camelbak
> shoulder strap. This way I could access it without taking the pack off. Does anyone know of
> anything that would do
this
> well? I've seen some cases online, but it's hard to tell how it might perform in this respect.
>
> More fresh pictures comin' right up!
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
>
> Matt
>
> "Gravity. It's not just a good idea, it's the law!"

I've found either a hip mounted case with beltloops or a zippered breast pocket on a shirt or vest
to be very suitable and easy to reach. There's a slight chance that falling will kill it but you
could endo onto a camera in a pack too. Usually I put the camera in a ziploc baggie to protect
against perspiration.
--
Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

"MattB" wrote in message ...
> I have a new toy (Sony DSC-P72) and I want to get a little case I could maybe mount on my camelbak
> shoulder strap. This way I could access it without taking the pack off. Does anyone know of
> anything that would do this well? I've seen some cases online, but it's hard to tell how it might
> perform in this respect.
>
> More fresh pictures comin' right up!
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
>
> Matt
>
> "Gravity. It's not just a good idea, it's the law!"

I use a small case from Lowepro, which I keep on the sternum strap of the camelbak with a short
camera strap around my neck (just long enough to be useful but not so long that it acts as a branch
attractor). It stays there well and seems to avoid damage when I fall off - which is a lot more
often that I'd like.

Rob

a few pic from recent rides are here http://au.geocities.com/kanangara/rides/

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have a new toy (Sony DSC-P72) and I want to get a little case I could maybe mount on my camelbak
> shoulder strap. This way I could access it without taking the pack off. Does anyone know of
> anything that would do
this
> well? I've seen some cases online, but it's hard to tell how it might perform in this respect.
>
> More fresh pictures comin' right up!
>
> Thanks!

I've used one of those Camelbak Comm Pockets that velcros to the shoulder strap for holding a
camera. It's not padded but it keeps it secure. I usually give the camera to someone to take a pic
if I'm doing something dangerous.

Mike - "I told you, I can only do this trick once!!!" - Daffy Duck

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have a new toy (Sony DSC-P72) and I want to get a little case I could maybe mount on my camelbak
> shoulder strap. This way I could access it without taking the pack off. Does anyone know of
> anything that would do
this
> well? I've seen some cases online, but it's hard to tell how it might perform in this respect.

Those lowepro cases are quite well padded. I keep a digital camera in the top of my main camelbak
pocket, and it survived a quite spectacular tumble in Scotland at the weekend, although I believe my
head broke most of the fall.

That doesn't really answer your question, but just wanted to recommend you treat yourself to a
little telescopic mini tripod. I picked one up for about 10 quid a couple of months back and it's
perfect for those self-timer group shots.

Fleagle

MattB wrote:
> I have a new toy (Sony DSC-P72) and I want to get a little case I could maybe mount on my camelbak
> shoulder strap. This way I could access it without taking the pack off. Does anyone know of
> anything that would do this well? I've seen some cases online, but it's hard to tell how it might
> perform in this respect.
>
> More fresh pictures comin' right up!
>
> Thanks!

REI has these quite nifty hard cases that come in a variety of sizes. They clip to a Cbak strap
no problem.

http://a1072.g.akamai.net/f/1072/2062/1h/gallery.rei.com/regularimages/660136.jpg

They work well for the smaller digicams. My Canon g1 is a bit too big for those. Not from a fit
standpoint, but from a weight standpoint.

Odd you mention camera cases, just yesterday I bought a Lowepro case for the BIG camera and did a
maiden voyage with it last evening. Worked well, but I felt like a marsupial!

Michael Dart scrawled in bright red lipstick:

> I've used one of those Camelbak Comm Pockets that velcros to the shoulder strap for holding a
> camera. It's not padded but it keeps it secure. I usually give the camera to someone to take a pic
> if I'm doing something dangerous.
>
> Mike - "I told you, I can only do this trick once!!!" - Daffy Duck

Mike- you have a link for that?I'd like to see how it's done.

Penny

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Rob scrawled in bright red lipstick:
> > I use a small case from Lowepro, which I keep on the sternum strap of the camelbak with a short
> > camera strap around my neck (just long enough to be useful but not so long that it acts as a
> > branch attractor). It stays there well and seems to avoid damage when I fall off - which is a
> > lot more often that I'd like.
>
> that sounds good. I've experimented with putting my little Lowe case on my camelbak sternum strap,
> but the weight of the camera pulls the strap
loose.
> You'd think the fastex queen would be able to come up with a solution but
> haven't bothered to try yet.
>
> Penny

I figured you'd have the cool solution if anyone did. I think I'm going to get one of those things
Mike mentioned. They're cheap, so if it's no good at least I'm not out much money.

Matt

MattB scrawled in bright red lipstick:
> "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Rob scrawled in bright red lipstick:
>>> I use a small case from Lowepro, which I keep on the sternum strap of the camelbak with a short
>>> camera strap around my neck (just long enough to be useful but not so long that it acts as a
>>> branch attractor). It stays there well and seems to avoid damage when I fall off - which is a
>>> lot more often that I'd like.
>>
>> that sounds good. I've experimented with putting my little Lowe case on my camelbak sternum
>> strap, but the weight of the camera pulls the strap loose. You'd think the fastex queen would be
>> able to come up with a solution but I haven't bothered to try yet.
>>
>> Penny
>>

> I figured you'd have the cool solution if anyone did. I think I'm going to get one of those things
> Mike mentioned. They're cheap, so if it's no good at least I'm not out much money.
>
> Matt

I haven't bothered to try yet. ;-) You know, the cobbbler has no shoes....

Penny

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Michael Dart scrawled in bright red lipstick:
> >>

> > I've used one of those Camelbak Comm Pockets that velcros to the shoulder strap for holding a
> > camera. It's not padded but it keeps it secure. I usually give the camera to someone to take a
> > pic if I'm doing something dangerous.
> >
> > Mike - "I told you, I can only do this trick once!!!" - Daffy Duck
>
> Mike- you have a link for that?I'd like to see how it's done.
>
> Penny

http://www.camelbak.com/rec/cb_prod.cfm?catid=6&product_id=222 for the pocket.

http://www.pbase.com/image/7893799 for me doing something dangerous. ;^)

I'd be glad to provide detail pics of the pocket if you like.

Mike

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I have a new toy (Sony DSC-P72) and I want to get a little case I could maybe mount on my camelbak
> shoulder strap. This way I could access it without taking the pack off. Does anyone know of
> anything that would do this well? I've seen some cases online, but it's hard to tell how it might
> perform in this respect.
>
> More fresh pictures comin' right up!
>
> Thanks!

Cool camera, Matt. You've seen my setup, though having apelike arms gives me an advantage for it, I
can whip the camera out and be ready to shoot in about 15 seconds. I got my cheapie case at Circuit
City. It's padded and easy to open, which was my only criteria in purchasing a case.

JD

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 12:59:44 -0400, "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Michael Dart scrawled in bright red lipstick:
>> >>

>> > I've used one of those Camelbak Comm Pockets that velcros to the shoulder strap for holding a
>> > camera. It's not padded but it keeps it secure. I usually give the camera to someone to take a
>> > pic if I'm doing something dangerous.
>> >
>> > Mike - "I told you, I can only do this trick once!!!" - Daffy Duck
>>
>> Mike- you have a link for that?I'd like to see how it's done.
>>
>> Penny
>>

>http://www.camelbak.com/rec/cb_prod.cfm?catid=6&product_id=222 for the pocket.
>
>http://www.pbase.com/image/7893799 for me doing something dangerous. ;^)
>
>I'd be glad to provide detail pics of the pocket if you like.
>
>Mike

Why, you dirty freerider you!!

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 12:59:44 -0400, Michael Dart tapped this on a keyboard:

> http://www.pbase.com/image/7893799 for me doing something dangerous. ;^)

Cool shot!! :)

--

QUIPd 1.02: (519 of 654) -> It's always darkest before dawn. So if you're going to steal -> the
neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it.

Michael Dart scrawled in bright red lipstick:
> "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Michael Dart scrawled in bright red lipstick:
>>>>

>>> I've used one of those Camelbak Comm Pockets that velcros to the shoulder strap for holding a
>>> camera. It's not padded but it keeps it secure. I usually give the camera to someone to take a
>>> pic if I'm doing something dangerous.
>>>
>>> Mike - "I told you, I can only do this trick once!!!" - Daffy Duck
>>
>> Mike- you have a link for that?I'd like to see how it's done.
>>
>> Penny
>>

> http://www.camelbak.com/rec/cb_prod.cfm?catid=6&product_id=222 for the pocket.

can you take a pic of the back of that for how it mounts? Do you feel unbalanced at all having
someting extra on one side?
> I'd be glad to provide detail pics of the pocket if you like.

yes please, you can email them if you want.

Penny

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Michael Dart scrawled in bright red lipstick:
<snip>

> can you take a pic of the back of that for how it mounts? Do you feel unbalanced at all having
> someting extra on one side?
> > I'd be glad to provide detail pics of the pocket if you like.
>
> yes please, you can email them if you want.
>
> Penny

I'd like to see them too!

Matt

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Michael Dart scrawled in bright red lipstick:
> > "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> Michael Dart scrawled in bright red lipstick:

> >> Mike- you have a link for that?I'd like to see how it's done.
> >>
> >> Penny
> >>

> > http://www.camelbak.com/rec/cb_prod.cfm?catid=6&product_id=222 for the pocket.
> >

> can you take a pic of the back of that for how it mounts? Do you feel unbalanced at all having
> someting extra on one side?
> > I'd be glad to provide detail pics of the pocket if you like.
>
> yes please, you can email them if you want.
>
> Penny

I put 'em here for you and Matt:

http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/commpocket

The straps are 1 1/2" wide velcro. The pocket is 5" deep by 3" wide at the top and tapers to 2 1/2"
at the bottom (undesireable for camera) and 1 1/2" thick. The black sides are mesh and as I said no
padding. I don't notice the extra weight at all and it makes the camera very easy to access which
encourages picture taking.

I assume you're thinking of making a camera version. Thin padding and solid sides with some rain
flaps on the cover would be nice. If you do make them I would be on the list to buy one.

Mike - If it's not too flowery. ;^)

Michael Dart scrawled in bright red lipstick:

> I put 'em here for you and Matt:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/commpocket
>
> The straps are 1 1/2" wide velcro. The pocket is 5" deep by 3" wide at the top and tapers to 2
> 1/2" at the bottom (undesireable for camera) and 1 1/2" thick. The black sides are mesh and as I
> said no padding. I don't notice the extra weight at all and it makes the camera very easy to
> access which encourages picture taking.
>
> I assume you're thinking of making a camera version. Thin padding and solid sides with some rain
> flaps on the cover would be nice. If you do make them I would be on the list to buy one.
>
> Mike - If it's not too flowery. ;^)

more like malden powershield, a bit waterproof and padded to boot...

P.

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:17:45 -0400, "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> >http://www.pbase.com/image/7893799 for me doing something dangerous. ;^)
>> >
>> >I'd be glad to provide detail pics of the pocket if you like.
>> >
>> >Mike
>> >

>> Why, you dirty freerider you!!
>
>I wasn't dirty until after this... http://www.pbase.com/image/7777298 ;^)
>
>Mike

ouch! At least it didn't come "all the way around' on you!

hehehe, that's what you get, ya freakin filthy freerider...

Penny S scrawled in bright red lipstick:
> Michael Dart scrawled in bright red lipstick:
>>
>> I put 'em here for you and Matt:
>>
>> http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/commpocket
>>
>> The straps are 1 1/2" wide velcro. The pocket is 5" deep by 3" wide at the top and tapers to 2
>> 1/2" at the bottom (undesireable for camera) and 1 1/2" thick. The black sides are mesh and as I
>> said no padding. I don't notice the extra weight at all and it makes the camera very easy to
>> access which encourages picture taking.
>>
>> I assume you're thinking of making a camera version. Thin padding and solid sides with some rain
>> flaps on the cover would be nice. If you do make them I would be on the list to buy one.
>>
>> Mike - If it's not too flowery. ;^)
>
> more like malden powershield, a bit waterproof and padded to boot...
>
> P.

what I forgot to ask is this.. does the case shift at all? I assume there are lots of little straps
on the shoulder straps that you thread it through? Is it pretty stable and unnoticeable?

penny