General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Camera for walkers

Started by W. D. Grey · · Last activity · 226 posts · 5,087 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
20 August 2004
Last activity
25 September 2004
Original author
W. D. Grey
Posts
226
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
5,087
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 226
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Judith" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    | On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 00:06:55 +0100, Tim Jackson
    | <[email hidden]> wrote:
    |
    | >
    | >No, not even Google tells me what that one means. However, our cats
    | >say it to me regularly. You don't want feeding, do you?
    |
    | Well yes I do ..... and you couldn't tickle me behind the ear, could
    | you? (Sorry. I got a job offer today and am in a v v silly mood!)
    |
    | MTAAW - Me too! Also! As well! (Or you could just write "AOL" for
    | short)

    Oh god, I've seen all sorts of internet abbreviations in my time, but that's
    really awful... :-P

    | Sorry, I forget which newsgroup I'm in sometimes. They all have their
    | little quirks which make perfect sense in context!

    Sure they do, excuses excuses! ;-)

    | Judith

    PIFAQPNIOTLFPS!

    (Popped In For A Quick Post, Now I'm Off To Look For Paul Saunders!)

    ....HMBAHS!

    (...He Must Be Around Here Somewhere!)

    :-D

    Ste

  2. Judith wrote on Wed, 25 Aug 2004 00:10:29 +0100....

    Quoted message said:

    and you couldn't tickle me behind the ear, could
    you?

    But what would the cats say when they found out I'd been unfaithful to
    them?

    Quoted message said:

    (Sorry. I got a job offer today and am in a v v silly mood!)

    Congrats.

    Quoted message said:

    MTAAW - Me too! Also! As well! (Or you could just write "AOL" for
    short)

    Sorry, I forget which newsgroup I'm in sometimes. They all have their
    little quirks which make perfect sense in context!

    And the shed has more than most?

    --
    Tim Jackson
    [email hidden]
    (Change '.invalid' to '.co.uk' to reply direct)
    Absurd patents: visit http://www.patent.freeserve.co.uk

  3. In article <[email hidden]>, Judith
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Well yes I do ..... and you couldn't tickle me behind the ear, could
    you? (Sorry. I got a job offer today and am in a v v silly mood!)


    Good luck.
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  4. Judith said:

    Well yes I do ..... and you couldn't tickle me behind the ear, could
    you? (Sorry. I got a job offer today and am in a v v silly mood!)

    Nice one!

    <fx scratch..scratch> there, that any good?

    SteveO

    NE Climbers & walkers chat forum;
    http://www.thenmc.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php

    NMC website: http://www.thenmc.org.uk

  5. Tim Jackson said:
    Quoted message said:

    Sorry, I forget which newsgroup I'm in sometimes. They all have their
    little quirks which make perfect sense in context!

    And the shed has more than most?

    I think it was probably UMRA (The Archers) where I saw it first, but
    it may have been a sheddie who wrote it. I'm sure it's true that
    there are only 200 people posting in newsgroups. The same people crop
    up in every group I lurk in.

    Judith

  6. W. D. Grey said:

    Good luck.

    Thank you. I'll soon be able to buy some of the new toys that people
    on here keep talking about. (But I'm not spending 600 squid on a
    camera!)

    Judith

  7. "Judith" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    W. D. Grey said:

    Good luck.

    Thank you. I'll soon be able to buy some of the new toys that people
    on here keep talking about. (But I'm not spending 600 squid on a
    camera!)

    600 will only get you a toy. Real cameras cost more than most people's cars.
    --
    "As for the hexamine stove. OW! Burnt fingers again!..... and the
    bloody thing's gone out.....OW! no it hasn't." - Judith in uk.rec.walking

  8. Mark South said:

    Real cameras cost more than most people's cars.

    The best photos I've taken have been with disposable cameras costing
    less than a tenner. There's something about not having any decisions
    to make about aperture, f stops, exposure etc that means you can't go
    wrong!

    Judith

  9. "Judith" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Mark South said:

    Real cameras cost more than most people's cars.

    The best photos I've taken have been with disposable cameras costing
    less than a tenner. There's something about not having any decisions
    to make about aperture, f stops, exposure etc that means you can't go
    wrong!

    "All the mistakes are there, just waiting to be made."

    Actualy, that was said by Tartakower of the chessboard, but it aplies quite well
    to photography.

    Minimising distraction to do with technical aspects of photography is often
    useful. Which is why my Canon EOS technomarvel[TM] also includes several
    totally auto modes where all you do is point and push the button.

    But as with any technical pursuit, there comes a time when full control is a
    useful thing to have. That's the extra one pays for.

    But disposables are a good solution for hillwalking. They are cheap, light,
    easily replaceable, simple to operate when cold and hungry (unlike an EOS
    technomarvel[TM]) and the lenses are surprisingly good. a lot are waterproof as
    well, useful in the UK.
    --
    Mark South, Super Genius: World Citizen, Net Denizen

  10. In message <[email hidden]>, Mark South
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    "Judith" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    W. D. Grey said:

    Good luck.

    Thank you. I'll soon be able to buy some of the new toys that people
    on here keep talking about. (But I'm not spending 600 squid on a
    camera!)

    600 will only get you a toy. Real cameras cost more than most people's cars.

    300 will get you a film camera suitable for professional use. That's
    good enough for me :-)

    My digital camera did cost a little more.

  11. Judith said:
    W. D. Grey said:

    Good luck.

    Thank you. I'll soon be able to buy some of the new toys that people
    on here keep talking about. (But I'm not spending 600 squid on a
    camera!)

    Got mine today. I am waiting for the battery to charge before I play
    with it.
    --
    Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

  12. Mark South said:

    "Judith" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    W. D. Grey said:

    Good luck.

    Thank you. I'll soon be able to buy some of the new toys that people
    on here keep talking about. (But I'm not spending 600 squid on a
    camera!)

    600 will only get you a toy. Real cameras cost more than most people's cars.

    Real cameras have a pin hole at the front of a box, with film at the
    back. Everything else is just convenience. :-)
    --
    Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

  13. In article <[email hidden]>, Judith
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    (But I'm not spending 600 squid on a
    camera!)

    Nah! That's only the lens :-)
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  14. In article <[email hidden]>, Phil Cook
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Real cameras have a pin hole at the front of a box, with film at the
    back. Everything else is just convenience. :-)

    Yes Phil. This is where a fortnight at f 128 becomes a reality :-)
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  15. In article <[email hidden]>, Phil Cook
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Got mine today. I am waiting for the battery to charge before I play
    with it.

    Got your what Phil ?
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  16. On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 13:26:41 +0100, Phil Cook
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    | On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 10:15:42 +0100, Judith wrote:
    |
    | >On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 08:53:36 +0100, "W. D. Grey"
    | ><[email hidden]> wrote:
    | >
    | >>Good luck.
    | >
    | >Thank you. I'll soon be able to buy some of the new toys that people
    | >on here keep talking about. (But I'm not spending 600 squid on a
    | >camera!)
    |
    | Got mine today. I am waiting for the battery to charge before I play
    | with it.

    I got a smart *2hr* Ni-Mh battery charger from B&Q, charges fast until the
    voltage is high enough, then switches off. Plugs into mains or car.
    Carry one pair of batteries, two pairs if paranoid, and have another pair
    charged up in the car.

    AAs fit my GPS and camera, so everything is covered. Beats alkalines any
    day.
    --
    Dave F

  17. Dave Fawthrop said:

    | Got mine today. I am waiting for the battery to charge before I play
    | with it.

    I got a smart *2hr* Ni-Mh battery charger from B&Q, charges fast until the
    voltage is high enough, then switches off. Plugs into mains or car.
    Carry one pair of batteries, two pairs if paranoid, and have another pair
    charged up in the car.

    Got two of those.

    Quoted message said:


    AAs fit my GPS and camera, so everything is covered. Beats alkalines any
    day.

    AA's fit my old camera and GPS. Never used anything but MiMH. I have
    about seven sets of varying capacity.

    New camera is a KMinolta A2 and it takes a proprietary Li-ion battery.
    The charger is mains only. I feel a trip to Maplins to buy an inverter
    coming on.
    --
    Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

  18. W. D. Grey said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Phil Cook
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Got mine today. I am waiting for the battery to charge before I play
    with it.

    Got your what Phil ?

    KM A2 8Mpix <VBG>
    --
    Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

  19. Bitstring <[email hidden]>, from the wonderful
    person W. D. Grey <[email hidden]> said

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Judith
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    (But I'm not spending 600 squid on a
    camera!)

    Nah! That's only the lens :-)

    Then you wind up with 8 megapixels, and before you can email the
    resulting pictures to anyone, or put them on the web, you have to chuck
    away 95% of the pixels. Of course that does avoid the need for framing
    the picture.

    Plus you have something that needs a golf cart to carry it around (or
    are the latest professional models now self-propelling?).

    (OK, so my C2100-UZ isn't exactly ideal for hill walking either, but at
    least I only have to throw away 75% of the pixels. 8>.)

    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can
    Outgoing Msgs are Turing Tested,and indistinguishable from human typing.

  20. In article <[email hidden]>, GSV Three Minds in a Can

    URL: said:

    Bitstring <[email hidden]>, from the wonderful
    person W. D. Grey <[email hidden]> said

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Judith
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    (But I'm not spending 600 squid on a
    camera!)

    Nah! That's only the lens :-)

    Then you wind up with 8 megapixels, and before you can email the
    resulting pictures to anyone, or put them on the web, you have to chuck
    away 95% of the pixels. Of course that does avoid the need for framing
    the picture.

    Plus you have something that needs a golf cart to carry it around (or
    are the latest professional models now self-propelling?).

    (OK, so my C2100-UZ isn't exactly ideal for hill walking either, but at
    least I only have to throw away 75% of the pixels. 8>.)

    You could always factor in the costs of an obligatory broadband
    connection into the costs of hill walking.

    Mike Clark, <URL:http://www.path.cam.ac.uk/~mrc7/>
    --
    o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
    <\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,
    "> || _`\<,_ |__\ \> | immunology lecturer, antibody engineer and
    ` || (_)/ (_) | \corn computer user"

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.