Just got a new bike fitted with Campagnolo Veloce 10 series of running gears. I note that I would get a nasty chain noise when I am peddling on the combo of largest cog at the back and disc at the front. It seemed to be due to contact b/n the chain and the front derailleur guide. I went to the shop and the guy told me that's how it is and relates to the severe angle change and nothing much can be done about it.
Can people here confirm this finding? Does anyone else have similar issue with this setting? --
Just got a new bike fitted with Campagnolo Veloce 10 series of running gears. I note that I would get a nasty chain noise when I am peddling on the combo of largest cog at the back and disc at the front. It seemed to be due to contact b/n the chain and the front derailleur guide. I went to the shop and the guy told me that's how it is and relates to the severe angle change and nothing much can be done about it.
Can people here confirm this finding? Does anyone else have similar issue with this setting?
That's how it generally is for my Shimano geared bikes, although the der noise can be trimmed out. The advice is not to do large-large because it wears the chain and rear cog out at a faster rate.
Just got a new bike fitted with Campagnolo Veloce 10 series of running gears. I note that I would get a nasty chain noise when I am peddling on the combo of largest cog at the back and disc at the front. It seemed to be due to contact b/n the chain and the front derailleur guide. I went to the shop and the guy told me that's how it is and relates to the severe angle change and nothing much can be done about it.
Can people here confirm this finding? Does anyone else have similar issue with this setting?
That's how it generally is for my Shimano geared bikes, although the der noise can be trimmed out. The advice is not to do large-large because it wears the chain and rear cog out at a faster rate.
Thanks for the info. Good to know that I don't have a unique encounter on the Campagnolo and it also happens with Shimano, and the guy in the shop was correct. Looks like that these manufacturers are pushing for the limit and trying to get a marketing edge on a technology that isn't quite mature. Looks like that I'll just have to learn to avoid that large to large setup. --
Just got a new bike fitted with Campagnolo Veloce 10 series of running gears. I note that I would get a nasty chain noise when I am peddling on the combo of largest cog at the back and disc at the front. It seemed to be due to contact b/n the chain and the front derailleur guide. I went to the shop and the guy told me that's how it is and relates to the severe angle change and nothing much can be done about it.
Can people here confirm this finding? Does anyone else have similar issue with this setting?
That's how it generally is for my Shimano geared bikes, although the der noise can be trimmed out. The advice is not to do large-large because it wears the chain and rear cog out at a faster rate.
Thanks for the info. Good to know that I don't have a unique encounter on the Campagnolo and it also happens with Shimano, and the guy in the shop was correct. Looks like that these manufacturers are pushing for the limit and trying to get a marketing edge on a technology that isn't quite mature. Looks like that I'll just have to learn to avoid that large to large setup.
That's pretty much how it's been since the invention of derailleur shifting. It's become even more of an issue with the wider spread across a 10s cogset, but even back in the day when "ten speed" meant five cogs and two rings we were instructed to avoid the cross chain combinations.
That's pretty much how it's been since the invention of derailleur shifting. It's become even more of an issue with the wider spread across a 10s cogset, but even back in the day when "ten speed" meant five cogs and two rings we were instructed to avoid the cross chain combinations.
Sure, it makes geometric sense. But I have not encountered this issue on my old 3x8 24 speed mountain bike and was just surprised to see it on my new bike. --
Just got a new bike fitted with Campagnolo Veloce 10 series of running gears. I note that I would get a nasty chain noise when I am peddling on the combo of largest cog at the back and disc at the front. It seemed to be due to contact b/n the chain and the front derailleur guide. I went to the shop and the guy told me that's how it is and relates to the severe angle change and nothing much can be done about it.
Can people here confirm this finding? Does anyone else have similar issue with this setting?
That's how it generally is for my Shimano geared bikes, although the der noise can be trimmed out. The advice is not to do large-large because it wears the chain and rear cog out at a faster rate.
Thanks for the info. Good to know that I don't have a unique encounter on the Campagnolo and it also happens with Shimano, and the guy in the shop was correct. Looks like that these manufacturers are pushing for the limit and trying to get a marketing edge on a technology that isn't quite mature. Looks like that I'll just have to learn to avoid that large to large setup.
It's more like a physical impossibility to have the chain in a diagnal and not come into contact with the der cage or the nearest cog.
That's pretty much how it's been since the invention of derailleur shifting. It's become even more of an issue with the wider spread across a 10s cogset, but even back in the day when "ten speed" meant five cogs and two rings we were instructed to avoid the cross chain combinations.
Sure, it makes geometric sense. But I have not encountered this issue on my old 3x8 24 speed mountain bike and was just surprised to see it on my new bike.
The mountain bike has some things going for it, a smaller big ring with a shorter, wider front der cage and a longer chainstay so the angle isn't as severe.
With the campy front shifter you might be able to fuss everything into an adjustment that makes it possible to trim out any rub. But it'd be pretty sure to compromise something else, like smooth downshifts or something. Still might be worth a try if you're into fussing with a bike. Can't be any worse than adjusting a Shimano front der to work at all well.
Just got a new bike fitted with Campagnolo Veloce 10 series of running gears. I note that I would get a nasty chain noise when I am peddling on the combo of largest cog at the back and disc at the front. It seemed to be due to contact b/n the chain and the front derailleur guide. I went to the shop and the guy told me that's how it is and relates to the severe angle change and nothing much can be done about it.
Can people here confirm this finding? Does anyone else have similar issue with this setting?
A few minutes and you will know where your duplicate gears are. On my bike, Campy 9sp, there's no need to run the big/big, and the little/little is pretty close to another ratio using the big ring on the front.
My big/big combinations (53/23 or 26) run rough and noisy. --D-y
Thanks for the info. Good to know that I don't have a unique encounter on the Campagnolo and it also happens with Shimano, and the guy in the shop was correct. Looks like that these manufacturers are pushing for the limit and trying to get a marketing edge on a technology that isn't quite mature. Looks like that I'll just have to learn to avoid that large to large setup.
That's rich. You asked what is probably the most oft repeated newbie- of-newbie question, then went on to make value judgements about the manufacturer's motives.
Just got a new bike fitted with Campagnolo Veloce 10 series of running gears. I note that I would get a nasty chain noise when I am peddling on the combo of largest cog at the back and disc at the front. It seemed to be due to contact b/n the chain and the front derailleur guide. I went to the shop and the guy told me that's how it is and relates to the severe angle change and nothing much can be done about it.
Can people here confirm this finding? Does anyone else have similar issue with this setting? --
A well adjusted der will allow you to trim the FD so that there is no rub in bog-big combo byut you will wear out your chainring and cog quite quickly in this combo...go into the small ring and down a few cogs for the same ratio...that's why you have lever mounted shifters...use them.
Just got a new bike fitted with Campagnolo Veloce 10 series of running gears. I note that I would get a nasty chain noise when I am peddling on the combo of largest cog at the back and disc at the front. It seemed to be due to contact b/n the chain and the front derailleur guide. I went to the shop and the guy told me that's how it is and relates to the severe angle change and nothing much can be done about it.
Can people here confirm this finding? Does anyone else have similar issue with this setting? --
A well adjusted der will allow you to trim the FD so that there is no rub in bog-big combo byut you will wear out your chainring and cog quite quickly in this combo...go into the small ring and down a few cogs for the same ratio...that's why you have lever mounted shifters...use them.
Thanks for the info. Good to know that I don't have a unique encounter on the Campagnolo and it also happens with Shimano, and the guy in the shop was correct. Looks like that these manufacturers are pushing for the limit and trying to get a marketing edge on a technology that isn't quite mature. Looks like that I'll just have to learn to avoid that large to large setup.
That's rich. You asked what is probably the most oft repeated newbie- of-newbie question, then went on to make value judgements about the manufacturer's motives.
I admit I am a relative noob in technical biking issues. But labeling a feature and then turn around to tell you that you really shouldn't use it or discover the limitations, that's a long time marketing ploy that I am very familiar with. It has nothing to do with one's experience in cycling.
If the sales people promote 10 speed on a new bike, then I expect to be able to use without problems all 3x10 gears. I can accept the wear factor which is pure geometry but not the unique rubbing on the front derailleur that can't be adjusted out.
Anyway, it's clear this is an industry wide issue. Now I know and can now live with it. --
The mountain bike has some things going for it, a smaller big ring with a shorter, wider front der cage and a longer chainstay so the angle isn't as severe.
With the campy front shifter you might be able to fuss everything into an adjustment that makes it possible to trim out any rub. But it'd be pretty sure to compromise something else, like smooth downshifts or something. Still might be worth a try if you're into fussing with a bike. Can't be any worse than adjusting a Shimano front der to work at all well.
Thanks for the explanation. Now I understand the issue better, I will just avoid that big-big and medium-big gears. And yes, with the shorter wheelbase (or whatever you call that distance to the rear hub), the angle is certainly more marked. --
A well adjusted der will allow you to trim the FD so that there is no rub in bog-big combo byut you will wear out your chainring and cog quite quickly in this combo...go into the small ring and down a few cogs for the same ratio...that's why you have lever mounted shifters...use them.
Does any new bike still come with lever mounted shifters? --
A well adjusted der will allow you to trim the FD so that there is no rub in bog-big combo byut you will wear out your chainring and cog quite quickly in this combo...go into the small ring and down a few cogs for the same ratio...that's why you have lever mounted shifters...use them.
Does any new bike still come with lever mounted shifters?
A well adjusted der will allow you to trim the FD so that there is no rub in bog-big combo byut you will wear out your chainring and cog quite quickly in this combo...go into the small ring and down a few cogs for the same ratio...that's why you have lever mounted shifters...use them.
Does any new bike still come with lever mounted shifters?
He means brake "lever" shifters.
I have no idea, what you mean.
Oh, ok. I was thinking about those 70-80's paddle gear shifters. 😉
If the suggestion is to trim FD, then I'll have to try it out and see how it would work with Veloce 10's Ergopower FD. --
A well adjusted der will allow you to trim the FD so that there is no rub in bog-big combo byut you will wear out your chainring and cog quite quickly in this combo...go into the small ring and down a few cogs for the same ratio...that's why you have lever mounted shifters...use them.
Does any new bike still come with lever mounted shifters? --
'brake' lever mounted shifters, integrated brake/lever mounted shifters, handlebar lever mounted shifters, Ergo, STI...all bikes now are comin' with them, ya know-> 'brifters', brake/shifters.
"Aeek" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Artoi said:
Does any new bike still come with lever mounted shifters?
Trek 520
When you say "lever mounted shifters," are you talking about bar-end (barcon) shifters? IF so, then the Trek 520 comes with it. So, does Bruce Gordon's BLT: