Campagnolo Veloce 10 cog question

Artoi

Guest
Just got a new bike fitted with Campagnolo Veloce 10 series of running
gears. I note that I would get a nasty chain noise when I am peddling on
the combo of largest cog at the back and disc at the front. It seemed to
be due to contact b/n the chain and the front derailleur guide. I went
to the shop and the guy told me that's how it is and relates to the
severe angle change and nothing much can be done about it.

Can people here confirm this finding? Does anyone else have similar
issue with this setting?
--

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 21:22:05 GMT, Artoi <[email protected]> wrote:

>Just got a new bike fitted with Campagnolo Veloce 10 series of running
>gears. I note that I would get a nasty chain noise when I am peddling on
>the combo of largest cog at the back and disc at the front. It seemed to
>be due to contact b/n the chain and the front derailleur guide. I went
>to the shop and the guy told me that's how it is and relates to the
>severe angle change and nothing much can be done about it.
>
>Can people here confirm this finding? Does anyone else have similar
>issue with this setting?

That's how it generally is for my Shimano geared bikes, although the
der noise can be trimmed out. The advice is not to do large-large
because it wears the chain and rear cog out at a faster rate.

In article <[email protected]>,
R Brickston <rb20170REMOVE.yahoo.com@> wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 21:22:05 GMT, Artoi <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Just got a new bike fitted with Campagnolo Veloce 10 series of running
> >gears. I note that I would get a nasty chain noise when I am peddling on
> >the combo of largest cog at the back and disc at the front. It seemed to
> >be due to contact b/n the chain and the front derailleur guide. I went
> >to the shop and the guy told me that's how it is and relates to the
> >severe angle change and nothing much can be done about it.
> >
> >Can people here confirm this finding? Does anyone else have similar
> >issue with this setting?

> That's how it generally is for my Shimano geared bikes, although the
> der noise can be trimmed out. The advice is not to do large-large
> because it wears the chain and rear cog out at a faster rate.

Thanks for the info. Good to know that I don't have a unique encounter
on the Campagnolo and it also happens with Shimano, and the guy in the
shop was correct. Looks like that these manufacturers are pushing for
the limit and trying to get a marketing edge on a technology that isn't
quite mature. Looks like that I'll just have to learn to avoid that
large to large setup.
--

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 00:03:20 GMT, Artoi <[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> R Brickston <rb20170REMOVE.yahoo.com@> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 21:22:05 GMT, Artoi <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >Just got a new bike fitted with Campagnolo Veloce 10 series of running
>> >gears. I note that I would get a nasty chain noise when I am peddling on
>> >the combo of largest cog at the back and disc at the front. It seemed to
>> >be due to contact b/n the chain and the front derailleur guide. I went
>> >to the shop and the guy told me that's how it is and relates to the
>> >severe angle change and nothing much can be done about it.
>> >
>> >Can people here confirm this finding? Does anyone else have similar
>> >issue with this setting?

>> That's how it generally is for my Shimano geared bikes, although the
>> der noise can be trimmed out. The advice is not to do large-large
>> because it wears the chain and rear cog out at a faster rate.

>Thanks for the info. Good to know that I don't have a unique encounter
>on the Campagnolo and it also happens with Shimano, and the guy in the
>shop was correct. Looks like that these manufacturers are pushing for
>the limit and trying to get a marketing edge on a technology that isn't
>quite mature. Looks like that I'll just have to learn to avoid that
>large to large setup.

That's pretty much how it's been since the invention of derailleur shifting.
It's become even more of an issue with the wider spread across a 10s cogset, but
even back in the day when "ten speed" meant five cogs and two rings we were
instructed to avoid the cross chain combinations.

Ron

In article <[email protected]>,
RonSonic <[email protected]> wrote:

> That's pretty much how it's been since the invention of derailleur shifting.
> It's become even more of an issue with the wider spread across a 10s cogset,
> but
> even back in the day when "ten speed" meant five cogs and two rings we were
> instructed to avoid the cross chain combinations.

Sure, it makes geometric sense. But I have not encountered this issue on
my old 3x8 24 speed mountain bike and was just surprised to see it on my
new bike.
--

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 00:03:20 GMT, Artoi <[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> R Brickston <rb20170REMOVE.yahoo.com@> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 21:22:05 GMT, Artoi <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >Just got a new bike fitted with Campagnolo Veloce 10 series of running
>> >gears. I note that I would get a nasty chain noise when I am peddling on
>> >the combo of largest cog at the back and disc at the front. It seemed to
>> >be due to contact b/n the chain and the front derailleur guide. I went
>> >to the shop and the guy told me that's how it is and relates to the
>> >severe angle change and nothing much can be done about it.
>> >
>> >Can people here confirm this finding? Does anyone else have similar
>> >issue with this setting?

>> That's how it generally is for my Shimano geared bikes, although the
>> der noise can be trimmed out. The advice is not to do large-large
>> because it wears the chain and rear cog out at a faster rate.

>Thanks for the info. Good to know that I don't have a unique encounter
>on the Campagnolo and it also happens with Shimano, and the guy in the
>shop was correct. Looks like that these manufacturers are pushing for
>the limit and trying to get a marketing edge on a technology that isn't
>quite mature. Looks like that I'll just have to learn to avoid that
>large to large setup.

It's more like a physical impossibility to have the chain in a diagnal
and not come into contact with the der cage or the nearest cog.

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 01:52:59 GMT, Artoi <[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> RonSonic <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> That's pretty much how it's been since the invention of derailleur shifting.
>> It's become even more of an issue with the wider spread across a 10s cogset,
>> but
>> even back in the day when "ten speed" meant five cogs and two rings we were
>> instructed to avoid the cross chain combinations.

>Sure, it makes geometric sense. But I have not encountered this issue on
>my old 3x8 24 speed mountain bike and was just surprised to see it on my
>new bike.

The mountain bike has some things going for it, a smaller big ring with a
shorter, wider front der cage and a longer chainstay so the angle isn't as
severe.

With the campy front shifter you might be able to fuss everything into an
adjustment that makes it possible to trim out any rub. But it'd be pretty sure
to compromise something else, like smooth downshifts or something. Still might
be worth a try if you're into fussing with a bike. Can't be any worse than
adjusting a Shimano front der to work at all well.

Ron

Artoi wrote:
> Just got a new bike fitted with Campagnolo Veloce 10 series of running
> gears. I note that I would get a nasty chain noise when I am peddling on
> the combo of largest cog at the back and disc at the front. It seemed to
> be due to contact b/n the chain and the front derailleur guide. I went
> to the shop and the guy told me that's how it is and relates to the
> severe angle change and nothing much can be done about it.
>
> Can people here confirm this finding? Does anyone else have similar
> issue with this setting?

http://www.panix.com/~jbarrm/pcgi-bin/c41strt.cgi

A few minutes and you will know where your duplicate gears are. On my
bike, Campy 9sp, there's no need to run the big/big, and the
little/little is pretty close to another ratio using the big ring on
the front.

My big/big combinations (53/23 or 26) run rough and noisy. --D-y

Artoi says...

> Thanks for the info. Good to know that I don't have a unique encounter
> on the Campagnolo and it also happens with Shimano, and the guy in the
> shop was correct. Looks like that these manufacturers are pushing for
> the limit and trying to get a marketing edge on a technology that isn't
> quite mature. Looks like that I'll just have to learn to avoid that
> large to large setup.

That's rich. You asked what is probably the most oft repeated newbie-
of-newbie question, then went on to make value judgements about the
manufacturer's motives.

Artoi wrote:
> Just got a new bike fitted with Campagnolo Veloce 10 series of running
> gears. I note that I would get a nasty chain noise when I am peddling on
> the combo of largest cog at the back and disc at the front. It seemed to
> be due to contact b/n the chain and the front derailleur guide. I went
> to the shop and the guy told me that's how it is and relates to the
> severe angle change and nothing much can be done about it.
>
> Can people here confirm this finding? Does anyone else have similar
> issue with this setting?
> --

A well adjusted der will allow you to trim the FD so that there is no
rub in bog-big combo byut you will wear out your chainring and cog
quite quickly in this combo...go into the small ring and down a few
cogs for the same ratio...that's why you have lever mounted
shifters...use them.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Artoi wrote:
> > Just got a new bike fitted with Campagnolo Veloce 10 series of running
> > gears. I note that I would get a nasty chain noise when I am peddling on
> > the combo of largest cog at the back and disc at the front. It seemed to
> > be due to contact b/n the chain and the front derailleur guide. I went
> > to the shop and the guy told me that's how it is and relates to the
> > severe angle change and nothing much can be done about it.
> >
> > Can people here confirm this finding? Does anyone else have similar
> > issue with this setting?
> > --

> A well adjusted der will allow you to trim the FD so that there is no
> rub in bog-big combo byut you will wear out your chainring and cog
> quite quickly in this combo...go into the small ring and down a few
> cogs for the same ratio...that's why you have lever mounted
> shifters...use them.

Ok, got the message. :)

Barnard Frederick <[email protected]> wrote:

> Artoi says...
>
> > Thanks for the info. Good to know that I don't have a unique encounter
> > on the Campagnolo and it also happens with Shimano, and the guy in the
> > shop was correct. Looks like that these manufacturers are pushing for
> > the limit and trying to get a marketing edge on a technology that isn't
> > quite mature. Looks like that I'll just have to learn to avoid that
> > large to large setup.

> That's rich. You asked what is probably the most oft repeated newbie-
> of-newbie question, then went on to make value judgements about the
> manufacturer's motives.

I admit I am a relative noob in technical biking issues. But labeling a
feature and then turn around to tell you that you really shouldn't use
it or discover the limitations, that's a long time marketing ploy that I
am very familiar with. It has nothing to do with one's experience in
cycling.

If the sales people promote 10 speed on a new bike, then I expect to be
able to use without problems all 3x10 gears. I can accept the wear
factor which is pure geometry but not the unique rubbing on the front
derailleur that can't be adjusted out.

Anyway, it's clear this is an industry wide issue. Now I know and can
now live with it.

RonSonic <[email protected]> wrote:

> The mountain bike has some things going for it, a smaller big ring with a
> shorter, wider front der cage and a longer chainstay so the angle isn't as
> severe.
>
> With the campy front shifter you might be able to fuss everything into an
> adjustment that makes it possible to trim out any rub. But it'd be pretty
> sure
> to compromise something else, like smooth downshifts or something. Still
> might
> be worth a try if you're into fussing with a bike. Can't be any worse than
> adjusting a Shimano front der to work at all well.

Thanks for the explanation. Now I understand the issue better, I will
just avoid that big-big and medium-big gears. And yes, with the shorter
wheelbase (or whatever you call that distance to the rear hub), the
angle is certainly more marked.

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote:

> A well adjusted der will allow you to trim the FD so that there is no
> rub in bog-big combo byut you will wear out your chainring and cog
> quite quickly in this combo...go into the small ring and down a few
> cogs for the same ratio...that's why you have lever mounted
> shifters...use them.

Does any new bike still come with lever mounted shifters?
--

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 22:31:38 GMT, Artoi <[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> A well adjusted der will allow you to trim the FD so that there is no
>> rub in bog-big combo byut you will wear out your chainring and cog
>> quite quickly in this combo...go into the small ring and down a few
>> cogs for the same ratio...that's why you have lever mounted
>> shifters...use them.

>Does any new bike still come with lever mounted shifters?

He means brake "lever" shifters.

I have no idea, what you mean.

Life is Good!
Jeff

In article <[email protected]>,
Jeff Starr <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 22:31:38 GMT, Artoi <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >In article <[email protected]>,
> > "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> A well adjusted der will allow you to trim the FD so that there is no
> >> rub in bog-big combo byut you will wear out your chainring and cog
> >> quite quickly in this combo...go into the small ring and down a few
> >> cogs for the same ratio...that's why you have lever mounted
> >> shifters...use them.

> >Does any new bike still come with lever mounted shifters?

> He means brake "lever" shifters.
>
> I have no idea, what you mean.

Oh, ok. I was thinking about those 70-80's paddle gear shifters. ;)

If the suggestion is to trim FD, then I'll have to try it out and see
how it would work with Veloce 10's Ergopower FD.
--

Artoi wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > A well adjusted der will allow you to trim the FD so that there is no
> > rub in bog-big combo byut you will wear out your chainring and cog
> > quite quickly in this combo...go into the small ring and down a few
> > cogs for the same ratio...that's why you have lever mounted
> > shifters...use them.

> Does any new bike still come with lever mounted shifters?
> --

'brake' lever mounted shifters, integrated brake/lever mounted
shifters, handlebar lever mounted shifters, Ergo, STI...all bikes now
are comin' with them, ya know-> 'brifters', brake/shifters.