Road Cycling · Public discussion

Campagnolo Wheels

Started by king_matt87 · · Last activity · 45 posts · 29,423 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
1 March 2004
Last activity
5 September 2009
Original author
king_matt87
Posts
45
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
29,423
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–45 of 45
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Ok i havn't heard that tought it was red? But one things is for sure Black would match my Carbon Merida IKE frame, has the shinny Record groupset 2004. So how does the step down to the Zonda compare? same G3/radial lacing and rim design etc.

  2. How easy is it to get repairs done on campag wheels ie spokes replaced?

  3. colin nago said:

    How easy is it to get repairs done on campag wheels ie spokes replaced?

    it is no more difficult than any wheel built with similar spokes (i.e. straight or bent spoke ends, recessed or not spoke nipples). for the Eurus you'll have to dismount the tire and use a relatively unusual socket wrench to true the wheel. I think that's the case with virtually any recessed spoke nipple wheel out there.

    buying spokes - you'll have to get them through some dealer as normal spokes generally won't work (unless "normal" includes the unique spokes used in many of these factory wheels).

    just as a recommendation on Campy wheels - avoid the G3 for the fronts (makes no sense). the Eurus I have (first gen, first year) have lasted three seasons with no truing and I train on them, flew them multiple times in a soft bike bag, double flatted on a pothole at 40+ mph, and even crashed on them at 30+ mph. They are off a hair in the back but not worthy of even a couple 1/8 turns of the socket wrench. I've weighed 165-190+ lbs while riding them.

    if you're looking for the fastest wheels, I whole heartedly recommend the Reynolds DV tubulars. They are not as aero as the most aero wheels but in a pack it doesn't matter. they are more aero than the eurus or box section rims. They are super light, super stiff, and super responsive. The penalty is that you'll need to replace spokes every now and then. For me, they lasted two seasons. I will be relacing all front and rear spokes this winter.

    finally, for "training" wheels, a handbuilt set of wheels will last a long time, at the penalty of a bit of aero drag and some weight. they will be very inexpensive, relatively speaking, and serviceable on the road (no hidden spoke nipples, normal spokes available anywhere). and because of their higher spoke count, a broken spoke or two probably won't make the wheel unrideable. if you do long loops where you are 30-50 miles away from civilization, such standard wheels and the knowledge on servicing them would be invaluable in case of a problem.

    good luck on your wheels
    cdr

  4. They're all good.

  5. Eurus 2005 wheels are extremely robust except when the deraillier has an argument... now i am having trouble getting a reasonable price to replace a spoke.

    flat tire said:

    I weigh 195 lbs (been trying to get down to 180-185 so I have been riding more but eating more too!) and I have had no problem with the Eurus rear wheel. That rear wheel is strong! Now I have noticed some flex with the front wheel over bumps at speed, but that no longer bothers me. They have stayed true after about 2,500 miles to date. I ride a lot of chip seal asphault and over bad railroad crossings too. I can't recall for sure, but I think the owner's manual said they are appropriate for up to a 180 pound rider. I can't find my manual at this time to confirm. I know heavier riders have reported using them (including me) with no complaints.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.