General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Campsite Recommendation please - Keswick Area

Started by AlanF · · Last activity · 7 posts · 231 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
8 August 2007
Last activity
9 August 2007
Original author
AlanF
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
231
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Afternoon all

    I am looking for recommendations for a camp-site in the Keswick area
    (within say 5/10 miles). Can anyone assist?

    (I would prefer to wilderness camp but wont get away with this with my
    partner - it gives you a flavour of what I am after though!)

    Criteria

    Quiet
    Only minimal facilities required(i.e. toilet - wont escape with a spade!)

    As far as possible tents only (will need vehicular access)

    Pleasant views of surrounding countryside - better still if it is high up.

    If there was a local dog friendly inn within walking range that would be
    a bonus.

    Cheers

    Alan

  2. Quoted message said:

    I am looking for recommendations for a camp-site in the Keswick area
    (within say 5/10 miles). Can anyone assist?

    (I would prefer to wilderness camp but wont get away with this with my
    partner - it gives you a flavour of what I am after though!)

    Criteria

    Quiet
    Only minimal facilities required(i.e. toilet - wont escape with a spade!)

    As far as possible tents only (will need vehicular access)

    Pleasant views of surrounding countryside - better still if it is high up.

    If there was a local dog friendly inn within walking range that would be a
    bonus.

    Got two suggestions Alan, although never used both but passed them many
    times on walks.

    1. NY 249 170. About 5 miles south of Keswick on the Borrowdale road to
    Grange. Cross over the bridge to Grange, then left just through the
    village. Although the OS maps has the tent symbols on west of the path, I
    have seen tents in the paddock over the wall to the east of the path.
    Sparse, and not sure about facilities, although don't recall seeing any.
    Not sure who runs it, but at a guess would say Hollows farm, which is quite
    close. I think tents only as its a rough track to the site. Think the
    nearest pub/hotel to Grange is about 2 miles down the road into Borrowdale
    at Rosthwaite.

    2. NY 244 135. About 7.5 miles along the Borrowdale road from Keswick.
    Turn down to Seathwaite farm at Seatoller, and the camp site is on the left
    of the lane just over the bridge. Looks a good location, very quiet other
    than the Derwent River, and I believe a toilet block. You could extend
    further by a mile to Seathwaite Farm. Campsite there in a stunning
    location, although further from the pub. Same with tents for this one. Pub
    in Seatoller, about 3 minutes walk.

    I am sure others on the ng will have more info on both places.

    --
    Sandy Saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk
    'Mountains or Mole Hills, summiting
    still brings the same excitement!'

  3. sandy saunders said:


    Got two suggestions Alan, although never used both but passed them many
    times on walks.

    1. NY 249 170. About 5 miles south of Keswick on the Borrowdale road
    to Grange. Cross over the bridge to Grange, then left just through the
    village. Although the OS maps has the tent symbols on west of the path,
    I have seen tents in the paddock over the wall to the east of the path.
    Sparse, and not sure about facilities, although don't recall seeing any.
    Not sure who runs it, but at a guess would say Hollows farm, which is
    quite close. I think tents only as its a rough track to the site.
    Think the nearest pub/hotel to Grange is about 2 miles down the road
    into Borrowdale at Rosthwaite.

    2. NY 244 135. About 7.5 miles along the Borrowdale road from Keswick.
    Turn down to Seathwaite farm at Seatoller, and the camp site is on the
    left of the lane just over the bridge. Looks a good location, very
    quiet other than the Derwent River, and I believe a toilet block. You
    could extend further by a mile to Seathwaite Farm. Campsite there in a
    stunning location, although further from the pub. Same with tents for
    this one. Pub in Seatoller, about 3 minutes walk.

    I am sure others on the ng will have more info on both places.

    Thanks for these suggestions Sandy - will take a look,

    Regards

    Alan

  4. "AlanF" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I am looking for recommendations for a camp-site in the Keswick area
    (within say 5/10 miles). Can anyone assist?
    Alan

    One of the best I've used in the past was at Tarn Foot, above Skelwith
    Bridge, Grid Ref. NY 345 041. Nice walks around the Tarn or up onto
    Loughrigg Fell with great views of the Langdale Pikes. Quite basic with a
    couple of loos and a washing up place - near enough to wild camping! And
    only about a mile from the pub.
    Cheers!

  5. On Aug 9, 10:41 am, "Runningfox" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    "AlanF" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I am looking for recommendations for a camp-site in the Keswick area
    (within say 5/10 miles). Can anyone assist?
    Alan

    One of the best I've used in the past was at Tarn Foot, above Skelwith
    Bridge, Grid Ref. NY 345 041. Nice walks around the Tarn or up onto
    Loughrigg Fell with great views of the Langdale Pikes. Quite basic with a
    couple of loos and a washing up place - near enough to wild camping! And
    only about a mile from the pub.
    Cheers!

    Not really in the Keswick area though;-)

    MBQ

  6. sandy saunders said:


    1. NY 249 170. About 5 miles south of Keswick on the Borrowdale road
    to Grange. Cross over the bridge to Grange, then left just through the
    village. Although the OS maps has the tent symbols on west of the path,
    I have seen tents in the paddock over the wall to the east of the path.
    Sparse, and not sure about facilities, although don't recall seeing any.
    Not sure who runs it, but at a guess would say Hollows farm, which is
    quite close. I think tents only as its a rough track to the site.
    Think the nearest pub/hotel to Grange is about 2 miles down the road
    into Borrowdale at Rosthwaite.


    The east field appears to have no facilities and is for groups - the
    west field (accessed by driving almost to the river then turning right
    into a parking area) does have showers and toilets

    http://www.hollowsfarm.co.uk/

    Nick

  7. In message <[email hidden]>, AlanF <[email hidden]>
    writes

    Quoted message said:

    Afternoon all

    I am looking for recommendations for a camp-site in the Keswick area
    (within say 5/10 miles). Can anyone assist?

    Try Burns Farm in St Johns in the Vale:

    http://www.burns-farm.co.uk

    Free hot water in the showers last time I was there!

    It's right under Blencathra, two pretty good pubs in Threlkeld which is
    within walking distance (although you do have to cross the main road).

    The Salutation let dogs in the last time I was there (including very wet
    dogs!). This might explain the wet dogs:

    http://www.blacknail.org.uk/Keswick2004/index.html

    Regards,
    --
    Neil Pugh

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.