Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

campy 10 and low ratio double chainsets

Started by Mark · · Last activity · 7 posts · 757 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
11 March 2003
Last activity
12 March 2003
Original author
Mark
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
757
Views / 30 days
12

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi all, I am building a new bike up and wanted to combine 10 speed campy with a 28-42 double
    chainset, I had thought to use Stronglight cranks but from a previous post it appears there is a
    potential problem of wedging the chain between the chainrings has anyone an alternative suggestion
    (but keeping the above combination)

    Thanks, Mark

  2. I don't believe that the chain will surf or wedge with that large a drop. It happens more when the
    chainring numbers are closer. You always could use a Shimano 9sp chain.

    The problem is what front derailleur will you use? The Campy front doubles work ok with 48t cog but
    need some grinding on to be smooth with a 46.

    Consider a triple or 48/34 double with the 13/29 x 10 sp cassette.

    Mark said:

    Hi all, I am building a new bike up and wanted to combine 10 speed campy with a 28-42 double
    chainset, I had thought to use Stronglight cranks but from a previous post it appears there is a
    potential problem of wedging the chain between the chainrings has anyone an alternative suggestion
    (but keeping the above combination)

    Thanks, Mark

  3. "Mark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all, I am building a new bike up and wanted to combine 10 speed campy with a 28-42 double
    chainset, I had thought to use Stronglight cranks but from a previous post it appears there is a
    potential problem of wedging the chain between the chainrings has anyone an alternative suggestion
    (but keeping


    the

    Quoted message said:

    above combination)

    That was my error. I was thinking of a vintage Stronglight model not the newer ones. Sorry.

    --
    Andrew Muzi yellowjersey.orgyellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

  4. "Paul Kopit" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I don't believe that the chain will surf or wedge with that large a drop. It happens more when the
    chainring numbers are closer. You always could use a Shimano 9sp chain.

    The problem is what front derailleur will you use? The Campy front doubles work ok with 48t cog
    but need some grinding on to be smooth with a 46.

    Consider a triple or 48/34 double with the 13/29 x 10 sp cassette.


    Thanks, I had planned on using a 13/29 ! I have been making a note of the ratios I use both for
    commuting and audax (including an SR series) and the
    42/28 - 13/29 covers all my needs. I will continue to use a triple
    (42/1/1) if there is no alternative however much of my cycling is in an area with lots of short
    sharp hills and this, coupled with being a bit brainless after a few hundred kms at night
    has me thinking that a double would be a better option.

    I suppose the next question as you say, is which front derailler?

    Mark

  5. Paul Kopit <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:


    The problem is what front derailleur will you use? The Campy front doubles work ok with 48t cog
    but need some grinding on to be smooth with a 46.

    Consider a triple or 48/34 double with the 13/29 x 10 sp cassette.

    The new low-ratio TA (Zephyr Light) and Stronglight (Granfondo) chainsets would appear to be a good
    choice; the TA one certainly comes in a format suitable for the extra-narrow 10sp. chain.

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  6. mark-<< I am building a new bike up and wanted to combine 10 speed campy with a 28-42
    double chainset,

    << I had thought to use Stronglight cranks but from a previous post it appears there is a potential
    problem of wedging the chain between the chainrings has anyone an alternative suggestion (but
    keeping the above combination)

    Just use them and when shifting from the big ring to small, jujst ease up on the pedal pressure a
    wee bit(as ya should do anyway) and you won't cram the chain between the rings or-use a shimano 9s
    chain..like the 105 version-

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  7. Mark said:

    Thanks, I had planned on using a 13/29 ! I have been making a note of the ratios I use both for
    commuting and audax (including an SR series) and the
    42/28 - 13/29 covers all my needs. I will continue to use a triple
    (46/36/26) if there is no alternative however much of my cycling is in an area with lots of short
    sharp hills and this, coupled with being a bit brainless after a few hundred kms at
    night has me thinking that a double would be a better option.

    I suppose the next question as you say, is which front derailler?

    I don't know the solution. If you have a Campy Triple cranks, you can try mounting only the middle
    and small ring. You can size the bottom bracket so that the middle ring sits in the same place as
    the big ring used to be. The camp triple front derailleur might work fine. It's difficult for me to
    see how you can do an SR series and could not benefit from than a 42/13.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.