Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

campy 8 speed cassete compatability

Started by Fred · · Last activity · 10 posts · 1,769 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
23 January 2003
Last activity
23 January 2003
Original author
Fred
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,769
Views / 30 days
14

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am considering buying a new cassette for my bike which is equipped with a campy 8 speed chorus
    rear derailler. I was thinking of getting a 28 cog inner cog to go with a to replace the inner cog
    on a 13-26 cassette. The campy information suggests a 26 cog is the biggest the derailler can handle
    but the seller of the 28 cog (Banford bikes) says it is no problem. Any thoughts?

  2. Quoted message said:

    From: "fred"

    Quoted message said:

    was thinking of getting a 28 cog inner cog to go with a to replace the inner cog on a 13-26
    cassette. The campy information suggests a 26 cog is the biggest the derailler can handle but the
    seller of the 28 cog (Banford bikes) says it is no problem. Any thoughts?

    Possible to use fewer teeth in front? (such as 39 instead of 42 for example) --Tom Paterson
    --Tom Paterson

  3. fred said:

    I am considering buying a new cassette for my bike which is equipped with a campy 8 speed chorus
    rear derailler. I was thinking of getting a 28 cog inner cog to go with a to replace the inner cog
    on a 13-26 cassette. The campy information suggests a 26 cog is the biggest the derailler can
    handle but the seller of the 28 cog (Banford bikes) says it is no problem. Any thoughts?

    Usually, Branford knows what they are talking about. OTOH, I have a 30-tooth cog which rides on the
    idler pully no matter what I do. Well, make that past tense, since I got rid of my 8-speed stuff.

    But I really agree with the previous response. Consider, instead, replacing the chainrings. Get a
    110mm bolt circle, or 94, so you can get much smaller than the 39 or 42 you have now. There is
    plenty of overlap between gear ratios, and you can use, say, a 52/34 with no gaps, and a much lower
    low gear. I personally use a 46/30, and a 13-26 9-speed at the moment. Very low gears, no problems
    with the derailleur.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a _`\(,_ | conclusion. --
    George Bernard Shaw (_)/ (_) |

  4. fred said:

    I am considering buying a new cassette for my bike which is equipped with a campy 8 speed chorus
    rear derailler. I was thinking of getting a 28 cog inner cog to go with a to replace the inner cog
    on a 13-26 cassette. The campy information suggests a 26 cog is the biggest the derailler can
    handle but the seller of the 28 cog (Banford bikes) says it is no problem. Any thoughts?

    I've sold a _lot_ of those cogs for that application, never had a customer report any
    problem with it.

    Sheldon "Thanks, QBP!" Brown +----------------------------------------------------+
    | I admit that reason is a small and feeble flame, | a flickering torch by stumblers carried in the
    | | star-less night, -- blown and flared by passion's | storm, -- and yet, it is the only light. |
    | Extinguish that, and nought remains. | -- Robert Green Ingersoll |
    +----------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 harriscyclery.comharriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    captainbike.comcaptainbike.com sheldonbrown.comsheldonbrown.com

  5. It works fine. I bought the cog but haven't used it. I'll ship it to you for $15.

    The 13/28 cassette can be bought for ~$35 and you'll get a better spacing for the 28 than the 23,28
    you are going to have just buying the 28.

    fred said:

    I am considering buying a new cassette for my bike which is equipped with a campy 8 speed chorus
    rear derailler. I was thinking of getting a 28 cog inner cog to go with a to replace the inner cog
    on a 13-26 cassette. The campy information suggests a 26 cog is the biggest the derailler can
    handle but the seller of the 28 cog (Banford bikes) says it is no problem. Any thoughts?

  6. dalauro-<< I was thinking of getting a 28 cog inner cog to go with a to replace the inner cog on a
    13-26 cassette.

    Shiftintg from the 23 to a 28 may be a problem but not for the rder, it can handle the 28. You may
    want to remove the 14 instead.

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  7. fred said:

    The campy information suggests a 26 cog is the biggest the derailler can handle but the seller of
    the 28 cog (Banford bikes) says it is no problem.

    If you do get any trouble (after adjusting 'b' screw), make sure chain is as short as possible for
    the big-big. This will help pull the derailler away from the cog.

    explainantions & further details: sheldonbrown.comderailer adjustment.html
    parktool.comFAQchainlength.shtml

    ~PB

  8. A very costly solution just to get a few gear inches. If all that is needed is the 28, the worst
    case scenario for his 8sp derailleur is to get a longer 'b' tension screw, which is not usually
    necessary.

    On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 20:58:57 -0500, "David L. Johnson" <David L. Johnson

    Quoted message said:

    But I really agree with the previous response. Consider, instead, replacing the chainrings. Get a
    110mm bolt circle, or 94, so you can get much smaller than the 39 or 42 you have now. There is
    plenty of overlap between gear ratios, and you can use, say, a 52/34 with no gaps, and a much lower
    low gear. I personally use a 46/30, and a 13-26 9-speed at the moment. Very low gears, no problems
    with the derailleur.

  9. I did the same on Branfords advice and found it worked fine with my Cannondale. Ib fact, I did not
    have to lengthen the chain

    Luigi "Tom Paterson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    From: "fred"

    Quoted message said:

    was thinking of getting a 28 cog inner cog to go with a to replace the inner cog on a 13-26
    cassette.


    The

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    campy information suggests a 26 cog is the biggest the derailler can


    handle

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    but the seller of the 28 cog (Banford bikes) says it is no problem. Any thoughts?

    Possible to use fewer teeth in front? (such as 39 instead of 42 for


    example)

    Quoted message said:

    --Tom Paterson --Tom Paterson

  10. Paul Kopit said:

    A very costly solution just to get a few gear inches. If all that is needed is the 28, the worst
    case scenario for his 8sp derailleur is to get a longer 'b' tension screw, which is not usually
    necessary.

    On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 20:58:57 -0500, "David L. Johnson" <David L. Johnson

    Quoted message said:

    But I really agree with the previous response. Consider, instead, replacing the chainrings. Get a
    110mm bolt circle, or 94, so you can get much smaller than the 39 or 42 you have now. There is
    plenty of overlap between gear ratios, and you can use, say, a 52/34 with no gaps, and a much
    lower low gear. I personally use a 46/30, and a 13-26 9-speed at the moment. Very low gears, no
    problems with the derailleur.

    Actually, that is part of my point. Going to the 28 versus the 26 will indeed only get you a few
    inches, for $15. Getting a new crank (OK, $60) that has a more reasonably bolt pattern, so you get
    use a 34 or smaller inner ring, gets you more than a few inches.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | What is objectionable, and what is dangerous about extremists is _`\(,_ | not that they are
    extreme, but that they are intolerant. (_)/ (_) | --Robert F. Kennedy

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.