campy CT front changer...lack of internal throw w/ UT cranks >>>

i have a campy chorus CT front changer running on a 10speed ergo
setup. worked great w/ FSA SL-K megaexo compact 50-34 cranks.

just fitted a new set of chorus UT 50-34 compact cranks, and the
chainline appears to 1-2mm closer than the FSAs. the result is that
there is insufficient inward throw for the CT changer to clear the
chain when i'm running the smallest gear (i.e, small ring, big cog)
combo. i've adjusted the height and angle as much as the braze-on
allows and i've backed out the inner adjustment screw completely
(i.e., take it completely out of the equation).

still, the chain brushes the inner plate of the front changer. the
frame is a C40HP...i cant imagine there is some sort incorrectness w/
the of braze-on specs - it's about as italian as you can get!

anyone else have problems like this, ideally w/ a solution to
recommend?

[email protected] wrote:
> i have a campy chorus CT front changer running on a 10speed ergo
> setup. worked great w/ FSA SL-K megaexo compact 50-34 cranks.
>
> just fitted a new set of chorus UT 50-34 compact cranks, and the
> chainline appears to 1-2mm closer than the FSAs. the result is that
> there is insufficient inward throw for the CT changer to clear the
> chain when i'm running the smallest gear (i.e, small ring, big cog)
> combo. i've adjusted the height and angle as much as the braze-on
> allows and i've backed out the inner adjustment screw completely
> (i.e., take it completely out of the equation).
>
> still, the chain brushes the inner plate of the front changer. the
> frame is a C40HP...i cant imagine there is some sort incorrectness w/
> the of braze-on specs - it's about as italian as you can get!
>
> anyone else have problems like this, ideally w/ a solution to
> recommend?

Yes I have with a Scott CR1 frame and a Record Compact crank (old
style). I cheated a little with the chainline with a 0.5 mm spacer and
did some grinding on the pivot arms of the CT FD. What a stupid design.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)

"Lou Holtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] wrote:
>> i have a campy chorus CT front changer running on a 10speed ergo
>> setup. worked great w/ FSA SL-K megaexo compact 50-34 cranks.
>>
>> just fitted a new set of chorus UT 50-34 compact cranks, and the
>> chainline appears to 1-2mm closer than the FSAs. the result is that
>> there is insufficient inward throw for the CT changer to clear the
>> chain when i'm running the smallest gear (i.e, small ring, big cog)
>> combo. i've adjusted the height and angle as much as the braze-on
>> allows and i've backed out the inner adjustment screw completely
>> (i.e., take it completely out of the equation).
>>
>> still, the chain brushes the inner plate of the front changer. the
>> frame is a C40HP...i cant imagine there is some sort incorrectness w/
>> the of braze-on specs - it's about as italian as you can get!
>>
>> anyone else have problems like this, ideally w/ a solution to
>> recommend?
>>

> Yes I have with a Scott CR1 frame and a Record Compact crank (old style).
> I cheated a little with the chainline with a 0.5 mm spacer and did some
> grinding on the pivot arms of the CT FD. What a stupid design.
>
> Lou
> --

My old style C-40 w/CT mech and FSA Carbon Pro compact cranks is OK and uses
some inner limit screw to get there. IIRC when I swapped out standard
Record crank for the FSA with the regular Record changer it took little or
no adjustment to work. Holtman's fix seems a reasonable approach, but it is
hard to imagine why it is necessary.

Jeffrey

me wrote:
> "Lou Holtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>> i have a campy chorus CT front changer running on a 10speed ergo
>>> setup. worked great w/ FSA SL-K megaexo compact 50-34 cranks.
>>>
>>> just fitted a new set of chorus UT 50-34 compact cranks, and the
>>> chainline appears to 1-2mm closer than the FSAs. the result is that
>>> there is insufficient inward throw for the CT changer to clear the
>>> chain when i'm running the smallest gear (i.e, small ring, big cog)
>>> combo. i've adjusted the height and angle as much as the braze-on
>>> allows and i've backed out the inner adjustment screw completely
>>> (i.e., take it completely out of the equation).
>>>
>>> still, the chain brushes the inner plate of the front changer. the
>>> frame is a C40HP...i cant imagine there is some sort incorrectness w/
>>> the of braze-on specs - it's about as italian as you can get!
>>>
>>> anyone else have problems like this, ideally w/ a solution to
>>> recommend?
>>>

>> Yes I have with a Scott CR1 frame and a Record Compact crank (old style).
>> I cheated a little with the chainline with a 0.5 mm spacer and did some
>> grinding on the pivot arms of the CT FD. What a stupid design.
>>
>> Lou
>> --

> My old style C-40 w/CT mech and FSA Carbon Pro compact cranks is OK and uses
> some inner limit screw to get there. IIRC when I swapped out standard
> Record crank for the FSA with the regular Record changer it took little or
> no adjustment to work. Holtman's fix seems a reasonable approach, but it is
> hard to imagine why it is necessary.

Because it is a stupid design. A new designed CT FD that can not handle
modern frames with oversized seattubes.

Lou
--

On Mar 12, 1:01 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> i have a campy chorus CT front changer running on a 10speed ergo
> setup. worked great w/ FSA SL-K megaexo compact 50-34 cranks.
>
> just fitted a new set of chorus UT 50-34 compact cranks, and the
> chainline appears to 1-2mm closer than the FSAs. the result is that
> there is insufficient inward throw for the CT changer to clear the
> chain when i'm running the smallest gear (i.e, small ring, big cog)
> combo. i've adjusted the height and angle as much as the braze-on
> allows and i've backed out the inner adjustment screw completely
> (i.e., take it completely out of the equation).
>
> still, the chain brushes the inner plate of the front changer. the
> frame is a C40HP...i cant imagine there is some sort incorrectness w/
> the of braze-on specs - it's about as italian as you can get!
>
> anyone else have problems like this, ideally w/ a solution to
> recommend?

Fat seat tubes some times make for the issue you are having. No real
fix. You cpuld use a none compact FD, or an older FD with steel cages,
thinner-It will still shift just fine.

you may notice that campy realized they have a problem...the inner-
cage of their 2007 compact front-changers is completely different to
the 1st-gen compact fronts.

in fact, the front looks more like FSA's compact front changer!