I'm in the process of building up a winter bike to be used down to approximately 0 Fahrenheit. I'm trying to decide between barcons and Ergo (I generally prefer Ergo) and am concerned about the more complex mechanism of the ergo having problems in the cold.
I have used both extensivly in the winter and have never had a problem with the Ergos or barcons siezing up in the cold.
The ergos are wonderful for my hands in the summer or with light gloves but I would tell you to try a ride on the ergos using the gloves you plan on wearing during the cold. I find that my thick gloves want to press down on the thumb button just a little bit, thereby locking the mechinism and preventing an upshift.
Other than that remember that the campy ergos are re-buildabale in the spring.
Dave Reckoning
"Eric Douglas" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
I'm in the process of building up a winter bike to be used down to approximately 0 Fahrenheit. I'm trying to decide between barcons and Ergo (I generally prefer Ergo) and am concerned about the more complex mechanism of the ergo having problems in the cold.
I'm in the process of building up a winter bike to be used down to approximately 0 Fahrenheit. I'm trying to decide between barcons and Ergo (I generally prefer Ergo) and am concerned about the more complex mechanism of the ergo having problems in the cold.
Any thoughts?
Hence the preference for fixed gear bikes in winter, I think.
I'm in the process of building up a winter bike to be used down to approximately 0 Fahrenheit. I'm trying to decide between barcons and Ergo (I generally prefer Ergo) and am concerned about the more complex mechanism of the ergo having problems in the cold.
i'd worry more about winter crud than winter cold. -- david reuteler [email hidden]
ekdouglas-<< I'm in the process of building up a winter bike to be used down to approximately 0 Fahrenheit. I'm trying to decide between barcons and Ergo (I generally prefer Ergo) and am concerned about the more complex mechanism of the ergo having problems in the cold. >><BR><BR>
Very simple internal mechanism with few moving parts. I would worry about cables/housing but not the ERGO levers.
Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302 (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"
Ergo levers are actually very simple inside. When Campag introduced them they simply took the internal mechanism of the Synchro downtube shifter and turned it sideways. All that is inside is a notched ring, 2 springs to fit into it and some cartridge bearings. You won't have any problems with them.
Jason
"Eric Douglas" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
I'm in the process of building up a winter bike to be used down to approximately 0 Fahrenheit. I'm trying to decide between barcons and Ergo (I generally prefer Ergo) and am concerned about the more complex mechanism of the ergo having problems in the cold.
Seconded. My first set lasted for nearly 7 years before needing rebuilding (chalk another one up for Peter Chisolm!). Compare that against the previous set of Dura-Ace, that lasted for 1.5 winters, no rebuilding possible. This was through some pretty wet, dirty winters with lots of miles here in Seattle.
-pete
<[email hidden]> wrote in message news:a0pEd.56674$Cl3.20364@fed1read03...
Quoted message said:
Ergo levers are actually very simple inside. When Campag introduced them they simply took the internal mechanism of the Synchro downtube shifter and turned it sideways. All that is inside is a notched ring, 2 springs to fit into it and some cartridge bearings. You won't have any problems with them.
Jason
"Eric Douglas" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
I'm in the process of building up a winter bike to be used down to approximately 0 Fahrenheit. I'm trying to decide between barcons and Ergo (I generally prefer Ergo) and am concerned about the more complex mechanism of the ergo having problems in the cold.