Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Campy Ergo last resort

Started by Jim Flom · · Last activity · 6 posts · 346 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
19 July 2004
Last activity
20 July 2004
Original author
Jim Flom
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
346
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm having front end shifting probs, and I think it's the shifter. It was
    becoming increasingly difficult to shift from the small to the large
    chainring, until this weekend it failed. The derailer cage moves toward the
    larger ring, but will not move the chain, unless I take two swings, and even
    then the shift is not guaranteed.

    I don't think it's the derailer adjustment. I've tried working the low and
    high end der adjustments accordingly and only end up over-shooting the high,
    for example, in trying to get the chain to move. I think the derailer is
    fine.

    I think it's the shifter. __I have had to move the swing arm farther than
    normal in order to shift to the large chainring.__ I recently mentioned
    that like another poster, the swing arm on my left-hand 2002 Chorus 10-sp
    ergo shifter extends just a bit past the brake lever (may or may not be
    relevant). It has for at least a year. There was a hairline crack (again,
    may or may not be relevant) in the shifter housing that my LBS suggested
    trying superglue to seal. It worked (nice). Unfortunately, the swing arm
    still went too far when shifting to the large ring. I replaced right and
    left G-springs recently, and while I got the nice click back, it didn't
    correct the shifting problem. (I realize some don't bother replacing
    G-springs in left-hand shifters.)

    This morning I did a dis-assembly/reassembly of the left shifter, all except
    the front-most section, which I looked at carefully but did not break down.
    It appears fine.

    I would sort of rather not spring for beautiful new Chorus carbon 10-speed
    shifters. Another Campy-phile here in British Columbia has told me the
    ratio of Shimano to Campy is 50:1. Good Campy help is hard to find.
    Components run twice American prices it seems. If I can't fix it I may send
    it to Peter C. to see what he can do. Any suggestions?

    Thanks.

    JF

  2. "Jim Flom" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:PIYKc.99017$eO.32163@edtnps89:

    Quoted message said:

    I would sort of rather not spring for beautiful new Chorus carbon
    10-speed shifters. Another Campy-phile here in British Columbia
    has told me the ratio of Shimano to Campy is 50:1. Good Campy
    help is hard to find. Components run twice American prices it
    seems. If I can't fix it I may send it to Peter C. to see what he
    can do. Any suggestions?


    Hummm, you are in BC and good Campy shops are hard to find...you should
    get out more. In Vancouver are two of the finest bike stores and Campy
    first ones I have ever seen and I travel a lot. Try La bicicletta
    /www.labicicletta.ca/ or el Campione> /www.campionecycles.com/ and the
    prices are on average less than most of the American and for sure the
    EU stuff. Hey that 50:1 is only if you include mtn bikes as I would
    estimate that road stuff here is about 50:50.

  3. "Mike Latondresse" wrote...

    Quoted message said:


    Hummm, you are in BC and good Campy shops are hard to find...you should
    get out more. In Vancouver are two of the finest bike stores and Campy
    first ones I have ever seen and I travel a lot. Try La bicicletta
    /www.labicicletta.ca/ or el Campione> /www.campionecycles.com/ and the
    prices are on average less than most of the American and for sure the
    EU stuff. Hey that 50:1 is only if you include mtn bikes as I would
    estimate that road stuff here is about 50:50.

    Thanks. I'm about an hour and a half from Vancouver. Plan A would be to
    fix it myself, so I'm hoping for some guidance in this forum. Plan B might
    be...

  4. jim-<< The derailer cage moves toward the
    larger ring, but will not move the chain, unless I take two swings, and even
    then the shift is not guaranteed. >><BR><BR>

    Make sure the shifter is assembled correctly and replace the g springs. Also
    ensure the front der moves smoothly in and out w/o any cable atached and also
    ensure it moves smoothly beneath you BB shell.

    I have never seen a Campagnolo shifter 'fail' to the point of not being
    repairable.

    Send it to me if you wish.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com
    "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  5. "Jim Flom" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<sM1Lc.79148$Rf.68266@edtnps84>...

    Quoted message said:

    "Mike Latondresse" wrote...

    Quoted message said:


    Hummm, you are in BC and good Campy shops are hard to find...you should
    get out more. In Vancouver are two of the finest bike stores and Campy
    first ones I have ever seen and I travel a lot. Try La bicicletta
    /www.labicicletta.ca/ or el Campione> /www.campionecycles.com/ and the
    prices are on average less than most of the American and for sure the
    EU stuff. Hey that 50:1 is only if you include mtn bikes as I would
    estimate that road stuff here is about 50:50.

    Thanks. I'm about an hour and a half from Vancouver. Plan A would be to
    fix it myself, so I'm hoping for some guidance in this forum. Plan B might
    be...

    Hi Jim, Brandford bike carries a slew of parts, and I'm sure also,
    that Peter Chisholm at Vecchios might be able to help too.

    Since you have replaced parts, and still have a problem, it sounds to
    me that the housing, perhaps because it is cracked, is stretching. Not
    sure if these parts are available, but I'm pretty sure it is possible
    to just buy one shifter if need be. I believe Brandford has them.

    You wouldn't have to buy the complete set. Maybe then, just keep the
    original shifter for spare parts?

  6. "Qui si parla Campagnolo " wrote...

    Quoted message said:


    Make sure the shifter is assembled correctly and replace the g springs.


    Also

    Quoted message said:

    ensure the front der moves smoothly in and out w/o any cable atached and


    also

    Quoted message said:

    ensure it moves smoothly beneath you BB shell.

    I'm not going to replace the g springs again, since I just did that. I
    believe the front der and movement under the BB are fine, and I believe it's
    assembled properly. These Vancouver shops might be great, but I don't know
    them, so... look for it in the mail, Peter! Should get it out today. I'll
    be curious to find out your diagnosis.

    Jim

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.