<[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:My Centaur shifters (10 speed) were working perfectly normaly up until
this morning's ride, When I satrted to shift this morning, instead of
the usual click-click as I shift my right hand shifter shifted
quietly and smoothly (in a bad-no feedback sort of way), almost as if
some elves had snuck into the shop and rounded off some gear teeth. The
shifts still hold; no gear slipage, but the jack of a ratcheting feel
has me concerned---plus the lack of feedback means I have to pay more
attention to shifting. Interestingly, I still get a ratchet sound when
the levers return anter I've pushed them; its the "push" phase that's
eirily/ distressingly/ oddly silent.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Eric Douglas
This may be similar to mine, last year. My thumb shift lever would fall
away, no resistance, and no shift, part of the time. The lever behind the
brake lever worked normally, as I recall, and the bike would stay in gear.
One small drop of oil was required on each end of the pivot pin for the pawl
that pushes the gear wheel when the thumb button is pushed. Roll the
handlebar side of the lever cover up and over the thumb button. (Don't
worry, the rubber will not rip.) Oil the pivot pin, which is located near
the base of the thumb lever. Roll the rubber back into position. That's
all.
__o
Keep on Ridin' `\ <
(*)/(*)
***********************************************
* Al Williams [email hidden] *
* San Jose CA Chief Cyclist, DNRC *
***********************************************